Lumagen HDP or DVDO Edge? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 03-24-2012, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I need help deciding if the DVDO Edge is worth it for me, over the Lumagen HDP.

I have a fixed mounted projector (Marantz VP4001) without any add-on lenses. I cannot afford to purchase a lens right now.

I also have a 2.40 screen and my source is a Win7 HTPC with internal Blu-Ray and internal HD DVR.

I will be buying a Lumagen HDP to use.

The projector will be set up so that when a 2.35 movie is played, then the image will fill the entire screen area.
I'll then the the video processor to shrink 16:9 TV to fit the height of the 2.35 screen (leaving bars on left & right).

I only watch HD TV shows and Blu-Ray movies. Nothing else. Which would meet my needs more, the Lumagen HDP or DVDO Edge?
I'm leaning towards the HDP. I can get an Edge from a friend for $150 and the HDP is $100.

"The boom is dead, long live the bass"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-24-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 355
The DVDO Edge only has extremely rudimentary aspect ratio controls. Although I believe it will perform a vertical stretch for watching scope content with an anamorphic lens, it will not pillarbox 16:9 content into the middle of a scope screen, regardless of whether you use a lens or not.

Ironically, older discontinued DVDO products such as the VP50 had a much better range of features. DVDO stripped those out of newer products in order to cut costs. The Edge and Duo are basically useless for CIH viewers, IMO.

The Lumagen HDP is an older model that I'm not terribly familiar with. What I can say is that the newer Lumagen processors such as the Radiance 3D Mini have full aspect ratio control.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Curator,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #3 of 15 Old 03-24-2012, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yep, the Edge can't properly do the shrink method like the older models.

The Lumagen HDP has very good scaling and can do the shrink method a couple of different ways. Only downside is it uses DVI.

Have you tried shrinking 16:9 with your HTPC?
post #4 of 15 Old 03-24-2012, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks, guys!
HDP it is.
It'll be my fourth HDP. hahah. I keep buying them, using them, changing plans & selling them. And then coming right back to them again.

I don't want to use my HTPC for shrinking. I did research it and didn't find any "good" options. But don't want to deal with it anyways. I prefer the HDP's shrinking & greyscale capabilities.

"The boom is dead, long live the bass"
post #5 of 15 Old 03-25-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Doesn't DVI handle HDMI video signals? For the projector, the audio capability of HDMI (that DVI lacks) is not needed.

Remember when lines and logos burned the TV screen? I was at a concert where a musical selection made extremely heavy use of about four of the keys of the piano.
post #6 of 15 Old 03-25-2012, 10:50 AM

Sure, but I've heard of compatibility issues going through some receivers. And of course it doesn't work with 3D.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-25-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

The DVDO Edge only has extremely rudimentary aspect ratio controls. Although I believe it will perform a vertical stretch for watching scope content with an anamorphic lens, it will not pillarbox 16:9 content into the middle of a scope screen, regardless of whether you use a lens or not.

You can do both VS and HS by selecting either Letterbox (VS) or 4x3 (HS).

Quote:

Ironically, older discontinued DVDO products such as the VP50 had a much better range of features. DVDO stripped those out of newer products in order to cut costs. The Edge and Duo are basically useless for CIH viewers, IMO.

They serve for cases when the projector can not scale for CIH but are as limited to what projector that do scale offer - just 2 modes.

Quote:

The Lumagen HDP is an older model that I'm not terribly familiar with. What I can say is that the newer Lumagen processors such as the Radiance 3D Mini have full aspect ratio control.

Awesome units and fully 3D capable. These can do custom scaling in both directions at the same time, so it possible to do 2.20 at true CIH. You can also reposition the image so if you needed to shift it up or down as well as scale.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #8 of 15 Old 03-25-2012, 10:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Funny My Edge did just fine with shink aspects with lens in place all the time could do 16/9 on the screen. Yes true it would not do custom but he has a PC for that. I have had both and the DVDo is far easier to use than the Lumagen. and you will spend a ton on DVI to HDMI adapters or cables.

10,000 Watts, custom built speakers, 10' CIH screen = Holy Crap
post #9 of 15 Old 03-25-2012, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty N8 View Post

Funny My Edge did just fine with shink aspects with lens in place all the time could do 16/9 on the screen. Yes true it would not do custom but he has a PC for that. I have had both and the DVDo is far easier to use than the Lumagen. and you will spend a ton on DVI to HDMI adapters or cables.

