Panamorph UH480 : Avatar movie - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 01-31-2012, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking at one of the Screen Innovation youtube videos where they were demoing the Avatar movie using a Panamorph UH480 A-lens and a CinemaScope screen.

I am sure that the Avatar movie is in 16:9 (1.78 wide mode) format. But they manage to fit the movie entirely on the CinemaScope screen without any pillar bars.

How could this be done using an A-lens that is fixed in place when being fed a 16:9 input? Is that what they mean by anamorphic mode 2 scaling done internally by the projector? Do most of the projectors have this feature?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-31-2012, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Like this

We have argued the point as blue as the navi themselves. Cameron shot in 16:9 digital but framed his production to originally be presented in Scope.

In 3D post, he opened the mats for more height. I too found that I wanted the image larger in 3D as at the same size as a 3D image looks smaller to me than the same image in 2D. This has been documented here on AVS and I guess Cameron experienced the same thing.

AVATAR was presented in Scope for all 2D and some 3D presentations. IMAX and CIW cinemas got a 16:9 version. In the end of the day, this film is meant to be presented in the largest screen format possible. In my home cinema, the largest format is Scope. On the average TV in lounge rooms around the world, that would be 16:9 and why the BD of this film is 16:9.
LL

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #3 of 15 Old 02-01-2012, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I want to buy Avatar in 2,40:1
Why can't I
post #4 of 15 Old 02-01-2012, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[quote=CAVX;21578132]Like this

I suppose there is no way to do this by zooming as the rest of the 16:9 image would be showing up on the top and bottom of the screen wall.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

post #5 of 15 Old 02-01-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by willscam View Post

I suppose there is no way to do this by zooming as the rest of the 16:9 image would be showing up on the top and bottom of the screen wall.

Some projectors and video processors have a "blanking" feature that can black out the top and bottom of the image, essentially adding letterbox bars. So it's not impossible, but you will need equipment that has this feature.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #6 of 15 Old 02-01-2012, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Some projectors and video processors have a "blanking" feature that can black out the top and bottom of the image, essentially adding letterbox bars. So it's not impossible, but you will need equipment that has this feature.

I watched this the other night with my Panasonic using this feature It's great that the forced subs are in the proper location too.

Bill
post #7 of 15 Old 02-01-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Always best to try the search engine first. Here's two threads (about 400 posts discussing Avatar's aspect ratio and CIH:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=avatar

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=avatar

Not trying to come off as harsh...but I can see where this "Could" head.....

For all members, please DO NOT turn this into a debate thread on rescaling avatar (or it will be closed)...please limit posts to the OP's questions. This is an opportunity to help a new person vs revisit the debate (take it to one of the two exisiting threads).

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #8 of 15 Old 02-01-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

I watched this the other night with my Panasonic using this feature It's great that the forced subs are in the proper location too.

Bill

Bill, does this feature allow you to shift the image up or down too? A slight shift up (5%maybe) would solve the slight head clips on the closer ups and make this a much better experience.

Mark Techer

post #9 of 15 Old 02-01-2012, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

Bill, does this feature allow you to shift the image up or down too? A slight shift up (5%maybe) would solve the slight head clips on the closer ups and make this a much better experience.

I will check it when I go out to the garage tonight and let you know but it SHOULD shift the image while keeping the electronic masks right where they are, just like putting a picture behind a mat in a frame.

Bill
post #10 of 15 Old 02-01-2012, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

I will check it when I go out to the garage tonight and let you know but it SHOULD shift the image while keeping the electronic masks right where they are, just like putting a picture behind a mat in a frame.

Bill

That would be great. The biggest issue with converting a film like this for Scope projection is the risk of head clipping. If the image can be vertically shifted, then this is no longer an issue.

Mark Techer

post #11 of 15 Old 02-01-2012, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That would be great. The biggest issue with converting a film like this for Scope projection is the risk of head clipping. If the image can be vertically shifted, then this is no longer an issue.

I checked, you can shift the image up and down behind the electronic mask without issue, a decent amount in fact. To center a 2.40:1 image in my screen are I run a -14 vertical shift.

I use the zoom method and I have my 16:9 screen hard masked to 2.20:1 and then I use my electronic mask to completely eliminate any picture over spill. There is still a very VERY faint light, my room is totally light controlled, but since the mask feature in the Panny is digital then that is to be expected. I will eventually be moving to a 2.35:1 screen and keeping my 16:9 electric for whenever the urge to watch somthing that tall arises.

Bill
post #12 of 15 Old 02-02-2012, 03:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Cool, thanks for sharing that. Hopefully this has answered the OPs question as two different options view this film.

Mark Techer

post #13 of 15 Old 02-02-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:

I'm trying to be mindful of Rob's request that we not revisit the Avatar aspect ratio debate, but I do want to point out that shifting the image down a tad to fix the clipped foreheads will wind up clipping on-screen text at the bottom of the frame in some scenes. Cameron had the text overlays repositioned in the 16:9 transfer, so it's not quite 2.35:1 safe no matter what you do. I found that a compromise matting of 2.20:1 works just about perfectly, without the need for vertical shifting.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #14 of 15 Old 02-02-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

I'm trying to be mindful of Rob's request that we not revisit the Avatar aspect ratio debate, but I do want to point out that shifting the image down a tad to fix the clipped foreheads will wind up clipping on-screen text at the bottom of the frame in some scenes. Cameron had the text overlays repositioned in the 16:9 transfer, so it's not quite 2.35:1 safe no matter what you do. I found that a compromise matting of 2.20:1 works just about perfectly, without the need for vertical shifting.

Josh: Thanks for the info...

Please don't take my post as to stifle responses like yours. I just didn't want this to head into the realm of bickering the other threads disolved into....since we have two existing threads that can serve that role.

Thanks for your continued contribution, as well as Mark's in this forum

Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #15 of 15 Old 02-02-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 118
If you're using a htpc there's playback software that will let you black out the top and bottom to your liking.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page