Yes and no wink.gif, I'd never want to use it for the practical reasons you state, but I can see someone on the forum wanting to try to duplicate it. eek.gif[
It was an unintended result of the original painter (the one who rolled the first 6 coats) getting fed up with the client, packing his tins and rollers and fleeing the scene (not even waiting for the $3-large the client owed him).
The spray painter was brought in to "finish" the job and, as far as I can ascertain, used too fine a nozzle, resulting in tiny globules of paint being almost dry before they hit the surface. As a result they stuck to the highest point on that surface, which was the previous
half-dry glob of paint. This is how the "whiskers" built up.
Let me assure you that no-one should ever want to go there. It was perfect, until you actually used the room. Like putting velour up on the walls that showed every finger touch.
Interestingly, there was a spot up the back of the room behind some curtains where the electricians looked like they'd had played "patty-cake, patty-cake, baker's man" with the wall. Grubby finger marks everywhere. I got some lens wipe cloths that I supply with my lenses to get the customers set up with proper cleaning tools, wet one with distilled water and simply wiped the mark away. No detergent, just water and a soft, light wiping motion.
Of course it left a terrible dark mark, and the installers freaked. But after 15 minutes it dried pretty-well perfect. You really had to look to see it, or the original oopsie.
Then, like one of those doctors who injects his own vaccine to prove it works, I deliberately
made a mark myself. There was nearly a riot (can you have a riot with only three people in the room? These guys gave it a shot anyway). There was no choice but to apply my patented clean-up technique. Again, it worked perfectly.
I reckoned we had a winning strategy, and advised them to use it to clean up any marks they made trying to install the Cineslide.
It was inevitable... trying to manually manipulate about 6 kilos of motors, mechanics and lens onto the correct spot, all the while holding all this weight above your head (yep, one of the installers was just under 7 feet tall) - and get it first time perfect
- was bound to end in tears.
("Why didn't they use a ladder?" I hear you ask... they were petrified at the thought of a greasy head of hair bumping up against the ceiling).
I think a knuckle hit the paint and left a streak just as the final screws were being driven in. Whose
knuckle it was remained a mystery. There had been a lot of straining hands involved at one time or another.
Let's just say one minute there was a perfect 9 coats of paint and the next... what with all the huffing and puffing, and cries of "I can't hold this bloody thing up here much longer!"... there was an interstate highway exactly one knuckle wide running across it for about 6 inches. The mark really stood out. It was a doozy, a finger mark fit for Ripley's Believe It Or Not.
I went to apply The Technique and they grabbed me, forcibly restraining me. "Shorty" (the 7 foot tall guy) stood physically between me and the projector and just wagged his finger at me from side to side, saying, "No." OK, so it was their installation, not mine, but I was only trying to help.
Sheesh... some people are sensitive...
They knew the lens wipe with the distilled water would work, as I had demonstrated it twice, but all their courage had been drained out of them. After four hours of laser measuring, discussion, work-shopping and brainstorming, that mark in the last 20 seconds of the install had left them emotionally drained, mere shells of their former selves.
I never found out whether they finally did fix it, or whether (the preferred explanation to the client when he came around on his daily scuff-mark audit of the installation) they blamed "the electricians", who were by now long gone from the site. It was about 6 inches away from a cable conduit, so it could
have been the sparkies, filthy devils.
One concrete result for me was that I went home and wrote some software to calculate the precise position of the screw holes, relative to the projector case, so that marking up the vital first hole in the owner's new roof was less a matter of chance and more a matter of science. I translate these into 3D AutoCad drawings, fully dimensioned, that I can email to the installer's iPhone. Half a dozen successful - scuff-mark free - installations later and I'm fairly confident that it all works in a practical sense.
Every cloud has a silver lining.P.S. Lens Cleaning Wipes
If anyone's interested in the wipes I use, here they are: http://onboardsolutions.com/clean-room/comsumables/wipes-3/bemcot-wipes/
Bemcot S-2 wipes.
These are single strand, residue-free cotton wipes suitable for clean-room use. Very soft, almost lint free (if used wet, which you must always do), and - surprisingly - about the same price as Kleenex (which you should NEVER EVER use to clean lenses with).
Roll them into a cigaratte shape, soak the end with solvent and wipe in a continuous spiral motion, starting at the centre and moving outwards. Then discard after one use (but you DO get 150 per pack, so that's not much of a problem).