What I was referring to was that you could custom the vertical stretch, but there was no option for customizable horizontal squeeze to correct the geometry - eg a 2.20:1 does not need the full 33.3%. It requires about 25% and therefore it needs some horizontal squeeze or the image will appaer over stretched. DVDo never saw the reason to implement this in the EDGE for some reason.

Mark Techer

post #10 of 15 Old 03-26-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

You can do both VS and HS by selecting either Letterbox (VS) or 4x3 (HS).

Fair enough. I forgot about using the 4:3 mode to pillarbox.

Still, these will only work if you have an anamorphic lens, which the o/p doesn't.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #11 of 15 Old 03-26-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Fair enough. I forgot about using the 4:3 mode to pillarbox.

Still, these will only work if you have an anamorphic lens, which the o/p doesn't.

Correct. They are a means to an end if your projector does not scale at all. 2 modes and nothing much more than a switching hub.

Mark Techer

post #12 of 15 Old 03-31-2012, 06:55 AM
wnl

I am in the final stages of setting up an HDQ to do exactly what you describe for my 2.35:1 screen. It works great. The HDP has the same feature set so I'm confident it will do what you need. I found the HDQ to be a bit "fiddly", requiring a lengthy setup process to get overscan and sizing correct, and of course video calibration is necessary too.

There are some limitations with the HDP and HDQ which you may already be aware of. Although they can output 1080p60 they cannot handle 1080p60 on input. You have to resort to 1080i60 or something with less resolution. The inputs and output are DVI and not HDMI, so the unit does not handle audio and you will need either adapters or DVI/HDMI cables.

To shrink the image I am using "shrink" on the output. This allows you to set left, right, top, and bottom independently but does not offer any sort of "linked" or coupled method of setting them. That means you have to manually ensure that you have the aspect ratio correct and aren't stretching the image in either direction. I put up a test pattern with a circle when adjusting the shrink so that I could measure the width and height of the circle to ensure they matched. Perhaps there is an easier way to set shrink but I have not found it.

The hardest part of getting this to work was convincing my BD player (a Sony 7000ES 400-disc changer) to not do its own scaling. Fortunately the HDQ has the ability to explicitly set EDID on the inputs so I was able to lie to the Sony and get it to output 480p for DVDs and 1080p24 for Blu-rays. I saw just a bit of judder when watching a Blu-ray (once every 15 minutes or so) and I think I fixed that by turning on genlock.

Last night I played a movie that's 1.85:1 and realized that I had done too good of a job fitting the image to the screen. I'm going to have to find shrink numbers for 1.85:1 so that they fill the screen vertically. And 2.20:1 movies as well (of which I have two).

8-bit Bill

post #13 of 15 Old 03-31-2012, 07:00 AM
wnl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mark View Post

Yep, the Edge can't properly do the shrink method like the older models.

The Lumagen HDP has very good scaling and can do the shrink method a couple of different ways.

I'm using OUT -> MISC -> SHRINK. What's the other way?

I like that I can set the shrink explicitly via RS232 (it doesn't have to be predefined in memory) which means I can program my automation system to set it correctly for any number of aspect ratios.

8-bit Bill

post #14 of 15 Old 03-31-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnl View Post

I'm using OUT -> MISC -> SHRINK. What's the other way?

You can set it up just like a fixed anamorphic lens, using only one output configuration and user memory. The shrink command restores the correct geometry instead of a lens. Then you are able to use the AR buttons on the remote. Very easy to set up and user friendly. Only downside is there is scaling going on for 2.35 which may or may not be an issue on real content.
post #15 of 15 Old 04-02-2012, 09:16 AM
wnl

Just finished integrating my HDQ in to my home theater, and I am very happy with the results. I have shrink settings for 1.78:1 and 1.85:1. I still need to put together settings for 2.20:1 as I have a few movies in that format.

The setup is calibrated as best as I can do without a colorimeter, using the AVS disk (blu-ray) and DVE (DVD). With that I was able to get brightness, contrast, color, and hue all set. I think the picture is still a bit warm in some scenes, but without a colorimeter I don't think I can get it any better.

I am using one memory for DVD and another for Blu-Ray as the brightness and contrast are a bit different. I'm not using the memory settings for shrink (for the various aspect ratios) as my automation system just sets them directly via RS232. Cinemar knows the aspect ratio of each movie. So the macro that sets up the theater for the chosen movie also sets the shrink in the HDQ accordingly. I have added buttons to the Cinemar interface (accessed via my iTouch) for the three aspects so I can change between them manually when needed.

This setup is so much nicer than my projector's "zoom" method. I am very pleased with it, and my DVDs look a lot nicer running through a top quality scaler.

8-bit Bill

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page