Image Spill-Over due to Zooming - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 01-03-2012, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying to setup a 2.35 CIH system and wondering if someone could help me with the following question.

I will be using a JVC-X30 (aka RS-45) with a zero-edge BlackDiamond 1.4
I will be using the zooming/lens memory feature and won't be needing an A-lens.

Would the spill-over bars (on both the top/bottom) due to zooming be visible if i don't have any mask treatment. My screen will be mounted on a bare light-colored wall. I am assuming it will be dark/black bars and would appear more or less like "shadows" and would not be distracting.

The fact that i don't have any bezel/edge on my screen would make the issue more pronounced. Appreciate your input on this.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-04-2012, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 48
It can be because even with DiLA, the black bars are still projected light. Black is defined as the absence of visible light and because the bars are part of the projected image, they can not be true to the definition.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #3 of 21 Old 01-05-2012, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The light spill will be visible. Whether you care about it or not is something else again.

Once a movie starts, I tend not to notice ANYTHING except what is going-on within the image. For poor quality DVDs, I can even zoom them-out (make them smaller) such that the image fits inside of my 10' screen and still I can ignore the overspill.

That said, you should at a minimum paint your wall some pleasing darker color (satin or flat) or cover it with a fabric (good for sound too).

In any case these will be relatively cheap fixes if you set-up the system and don't like what you see.
post #4 of 21 Old 01-07-2012, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hopefully with a JVC projector the black bars will be a very dark gray and not too noticeable. I have an older projector outfitted with an A lens and yes the addition of the A lens totally eliminates this issue in addition to preventing scanning of 1.78:1 preview or menus from being projected above and below the screen. A video processor can eliminate any video from being projected into the black bar region. This along with the JVC might be enough for you. You will read a lot about the pro and cons of A lens in this forum. I have tried zooming back before I knew A lens existed. I can fully understand that when one has a 50K + projector adding an additional lens in front of the high quality optics could deteriorate the picture quality so I can see both sides of the arguments but for me with my Sony projector the A lens eliminated of over spill vertically and did not cause a perceptible loss of resolution. I recommend trying one method at a time and stopping when you are satisfied.
post #5 of 21 Old 01-11-2012, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have just put up a huge piece of black cloth on the wall behind my 2,35:1 screen because I was distracted by the overspill
It's a good and cheap solution
post #6 of 21 Old 01-13-2012, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Similar to what Jake51 has done, place two strips of black material above and below the screen.

I must say I use a motorised screen(16:9) and raise the bottom of the screen up for 2.35:1 viewing. The light coloured wall is approx 2' back from the screen and I never notice the black bars projected on the wall, however when there is a full 16:9 image, yes.

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
Hiran J Wijeyesekera - 1985.
post #7 of 21 Old 01-16-2012, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone (zooming) done a floating screen? The issue at hand would not be seen as it shot off the top and bottom.

Mark Techer

post #8 of 21 Old 01-17-2012, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

I was just wondering the same thing myself. I was looking at photos of the zero-edge BD and they have a mounting option that make use of "floating" cables from the ceiling. This would indeed make the over-spill bars "fall off/behind" the top and bottom edge; thus invisible. I know there are cheaper options to accomplish this but you have to admit that the zero-edge looks really cool!!
post #9 of 21 Old 01-17-2012, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

Has anyone (zooming) done a floating screen? The issue at hand would not be seen as it shot off the top and bottom.

I guess both my screens are floaters of sorts....cannot see bottom or top black bar for that matter, when zooming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58Ncvn_Qtdg

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
Hiran J Wijeyesekera - 1985.
post #10 of 21 Old 01-17-2012, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIH_NOOB View Post

I was just wondering the same thing myself. I was looking at photos of the zero-edge BD and they have a mounting option that make use of "floating" cables from the ceiling. This would indeed make the over-spill bars "fall off/behind" the top and bottom edge; thus invisible. I know there are cheaper options to accomplish this but you have to admit that the zero-edge looks really cool!!

