ISCO-ii suitable for RS-1? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-29-2012, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Throw will probably be about 2. Radiance-XD processor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-30-2012, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar View Post

Throw will probably be about 2. Radiance-XD processor.

Based on what I have read that should work just fine. The RS1 doesn't have the recessed lens of the newer JVC's so you don't have that problem to contend with. A throw of 2.0 should be plenty long enough to avoid the most obvious of bowing and pincushion but you may still have some.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-30-2012, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I tried an ISCO II in front of an HD100 and it was fine other than some pincushion (which is always present to some degree). I think the HD1 and 100 are very similar in construction IIRC so you'll be fine

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-30-2012, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks! though I`m a bit hesitant, since I`m not sure if it would be better to spend the money on a new projector? Not sure how the RS-1 compares to a eg. Sony VPL-HW30? I`m not yet interested in 3D, so I might skip a PJ generation or two..
post #5 of 9 Old 07-30-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks! though I`m a bit hesitant, since I`m not sure if it would be better to spend the money on a new projector? Not sure how the RS-1 compares to a eg. Sony VPL-HW30? I`m not yet interested in 3D, so I might skip a PJ generation or two..

That depends on what your ultimate goal is I suppose. If you don't already have a lens and want to do scope then I would buy the best lens you can afford and upgrade the projector later if you already have something to use. Projectors change so often that you can wait a few months and buy what was the latest and greatest at a discount, especially if you don't mind used. Lenses are not really changing much so I would put your money in the best lens you can find. Of course, I did pretty much the opposite but if I had it to over again I would take my own advice. I had an RS1 briefly and it was very nice, solid built projector and I probably would have kept it a while had I not found a great deal on an HD350 (RS10).
post #6 of 9 Old 07-30-2012, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I`ve been very happy with the RS-1, got it new 2007, and still only 600 hours on the original bulb!
As an previous CRTer I read your thread at http://www.avsforum.com/t/1325257/help-an-old-crt-user-with-transitioning-to-digital-and-cih/120 with interest.
I like to experiment and DIY, and it would be nice to try a CIH-setup w/lens and maybe a curved screen. I`m currently thinking AT or not. My seating distance from the front row will be only about 10' and I`m a bit worried about visible structure. The room is about 16x11'. I can increase the throw a bit by making a hole in the back wall for the projector. Currently it sits on a shelf on the back wall.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-13-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I`ve been very happy with the RS-1, got it new 2007, and still only 600 hours on the original bulb!
As an previous CRTer I read your thread at http://www.avsforum.com/t/1325257/help-an-old-crt-user-with-transitioning-to-digital-and-cih/120 with interest.
I like to experiment and DIY, and it would be nice to try a CIH-setup w/lens and maybe a curved screen. I`m currently thinking AT or not. My seating distance from the front row will be only about 10' and I`m a bit worried about visible structure. The room is about 16x11'. I can increase the throw a bit by making a hole in the back wall for the projector. Currently it sits on a shelf on the back wall.

That's actually about the size of my room. (16' x 12'). So your throw is about 16' minus the shelf depth the projecctor sits on now? What size screen would you plan on for CIH?
post #8 of 9 Old 08-13-2012, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

About 280cm is the widest I can go, since I need to leave some space at the sides for the side masking system. Also, there is some space behind the screen, but not in the full width of the room. So the separation between the L and R speakers is only about 185cm without building a false wall. But then my throw and seating distance will suffer. Grr..

Since my previous post I got a great deal (hopefully..) on a X30 (RS45) projector. Will pick it up wednesday. Possibly later also an ISCO-ii, but I`m not sure it will be compatible with the recessed lens of the X30? I did a quick search, and at least I found a German that use a ISCO-ii with a X30. Seems that he was ok, but my German isn`t that great..
post #9 of 9 Old 09-06-2012, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I got the ISCO-ii, and the X30. Have tried it briefly with the ISCO-ii, and it works just fine. Throw is about 2. Pincushion at the sides is about 1-1,5cm. Picture size was about 2,8m wide, 2,35:1.
I decided on a curved frame from square steel tubes with DIY-masking and a motorized DIY-lift for the lens. Will start a new thread when I have something to show..
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page