questions in relations to the parnmorph UH480 paired with the jvc rs2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-24-2012, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

Long-time stalker, first time poster. I'll be quick. I'm planning on pulling the trigger on a panamorph UH480 lens to be paired with my jvc rs2. My throw is 16.5 feet throwing a 83/84 inch 16:9 pic. zoom is non-existent. Clearly I do this to maximize contrast and to diminish pincushion if and when I get the lens. My questions to you wonderful folks:

1. I'm told the UH480 has a sweet spot between 12 and 17 feet. Is this true? Can this be done without the long-throw adapter, i.e. by default?

2. I'm also told that anamorphic lenes have a retro-reflective issue with jvc projectors. I'm guessing this relates mostly or rather entirely to the last generation or projectors (i.e. the rs10 up to the rs35). Can one of you confirm this? I doubt my rs2 will fall into this problematic issue seeing as the lens is not recessed.

3. And finally I plan on having the projector shelf mounted, so i'm wondering how difficult would it be to slide the UH480 in and out of the way when needed. I'm guessing maybe some markers in place will help.

Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-25-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Yes the UH480 does have a sweet spot and if you are between 12.5' and 17.5" you should be fine. Should not be a problem using the UH480 with the RS2. If you plan on moving the lens, you would be best served using a sled. Also Panamorph has announced a price increase for this lens effective July 1st.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-25-2012, 09:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiliksun View Post

2. I'm also told that anamorphic lenes have a retro-reflective issue with jvc projectors. I'm guessing this relates mostly or rather entirely to the last generation or projectors (i.e. the rs10 up to the rs35). Can one of you confirm this? I doubt my rs2 will fall into this problematic issue seeing as the lens is not recessed.

The only Panamorph lens that had the issue was the UH380 - the UH440 and UH480 were modified in several ways to eliminate the issue. When I tried my UH440 (identical to the UH480 except for one feature) with my FPJ1 (RS2 clone) I had no problems.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

post #4 of 8 Old 06-25-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiliksun View Post

1. I'm told the UH480 has a sweet spot between 12 and 17 feet. Is this true? Can this be done without the long-throw adapter, i.e. by default?
3. And finally I plan on having the projector shelf mounted, so i'm wondering how difficult would it be to slide the UH480 in and out of the way when needed. I'm guessing maybe some markers in place will help.
Thanks so much.

1. Correct, so with your throw you are right in the sweet spot.

2. Compensated for as of the UH480.

3. As long as the light beam passes through the lens cleanly, you are fine with the 480. In other words, you don't have to worry about passing through the center of the lens, etc. You just want to make sure you are able to tilt the lens in order to follow the light path to minimize pincushion.

Home Theater Industry Consultant

Check out my new movie!:
post #5 of 8 Old 06-25-2012, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much guys. Appreciate your time tremendously. I think I got a awesome deal on one, had my reservations but thought it was time I stopped zooming. Waiting for the fedex guy. biggrin.gif
post #6 of 8 Old 06-25-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Here is the very best way to spend the next 5 minutes of your time:

http://www.panamorph.com/8-support/videos

Watch the install video.

Home Theater Industry Consultant

Check out my new movie!:
post #7 of 8 Old 06-28-2012, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

So I received my UH480 and I must say, I completely understand why so many have a hard time describing it. I would opt for the adjective 'richer' but wow, that's pretty subjective isn't it? The difference is certainly significant for me.

A quick question. if I'm so lucky to get more answers from you guys again:

When I was 'zooming' I didn't technically zoom at all. Instead I moved the projector back as far as I could to achive the width for scope I needed (you can see why I eventually opted for a lens). I did this to maximize contrast, at the cost of brightness.

So my question is, with the newer jvcs ( i have a rs2) you can control the iris. Does this allow you to have a very short throw and still max contrast? I was under the impression the longer the throw the better on/off.

Thanks so much.

oh btw my home setup is basically a bat-cave with fabric walls. Yes contrast/black freak here.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-29-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 142
As far as I know, max contrast on any JVC is at long throw with the iris closed down as far as possible.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do,
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page