Curved screen configuration? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-29-2012, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Planning to get a 130" Cine-W curved screen from Stewart for use with a prismasonic 6000F a-lens and a JVC DLA-X30 pj.

For uninteresting reasons, I will need to purchase the screen before anything else.

My main problem is choosing a radius for the screen curvature. I've read that it depends on my throw ratio, which on the JVC is 1.4 to 2.8. My room allows me to use a throw between 1.4 and 2.0.

Anyone with recommendations on optimal setup? Where should I place the pj and what would be a good radius for a 130" curved screen?

Also wondering whether I should go with the ST130 fabric or choose the grayhawk to minimize curved screen cross reflection? My room is a bat-cave type.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-29-2012, 09:26 AM

Liked: 17
I have a Stewart Cine-W 133" Studiotek130 in a batcave for use with my Schneider 1.33x M lens. I'd stick with Studiotek material vs. grayhawk - I don't have any cross-reflection that I'm aware of; I also thought the grayhawk was for rooms with ambient light, but don't know for sure.

In terms of the curvature, I guess I couldn't tell you what I have - I bought my lens and screen from a local dealer and simply told them the PJ and throw so they sent whatever was recommended for it. I'd talk to Stewart (or via your dealer) and see what is recommended. My throw is ~14' 2"... I'll look around and see if the curvature is printed on the schematics.

Very happy with the screen, though!
post #3 of 5 Old 07-29-2012, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrinch View Post

I have a Stewart Cine-W 133" Studiotek130 in a batcave for use with my Schneider 1.33x M lens. I'd stick with Studiotek material vs. grayhawk - I don't have any cross-reflection that I'm aware of; I also thought the grayhawk was for rooms with ambient light, but don't know for sure.
In terms of the curvature, I guess I couldn't tell you what I have - I bought my lens and screen from a local dealer and simply told them the PJ and throw so they sent whatever was recommended for it. I'd talk to Stewart (or via your dealer) and see what is recommended. My throw is ~14' 2"... I'll look around and see if the curvature is printed on the schematics.
Very happy with the screen, though!

Thanks, would be nice to know your radius for reference. Probably they gave you something close to 40'.

The grayhawk is meant for rooms with ambient light, but since the sides of a curved screen "can see" each other, the stray light will reduce the contrast of the screen in the same way that ambient light does. The smaller the radius, the more the screen will tend to "self illuminate" and this effect is most pronounced with high native contrast projectors (ie JVC) and matte white surfaces, such as the st100.

Stewart seems to recommend the graymatte fabric for deeply curved screens but the grayhawk should be even better:
"GrayMatte 70 is a neutral density gray screen surface that dampens cross reflection in deeply curved or circular projection installations"

I'm not planning to use a deeply curved screen, but I'm very sensitive to reduced black levels.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-30-2012, 05:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 389
With a 130" wide screen, I would go with the ST130 and if you want to use a shallow curve, then I would go with a throw distance around 15'-6".

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-30-2012, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

I read that there's a spreasheet to help calculate screen radius:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1118055/diy-screen-curve-calculator-aussie-bob

Is there something like this I can use on the Internet?
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page