235 picture discussion thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-12-2012, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Rather than pollute the "official 2.35:1 picture thread with random posts, please discuss the rooms here by selecting the link and posting it here.

I like this one just posted by RappalloAV. It looks like a commercial cinema. very cool.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I wonder what projector this person is using....looks like LCOS to me....

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

Old 03-12-2012, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

I wonder what projector this person is using....looks like LCOS to me....

Yes he is.
JVC RS65
Schneider Anamorphic M lens
CineSlide

Mark Techer

Old 03-13-2012, 09:24 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Side panels are sweet Murray. I'd love to see the details on them. Turned out very nice.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 56
A few have asked for some more info on the new cinema, if I have added too many pix please let me know as I have never added them this way before.

My CinemascopE home cinema was built as an extension to the rear of an 1865 Victorian Villa in Devonport, Auckland, New Zealand. I named it the “State” in remembrance to the art deco State theatre which once proudly stood at the entrance to the Village of Devonport . The cinema was built at the rear of the house and connected to the house by a breezeway. The construction is timber frame with exterior weather boards. Double sound GIB Board walls and ceiling are held away from the timber frame with resilient channel. Green Glue was used between the two layers of GIB on the walls and ceiling and everything is insulated with sound bats. Concrete floor construction overlaid with a floating timber floor. The raised stepped seating also floats over the timber floor and none of the timbers are anyway attached to the concrete slab.

The breezeway leads into a small foyer with French doors out to the garden. The foyer houses all the equipment behind cupboards and the projector is installed in one large one above the equipment. The projector noise is isolated from the cinema from this vented cupboard and projects through a port glass.
The style of my cinema is modern, this I modeled from the 1958 Odeon Cinema Auckland City where I was once a projectionist. The size of the room (6M long x 4M wide) lends itself to a minimal “modern design” without too much decoration, it’s timeless and helps create a space which looks much larger than what it really is. The colours I used are dark burgundy walls and midnight blue/black ceilings. Carpets are dark chocolate brown and the wall panels are avocado green. There are four wall panels on each side wall and these are made of MDF with warm white LED tucked in behind each panel. The main curtain is crushed Velvet almond colour, which is lit by RGB LED top and bottom. As the curtain opens it disappears at right angles into the side walls, complicated yes but it does work, plus it allows for a larger ScopE screen. The curtain lighting can be set to automatically change a multitude of colours, slowly dissolving from one to the other over a period of 1.5 mins. With this setup I can do all sorts of “old fashioned” real cinema like presentations, overture, and entr’actes, colour changes and re-create the drama before the main feature. The masking is set with three auto stops, 4:3, 16:9 and 2:37 ScopE and when that is activated the anamorphic lens, sledge and stretch all happen simultaneously. Everything is operated from the ipad at the comfort of my own seat in the back row. This seamless presentation makes the magic of cinema really come alive!

All speakers (Klipsch THX ) are concealed in the ceiling and walls as I didn’t want boxes showing to detract from the clean lines. Two Velodyne subs and two Clarke Synthesis (under two rows of seats) make up the 9.4 sound. There are three rows of stepped seating each containing four seats making a total of twelve high back tip-up seats. The screen is 140” AT scope screen with the three fronts in behind. Above the screen on the ceiling are two high speakers which really add a big sound stage, all this is powered by the Integra DCH 80.2 & DTA 70.1.
The cinema took almost twelve months to build and most certainly was a real labor of love.

Its a very long list sorry.....
I was once a zoomer and never to return, after one uses a good anamorphic there is no turning back!
Old 03-13-2012, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No such thing as too many pictures. So those panels are MDF and a some pine to add the angle?

Mark Techer

Old 03-14-2012, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

No such thing as too many pictures. So those panels are MDF and a some pine to add the angle?

The wall panels are made of MDF and the angle is created with a 1" packer, this is where the LEDs are hidden.

Ive added a couple of more pix I forgot to show before. There is one pix of the entrance to the cinema foyer from the dinning room through the breezeway which is connected to the main house.

Also an early mock up drawing we made in the early planning stages, very little in the end was ever changed from the final designs.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just an inch? WOW. I was going to do something similar using 1.5" but was not sure how it would look. Since seeing yours, I wish I had followed the original idea through now.

Did you fully treat the baffle wall? It is bit hard to tell in that photo but glad you showed the speakers in before the screen.

Mark Techer

Old 03-14-2012, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Murray,

All I have to say is WOW! You room is awesome. A labor of love, I'm sure.

Thanks for sharing. Maybe someday I will take on a project like this.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by siskiyous View Post

Murray,

All I have to say is WOW! You room is awesome. A labor of love, I'm sure.

Thanks for sharing. Maybe someday I will take on a project like this.

Agree, every filmlover should have a room like this. To bad I dont even have a house.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is your 9.4 setup using Front Heights and Front Wides without rears? If so, how do you like it? Do you feel you're missing anything from the rears or do the sides cover it just fine? Wondering, because I'm debating on going Front Wide and Front Height and losing the rears, but don't know how it will sound. Nice theater btw!

-Sean

Edit: Disregard, I just read in the 11.x thread that you are only running heights. I was just running heights in my 7.1 setup in my apartment and I loved the expansion that they brought.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just an inch? WOW. I was going to do something similar using 1.5" but was not sure how it would look. Since seeing yours, I wish I had followed the original idea through now.

Did you fully treat the baffle wall? It is bit hard to tell in that photo but glad you showed the speakers in before the screen.

If you are using strip LED a 1" gap is enough to house them. If you go too wide the light will fall on the front wall. I only like to use warm white lighting in the auditorium, as white is too harsh.

The front baffle wall is constructed the same as the rest. Double sound GIB on resilient channel, green glue between each layer and cavity stuffed with sound bats.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230-SEAN View Post

Is your 9.4 setup using Front Heights and Front Wides without rears? If so, how do you like it? Do you feel you're missing anything from the rears or do the sides cover it just fine? Wondering, because I'm debating on going Front Wide and Front Height and losing the rears, but don't know how it will sound. Nice theater btw!

-Sean

Edit: Disregard, I just read in the 11.x thread that you are only running heights. I was just running heights in my 7.1 setup in my apartment and I loved the expansion that they brought.

I only wish I had made the room to house front WIDES in conjunction with the HIGHS I did place. As they say the WIDES are more important than the HIGHS if you have to choose. I would have been happy to loose my REAR channel just to get the WIDES but its all too late now.

Anyway at least having the HIGHS it does make the sound stage BIG, it is awesome!
Old 03-15-2012, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post

If you are using strip LED a 1" gap is enough to house them. If you go too wide the light will fall on the front wall. I only like to use warm white lighting in the auditorium, as white is too harsh.

I like the diffused look of the lights. Very cool.

Quote:

The front baffle wall is constructed the same as the rest. Double sound GIB on resilient channel, green glue between each layer and cavity stuffed with sound bats.

Did you treat the actual surface? I used 1" convoluted foam on my own and I've built another and used black carpet. Whilst foam is recommended, the carpet worked as well.

Mark Techer

Old 03-15-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did you treat the actual surface? I used 1" convoluted foam on my own and I've built another and used black carpet. Whilst foam is recommended, the carpet worked as well.

No I didnt Mark. Do you mean the wall just behind the screen?

All the walls around the screen frame are covered with black velvet stretched over 3/4" timber frames.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No I didnt Mark. Do you mean the wall just behind the screen?

Here is my own baffle wall showing the LCRs and foam. Technically it is not a true baffle wall because it is just the size of the screen and this is then housed on a custom made stand. Before I was able to build my cinema, I had made everything free standing. I called this unit my AT screen rig and it not only serves the purpose of the housing the speakers but also provides the curve of the AT screen.

And a close up of the one of the LCRs. The LCRs load in from the rear (when the screen is in place) and sit on small shelves. The speakers themselves are not 'cubbyholes' rather their backs are open. I was not sure about this, but was quite relieved that I had done the right thing when I did Procella Audio's THX Baffle Wall course at CEDIA 2010. I built my AT Screen rig back in 2006.

The idea of treating the wall dates back to 1982(?) during the 12 months Tom Holman was hired and contracted by George Lucas to make Skywalker Sound what it is today.

Speakers with horns Vs dome tweeters probably do behave differently, as does the reflectivity of the AT fabric we use in the home Vs the larger perf fabrics used in the cinema. In the end of the day, my decision to treat the wall came from a combination of what I had read about what was done at Skywalker Sound, seeing what real cinemas do (the good ones do anyway) and listening test with my own system. I heard and preferred the sound of the treated baffle Vs a raw (painted) MDF baffle.

Because my baffle wall is mounted in a stand, I also treated the entire wall and part of the side walls around the back of the AT screen rig.
LL
LL

Mark Techer

Old 03-15-2012, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Ive never heard of this type of baffle using foam or carpet, where is there written reference to it for HT use?

Even the cinemas I have seen that have a full baffle wall behind the screen only ever did it with timber.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ive never heard of this type of baffle using foam or carpet, where is there written reference to it for HT use?

Back in 1995, I was handed notes by a guy who was on his way to do the 4 day THX training back when it used to be held at Skywalker Ranch. The documentation included specs for building dedicated rooms and even though THX originally said that they would not certify individual rooms, they did later release a program to cover HT. I am sure if I searched my archives, I still have all the notes I photocopied.

Quote:

Even the cinemas I have seen that have a full baffle wall behind the screen only ever did it with timber.

From the THX website

It is said that this treatment on the baffle wall is the one key point that separates a THX certified cinema from the rest.

The first cinema I ever got to see behind the screen of was Australia's 2nd screen to have SDDS 8 installed. This was a privately owned cinema with 4 screens and all 3 digital sound formats (DD DTS SDDS). I got to see them retrofitting 2 of their 4 screens and their upgrade to SDDS 8CH in their "Palace Cinema" meant the installation of two more Screen channel speakers (SDDS 8CH has 5 screen channels). They had used compressed foam matting (like those used in gymnastics) over the entire surface of the wall. It was then painted black to prevent light reflections and even though they had no intention of becoming THX certifed due to the cost, they did tell me that they were building their main cinema to meet the THX requirements which meant the treatment on the baffle was required.
It depends on the cinema or the company that owns the chain if this is done or not.

In Brisbane we have cinemas built that are exceptional and others no so great. One example of where there is no treatment on their wall is Cinema 3 of the Hyperdome. The cinema is one of the largest in Brisbane, yet occasionally I have heard echoes during the presentation and I would say it because they didn't treat this wall.

When I did the carpet thing, it was a case of staying within budget and the carpet was cheaper. I didn't expect it to work as well as it did, but ran with the idea that carpet on this wall would have to sound better than no treatment at all.
LL

Mark Techer

Old 03-15-2012, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

So Mark what would one notice with the sound, with and without?

Even though I don't have this the room has no echo at all, its quite dead!
Old 03-15-2012, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So Mark what would one notice with the sound, with and without?

I can only because I have heard both cases and done a few of these walls now.

Not sure how easy your screen is to remove, but if you can do this without too much hassle, I would, then whilst playing a familiar program and add some treatments. It is the increase in image detail that noticed the most when I did my own.

Quote:

Even though I don't have this the room has no echo at all, its quite dead!

As is my own. If you clap your hands in front of my screen you don't hear the associated reverb we are used to hearing and it actually sounds odd. The benefit to this is that the ONLY reverb I hear from my LCRs is what is mixed into the soundtrack.

Mark Techer

Old 03-15-2012, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

As an X projectionist I always knew the improvement one can get buy using an infinite baffle, thats why I built my cinema that way. The only thing I never knew about was covering it with a sound absorbing material.

It would be easy for me to remove my screen and do so, it could be a good project. My sound already is incredible but I'm always on the lookout for any further improvements.

Can you buy black foam on the roll?
Old 03-16-2012, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As an X projectionist I always knew the improvement one can get buy using an infinite baffle, thats why I built my cinema that way. The only thing I never knew about was covering it with a sound absorbing material.

As I mentioned, I don't think that cinema at the Hyperdome has a treated wall or I would not be hearing that reverb I am. And these cinemas were only retro fitted in the last 5(?) years. You'd think the company that does these would know better given the sound quality of the cinemas at the top of the Meyer centre (possibly still the best in Brisbane).

Quote:

It would be easy for me to remove my screen and do so, it could be a good project. My sound already is incredible but I'm always on the lookout for any further improvements.

So long as I am not hearing cursing of my name from the land of the long white cloud, I hope you do this and get some further improvement

Quote:

Can you buy black foam on the roll?

I bought my foam cut to size from a contact who could buy directly off Dunlop Foam which is one of the main Manufacturers here is Oz. Places like Clark Rubber sell the dark grey convoluted dark grey (like I used) in Queen bed sized pieces, but they are not cheap and only sell one side at a time.

The interesting thing about convoluted foam is that it is the only foam product that comes out thinker than when it went in. A slab gets sliced into two and each half is a direct opposite, so you end up with a nested pair some 30% thicker than the original piece. The machine that cuts the foam is weird but neat to watch in action. So as it gets cut, the peaks of the foam are actually compressed by the machine at the time it gets cut and why it becomes the shape it is.

The spec should be 29/400, but check this with your supplier.

Mark Techer

Old 08-01-2012, 01:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Mark, Ive tried to buy this black thin convoluted foam in NZ but looks like thats an impossibility. Will black carpet do the trick or black felt?
Old 08-01-2012, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Whilst foam is best, I've used black car carpet on a baffle wall as it does seem to absorb HFs quite well. The trick is not to glue it down, rather attach it so the carpet sits on the wall. I am using it in my own room for the first 1/3rd of the walls. I just stapled mine. This way it provides a 2nd surface to absorb, so any sounds that made it through the first time, reflect off the wall and are then absorbed by the back side of the carpet.

Mark Techer

Old 08-01-2012, 01:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

Whilst foam is best, I've used black car carpet on a baffle wall as it does seem to absorb HFs quite well. The trick is not to glue it down, rather attach it so the carpet sits on the wall. I am using it in my own room for the first 1/3rd of the walls. I just stapled mine. This way it provides a 2nd surface to absorb, so any sounds that made it through the first time, reflect off the wall and are then absorbed by the back side of the carpet.

Ok good to know not to glue it. Do you think 10mm black foam underlay would be better than the black carpet? I could get the underlay easy....