post #31 of 38 Old 03-07-2012, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

I do have NVidia. How do I do this?

Sure, this is also very useful to use for a HTPC also.

If you have the Nvidia control panel on your desktop (usually accessible when you right click or in the control panel), at display select change resolutions and then click on add resolution, this will let you create a resolution output (say 1920x817).

Also you should select adjust desktop size and position and on performance scaling select GPU scaling so it use the normal resolution of your display, especially important with zoom setting and even the shrink method (using display scaling will fill the screen output, which maybe useful with A-lens set ups without built in V-stretch scalers, make sure the projector can accept the new resolution first, otherwise still use GPU scaling and full screen mode).

I would try it out first using your computer monitor before hooking it up to the projector, especially if you don't use your PC for home theater. I'm saying this because I'd hate if you become frustrated with it, although resolutions not recognized will always restart after 30-60 seconds. Your settings should be the same with HDMI or DVI (take account to cable lengths however).

If your computer does not have an Nvidia control panel or only can use a VGA output, there is Powerstrip (which IMO is trial and error but almost as functional), although I don't believe it has GPU scaling for digital outputs.

I have a few pics done with games I played below.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7...4/screenshots/

Hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 03-07-2012, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Thanks for that. I'll give it a go and report back.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #33 of 38 Old 03-08-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

I can understand how people can fall in love with the esthetics of a scope screen but coming from having a 120" 16:9 screen I don't see how one deals with the loss of screen real estate. Presently my screen is 105" wide and 59" high or 43 square feet. I have looked at 2:35:1 scope screens 106" wide and 45" high (115") and the size drops down to 33 square feet. If I switch to a 115" scope screen I lose 10 square feet of screen, plus if I were to watch 16:9 films on this setup the picture size would be correspondingly smaller with black borders on either side. I have drawn a string across my current screen to simulate a scope screen but the size change is something I can't get past. To achieve the same 59" screen height I would have to go to a 151" scope screen that is much larger than my room will allow for. I guess that's why they invented masking systems but that's something else I haven't bothered to get involved with either.

Screen size is irrelevant without viewing distance consideration.

If you went for the widest scope image you can get, and it means you're screen height is less tall than your current 16:9, just move the seating closer until the screen height to seating distance ratio is the same again. That way the 16:9 image still retains the same horizontal viewing angle as before (looks just as big as it did before), and now scope is the same height, only wider.

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #34 of 38 Old 03-11-2012, 03:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor2010 View Post

Sure, this is also very useful to use for a HTPC also.

If you have the Nvidia control panel on your desktop (usually accessible when you right click or in the control panel), at display select change resolutions and then click on add resolution, this will let you create a resolution output (say 1920x817).

Also you should select adjust desktop size and position and on performance scaling select GPU scaling so it use the normal resolution of your display, especially important with zoom setting and even the shrink method (using display scaling will fill the screen output, which maybe useful with A-lens set ups without built in V-stretch scalers, make sure the projector can accept the new resolution first, otherwise still use GPU scaling and full screen mode).

I would try it out first using your computer monitor before hooking it up to the projector, especially if you don't use your PC for home theater. I'm saying this because I'd hate if you become frustrated with it, although resolutions not recognized will always restart after 30-60 seconds. Your settings should be the same with HDMI or DVI (take account to cable lengths however).

If your computer does not have an Nvidia control panel or only can use a VGA output, there is Powerstrip (which IMO is trial and error but almost as functional), although I don't believe it has GPU scaling for digital outputs.

I have a few pics done with games I played below.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7...4/screenshots/

Hope this helps!

It seems to vertically stretch everything which is fine as the A-lens optically restores the geometry. Is that what it is supposed to do though? I thought it was supposed to create a wider version of itself without the use of an A-Lens.

Mark Techer

post #35 of 38 Old 03-11-2012, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

It seems to vertically stretch everything which is fine as the A-lens optically restores the geometry. Is that what it is supposed to do though? I thought it was supposed to create a wider version of itself without the use of an A-Lens.

I dont use nvidia in my htpc, but usually you have the option of fitting desktop to output resolution or mantain aspect ratio.

Good movies are as rare as an on topic discussion.
post #36 of 38 Old 03-11-2012, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

That should be if you intend on using an A-lens.

I think there is a mode that is in a form of an overscan compensation feature (please read the posts by darklordjames for more info) I forgot to mention that should work for the zoom method and shrink method.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post21123024

If that doesn't work, check to see if your projector offers a "native" (pixel by pixel) aspect ratio mode (if it sends the signal as (1920x810), this should allow you to view the sent image, you should use full screen for the A-lens mode. I think my entry level infocus x10 offered a native pixel mode when I send in a 1920x810 signal with my friend's PC with an NVidia card.

Edit: I should also add that video content (youtube, some games) will be altered to fit the video screen output, so for 2.35:1 video, it should fit to the new aspect ratio as full screen.

Example A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpA6TC0T_Lw

Example B (You should mute this)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4lm-L4oIh4

If you want to play video games, for example can be altered based on the output, so if you send in a custom resolution, it will be output said resolution, so 2.35:1 gaming should be guaranteed.

Example: Team Fortress 2 (Free to play with free steam account)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/440/
post #37 of 38 Old 03-11-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

I dont use nvidia in my htpc, but usually you have the option of fitting desktop to output resolution or mantain aspect ratio.

Maybe I did something wrong. I'll have another go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor2010 View Post

That should be if you intend on using an A-lens.

I think there is a mode that is in a form of an overscan compensation feature (please read the posts by darklordjames for more info) I forgot to mention that should work for the zoom method and shrink method.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post21123024

If that doesn't work, check to see if your projector offers a "native" (pixel by pixel) aspect ratio mode (if it sends the signal as (1920x810), this should allow you to view the sent image, you should use full screen for the A-lens mode. I think my entry level infocus x10 offered a native pixel mode when I send in a 1920x810 signal with my friend's PC with an NVidia card.

From what I could get from what I saw, the PC display just wanted to fill the screen. Not that different from selecting a lower rez where the text looks blocky as it re-maps to fill the screen. Because of the H and V ratio, the image appeared tall and thin, which we can agree on will be perfect for A-Lens. I also test this in the cinema and see what it looks like on the projection system.

Mark Techer

post #38 of 38 Old 03-12-2012, 02:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

I can understand how people can fall in love with the esthetics of a scope screen but coming from having a 120" 16:9 screen I don't see how one deals with the loss of screen real estate. Presently my screen is 105" wide and 59" high or 43 square feet. I have looked at 2:35:1 scope screens 106" wide and 45" high (115") and the size drops down to 33 square feet. If I switch to a 115" scope screen I lose 10 square feet of screen, plus if I were to watch 16:9 films on this setup the picture size would be correspondingly smaller with black borders on either side. I have drawn a string across my current screen to simulate a scope screen but the size change is something I can't get past. To achieve the same 59" screen height I would have to go to a 151" scope screen that is much larger than my room will allow for. I guess that's why they invented masking systems but that's something else I haven't bothered to get involved with either.

Or bigger, wider rooms. My room previous was width limited. My current room is height limited.
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page