After a while with a lens - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-12-2012, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had a Panamorph FV200 for about 8 months and here are my feelings. My Projector is an LG181d which is bright. I have 3 rows of seating. The screen is 139" wide Dalite Highpower. The projector is mounted in a bar 26' from the screen and slightly above the rear row. The back 2 rows are each on risers. The first thing I noticed when I installed the lens was the brightness increase. The image was bright before but I got a bigger boost than I expected. Some may say it is too bright but I love it. The only time it is an issue is when going from really dark to bright. It takes a second to adjust. My image has about 1/4 inch barrel distortion which is invisible when slightly zoomed on the border. I have the projector mounted in the bar with the lens. I cant get to it unless I remove a cover so I leave it in place and scale for 16x9, which looks great. The image is slightly softer with the lens but overall I like it better. The biggest improvement seems to be standard dvd. I don't know why but the lens helps dvd images greatly. I like having no light spillover also. If I didn't have a lens Iknowing what I know now i would be one again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-15-2012, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Welcome to the lens club. That was the first observation I noted as well. Getting rid of the vertical over spill is a definite advantage of the lens.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-16-2012, 02:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
The biggest advantage of a lens for me is that it allows you to use all of the display resolution, so with DVD, you may be finding that zooming enlarges the pixels by 33% and looks more blocky, whereas an A lens keeps all the vertical res so the pixel height remains smaller and the image more pleasing.

I first used a lens with a 720 res pj, and the increased resolution was what I found to be a big advantage as I was only watching DVD back then. Zooming worked OK but the image looked blocky and course compared to with the lens. My lenses were a horizontal stretch models - I started with a borrowed H200 lens which softened the image a lot and wasn't really doing anything positive with the image but I could see the potential, so then I bought an H1000 which I could return for a full refund if I didn't like it . That was a huge improvement over the H200 and zooming, so I kept it. I then bought an ISCO II from the avs classifieds just to see what it was like, and found that was a further improvement, so I kept the ISCO and sold the H1000. I later tried it with a JVC HD100 to see if it was up to being used with a 1080 pj and it was, so I still have it. Since then I can't see myself not using a scope screen or giving up the lens until something like native scope pjs come along.

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #4 of 6 Old 09-19-2012, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lightfoot View Post

The biggest advantage of a lens for me is that it allows you to use all of the display resolution, so with DVD, you may be finding that zooming enlarges the pixels by 33% and looks more blocky, whereas an A lens keeps all the vertical res so the pixel height remains smaller and the image more pleasing.
I first used a lens with a 720 res pj, and the increased resolution was what I found to be a big advantage as I was only watching DVD back then. Zooming worked OK but the image looked blocky and course compared to with the lens. My lenses were a horizontal stretch models - I started with a borrowed H200 lens which softened the image a lot and wasn't really doing anything positive with the image but I could see the potential, so then I bought an H1000 which I could return for a full refund if I didn't like it . That was a huge improvement over the H200 and zooming, so I kept it. I then bought an ISCO II from the avs classifieds just to see what it was like, and found that was a further improvement, so I kept the ISCO and sold the H1000. I later tried it with a JVC HD100 to see if it was up to being used with a 1080 pj and it was, so I still have it. Since then I can't see myself not using a scope screen or giving up the lens until something like native scope pjs come along.
Gary

Could you please post details on where to get this lense for how much ?

Also if my PJ (epson 3010) dos not support CIH-stretching what are my options ?
post #5 of 6 Old 09-20-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Look out for second user lenses that come up for sale in the classifieds here and on ebay. Prismasonic sell both prism and cylindrical lenses from new with a return policy: http://www.prismasonic.com/english/index.shtml

If your pj does not support the vertical stretch, you can either use an HTPC or an external scaler.

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-23-2012, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala View Post

Could you please post details on where to get this lense for how much ?
Also if my PJ (epson 3010) dos not support CIH-stretching what are my options ?

Try http://cgi.videogon.com/cgi-bin/fs.pl?projmisc

I got a reconditioned Panamorph UH-480.
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page