Went to a real cinema (privately owned not commercial chain) that did this in one of their main cinemas. I liked how the image seemed to float and did not have a standard "stage" like most cinemas do.

Mark Techer

post #11 of 21 Old 01-17-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

My screen pretty much "floats" with the back wall about 2' away. It lessens the impact of the over-spill but it's still there if one wants to look at it.
post #12 of 21 Old 02-03-2012, 03:58 AM

Doesnt the rs45 have a blanking feature? I zoom and blank the top and bottom overspill
post #13 of 21 Old 02-03-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagpwner View Post

Doesnt the rs45 have a blanking feature? I zoom and blank the top and bottom overspill

Not sure what the "blanking feature" is that you're referring to, but if it is internal shutters (like my Mits HC4900 and most others have) these do not eliminate (thought they do minimize) light overspill.
post #14 of 21 Old 02-03-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

Not sure what the "blanking feature" is that you're referring to, but if it is internal shutters (like my Mits HC4900 and most others have) these do not eliminate (thought they do minimize) light overspill.

blanking masks the top and bottom electronically. just crops out the light thats overspill... for my sony it totally removes any overspill
post #15 of 21 Old 02-04-2012, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter

What is the "granularity" of this "blanking" feature on the Sony VW95ES?
What units do these numerical values map to internally?
The dimensions of the overspill bars (thickness) depends on the size of one's Cinemascope screen? How would one know how much blanking is required based on these settings? I assume one keep increasing the numerical value until no more spillage is observed? Seems like a neat feature. Does indeed solve my immediate problem. Wondering what other projectors (or the Sony HW30) have this feature....
post #16 of 21 Old 02-04-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm there's still a lamp and a round lens--if the Sony is able to cut-off all light at the bottom edge of a rectangular screen, that's a technology with which I am unacquanted.
post #17 of 21 Old 02-04-2012, 11:42 PM

it goes from 0-50. u just keep increasing it till it reaches the edge of your screen.

you set lens shift to roughly set the image in the middle first though. then stand close to the screen and adjust off the overspill with blank.

not sure if the 30es has it i use a 95
post #18 of 21 Old 02-05-2012, 08:13 AM
tr6

I'm trying to understand this correctly, if you are zooming instead of using an anamorphic lens are you cutting off parts of the left & right side of the movie by overscanning past the screen border?
post #19 of 21 Old 02-05-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr6 View Post

I'm trying to understand this correctly, if you are zooming instead of using an anamorphic lens are you cutting off parts of the left & right side of the movie by overscanning past the screen border?

No you are merely enlarging the image along with the projector black bars.
post #20 of 21 Old 02-06-2012, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

I float my Silverstar out from the wall so that the screen is even with the front edge of my mains and center. While using the zoom method, this helps with the overspill, but it is still noticeable if you look for it. Since I have always used a Silverstar though, I wonder if it is the floating or the brightness of the screen that is the most important factor in noticing overspill?
post #21 of 21 Old 02-06-2012, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam-DiVine View Post

I float my Silverstar out from the wall so that the screen is even with the front edge of my mains and center. While using the zoom method, this helps with the overspill, but it is still noticeable if you look for it. Since I have always used a Silverstar though, I wonder if it is the floating or the brightness of the screen that is the most important factor in noticing overspill?

As far as my eyes are concerned overspill is MUCH harder to pick up above the screen than below it, since your eyes are first and foremost taking in all the light that the image has to offer. The slight overspill that gets noticed on the bottom of my setup is only noticeable in my peripheral vision while looking at the image and trying to find the overspill, if I try and look directly at the same area for the over spill I can't spot it. I also think that this is one instance where having a completely light controlled room is a a disadvantage because it makes the very minimal amount of light in the overspill that much easier to spot.

Hope that makes some kind of sense, lol.

Bill
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat