CIH - HTPC, Shrink Method and Media application questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-14-2012, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I've posted this in the HTPC forum but have had little to no response. Maybe I'm not clear or its so simple and I don't see it.

Anyway, thought I'd post here in hopes that people that go CIH would understand what I'm looking for.

My current projector does not have lens memory nor the capability to do the "Shrink Method" (rescaling), so I was hopeful my HTPC could handle this task for me. Ok heres what I'm after.

I use zoom on my projector to fill the scope image 2.4 CIH. My projector does not have memory function, nor re-scaling capability (shrink method). I'd like my HTPC to do this. Ultimately would like to keep it zoomed and have the HTPC digitally re-scale to 16:9.

1) Is there a quick (hot button) type setting in the Win 7 OS that would allow this when not running a media application (ie. MCE, XBMC, etc).

2) As I understand, MPC-HC can do this with a key stroke - is this true and how? Do either of the other two media applications have this functionality? What would be real cool is if you could tie the function to each individual movie (via meta data?) so that the media player automatically switches to a preset scaling in memory depending on what aspect ratio the movie was tied to.

I will eventually get a new projector, but I'm really no rush to buy a new one and in the mean time I'd like to set this up.

Any help appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-14-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I tested a version were I created a desktop with 2.35:1 ratio. A movie gets shrinked in a desktop like that.

Good movies are as rare as an on topic discussion.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-14-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I'm using XBMC to do this as of a couple weeks ago: the projector is zoomed as if using CIH zoom method; the XBMC dashboard is sized to fit the full screen (in my case 2.125:1 aspect ratio); 2.35 movies are displayed at their native resolution (unscaled, filling the screen horizontally), 16:9 movies are scaled down to fit the screen vertically. Works well so far, but still sort of in the experimental stage right now. So far, I don't mind the loss in 16:9 resolution at least for the little that I've used it (most of the stuff I tend to watch is cinemascope); and in case I do, I can always bypass and readjust the projector zoom (or play back a physical blu-ray).

Can't speak to your questions re: doing it outside of XBMC though.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-14-2012, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

I'm using XBMC to do this as of a couple weeks ago: the projector is zoomed as if using CIH zoom method; the XBMC dashboard is sized to fit the full screen (in my case 2.125:1 aspect ratio); 2.35 movies are displayed at their native resolution (unscaled, filling the screen horizontally), 16:9 movies are scaled down to fit the screen vertically. Works well so far, but still sort of in the experimental stage right now. So far, I don't mind the loss in 16:9 resolution at least for the little that I've used it (most of the stuff I tend to watch is cinemascope); and in case I do, I can always bypass and readjust the projector zoom (or play back a physical blu-ray).

Can't speak to your questions re: doing it outside of XBMC though.

Hey Brad - this sounds like what I'm looking for. XBMC does this automatically via a setting? how did you set it up to do this?
post #5 of 7 Old 02-14-2012, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Yes, when a video is playing, you can bring up a menu, and select "Video Calibration" - from there, you can resize the video to whatever size you want, and it will remember it for that video next time. I haven't found a way to do something like "always play back 16:9 aspect movies at this size", but perhaps it could be scripted that way.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-15-2012, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Yes, when a video is playing, you can bring up a menu, and select "Video Calibration" - from there, you can resize the video to whatever size you want, and it will remember it for that video next time. I haven't found a way to do something like "always play back 16:9 aspect movies at this size", but perhaps it could be scripted that way.

Great - I'll give it a shot. thanks!
post #7 of 7 Old 03-29-2012, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Anyone using Media Player Classic? I only have a handful of films ripped as MKV, but this program allows me to custom scale these films as well as any HD video I shoot on my HD video camera. Quick and easy to use.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page