2.35:1 setup with Epson 3010 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-08-2012, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello everyone. I am setting up a new theater room in my basement and have purchased the Epson 3010 projector. After reading this forum for a while, I would really like to set up my screen on the 2.35:1 aspect ratio.

There are a few items I want to clarify before I commit to it though:

1) My projector does not have a setting for 2.35:1 nor does it have lens memory. If I set up the projector with the zoom feature for 2.35:1 at a set height, should I then be able to watch 16:9 content on the same screen (with black borders at either side)? I am ok with this as long as I can do this without having to get a chair and adjust the zoom for every change of aspect ratio.

2) I read a few threads that referenced a program or software that can be loaded onto a home theater pc that would automatically adjust the aspect ratio for you. Would this work with my particular projector? I plan to put a PC in my a/v closet anyway so it wouldn't be a problem to add the software if it works.

3) I know that some movies are in 2.35:1 and some are in 2.40:1. Would it be a good idea to split the difference and make the screen length in between these?

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2012, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I think you may have a tough time with that projector, since it doesn't have any adjustments for lens shift left/right/up/down, just the zoom. You could possibly make it all work with an anamorphic lens, but those are pricey and you didn't mention that, so I'm guessing you're hoping not to deal with that. The HTPC option (along with something like XBMC), should be able to rescale your 16:9 content down into a smaller, lower-res window inside your 2.35:1 screen, but as I just stated, that means losing lines of resolution. That projector you've got is 3D-capable, and I'm guessing you care about that and probably don't want to lose resolution when watching a 3D movie. On that note, I think a lot of (all?) 3D movies seem to be in 16:9 ratio, so that may be something else to think about. In short, you may be better off sticking with a 16:9 screen.

FWIW, I tried out the Epson 3010 before settling on my Epson 8350. For me, the 3D was neat, but had some drawbacks, and I really wanted lens shift so as to make my life a lot easier when installing it. Plus I knew ahead of time that I might seriously want to go with a 2.35:1 screen (still hemming and hawing about it), so I returned the 3010 and got the 8350 instead.

Edit: Another downside is that you wouldn't be able to watch movies via a non-HTPC source unless the movie was in a 2.35:1 ratio, since your Blu-ray player won't be able to rescale a 16:9 movie into a smaller window on a 2.35:1 screen.

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the reply srauly. I guess what I will do is use the original planned screen width (110 inches) and make the 16:9 screen that width and then use some masking to cover the borders on 2.25:1 movies or just leave the borders for a while and see how much I hate it. Seems that I am kind of limited by the functionality of my projector unfortunately. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathu126 View Post

Thanks for the reply srauly. I guess what I will do is use the original planned screen width (110 inches) and make the 16:9 screen that width and then use some masking to cover the borders on 2.25:1 movies or just leave the borders for a while and see how much I hate it. Seems that I am kind of limited by the functionality of my projector unfortunately. Thanks for the advice.

Common don't give up so soon ! I too want to make my 3010 work with an a-lense if I can afford it. So the way I would do it is to find a bluray player which does the vertical stretch for me (oppo seems to be one) and chase down a cheap a-lense....not sure if such a thing exists as this is my first foray into this idea
Old 05-13-2012, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If you've already got the projector, haven't bought a screen yet, and are willing to experiment with an HTPC, then by all means try it out. If you're willing to rescale and lose resolution on 16:9 content you can make it work with an HTPC.

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by srauly View Post

If you've already got the projector, haven't bought a screen yet, and are willing to experiment with an HTPC, then by all means try it out. If you're willing to rescale and lose resolution on 16:9 content you can make it work with an HTPC.

Thanks. What is the cheapest a-lens out there ? I am seeing articles that talk about a $3.5k as cheapest one....if so, I am out of this hobby. Please tell me if there is a cheaper one,
Old 05-13-2012, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala View Post

Common don't give up so soon ! I too want to make my 3010 work with an a-lense if I can afford it. So the way I would do it is to find a bluray player which does the vertical stretch for me (oppo seems to be one) and chase down a cheap a-lense....not sure if such a thing exists as this is my first foray into this idea

The Oppo also has a mode that downscales 16:9 to fit the height of a scope screen. I believe it is called "1/2 zoom" and I've heard it works very well.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala View Post

Thanks. What is the cheapest a-lens out there ? I am seeing articles that talk about a $3.5k as cheapest one....if so, I am out of this hobby. Please tell me if there is a cheaper one,

There was a company called brothers Ht that produced an inexpensive lens. Here's a thread on them

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...light=brothers

Another option is the used or classifed section.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Feeler: I'm thinking of selling my JTR Triple 8HT's Let me know if you are interested?
For Sale: ACS PlanarTrap (freestanding acoustic panel) ($300/pair)[/B]:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html