11.x sound for CIH theaters discussion - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 97 Old 09-30-2013, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
At CEDIA Onkyo rep says replacement for 5509 will happen next year. I noticed DTS changed from front wides to rear height channels at Jan. CES. No explanation about how a processor handles this change. Storm Audio 16 channel AURO 3D processor looks to be a great processor. Price is $13,000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 97 Old 10-02-2013, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 80
My 5509 sounds great, but it's hard to decide which 9 channels to use...heights or rear surrounds?
post #93 of 97 Old 10-04-2013, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post

My 5509 sounds great, but it's hard to decide which 9 channels to use...heights or rear surrounds?

I do both and a lot more with out the need of a 9.1 or 11.1 receiver;

Here is a very old thread on the subject;

http://www.avsforum.com/t/982996/11-1-1-4-surround-sound-experimenting-in-enhancing-expanding-5-1-7-1-formats

My current configuration is 21.2 it consists of a 7.2 core with front and rear side axis, front, mid and rear overhead speakers and front and rear presence speakers, unfortunately the way the room is I had to do without the rear center for now or it would be 22.2. biggrin.gif
post #94 of 97 Old 10-05-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Do you do a matrix mix and time align, or just split the outputs?
post #95 of 97 Old 10-06-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post

Do you do a matrix mix and time align, or just split the outputs?

What I do to derive the front left side axis output for example would be run the front left and side surround left analog outs on my receiver to the front left and right input on a CS jr then use the center out on the CS jr for the side axis output.

This will display sound as it moves from the front left to the side surround left and vice versa. When I initially tested this I used a helicopter surround audio test that was built in to my old audio card where a helicopter sound goes from speaker to speaker. Set up like this the sound displays perfectly on the left side axis as it leaves the front left and before it gets to the side left for example.
post #96 of 97 Old 10-07-2013, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

A ideas you may want to try (sorry, if you didn't want suggestions):

If you are having trouble with voice intelligibility, try removing the center channel from the mix on all other speakers. This will prevent comb filtering, which is more problematic for voice than with environmental stuff. This will anchor the center channel to the screen, rather than making it a seamless part of your 360 degree sound, but that's usually a good thing. Of course, you can do everything in-between by simply reducing the level of the center channel on other speakers.

If you have the ability to time align each speaker (after the matrix mix, not before), here are a few strategies:
1) If you are primarily concerned with the main listening position, time align each speaker for that. I suspect this is the case, based on your diagram.
2) If you have a large room and multiple rows of seating that you care about, try time aligning to the back of the room and putting lots of acoustical treatment on the back wall. This creates a time aligned wavefront that moves from the front to the back of the room. This is more of an outdoor stadium style approach.
3) Large theaters use a similar approach to #2, but rather than focusing on the angle, they create multiple sets of side speakers with controlled dispersion, so each row of seats hears the side coming from their side.

FYI, there are a lot of commercially-oriented DSP devices available that provide a lot of control for tuning mixes, delay, and EQ for a large number of incoming and outgoing channels. Any large venue that cares about sound needs stuff like that. Just search for "matrix mixer."
post #97 of 97 Old 05-02-2014, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Hey guys, make sure you vote in the new poll Scott W put up, "What Is Your Main Speaker Configuration?"
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529969/what-is-your-main-speaker-configuration

I see very few greater than 7.1 there....let's show them how many we truly are!
SanchoPanza likes this.
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page