projector screen vs plasma tv? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-08-2012, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey Guys,

I recently purchased a 65" Panasonic vt50 and then I discovered this amazing forum where I saw people's dedicated HT setups and was wondering if I should consider a projector screen instead. I am particularly interested in the cinemascope (2.35:1) format and was wondering if I can get a screen large enough for my living room which measures about 15 feet long and 13 feet wide.
My applications are mostly video gaming and watching blu-rays with some TV watching on netflix/amazon thrown in.

1. Should I stick with my current plasma tv?
2. How would video gaming be (ps3/xbox) on a 2.35:1 screen?
3. What's the max screen size I can get?

Thanks in advance for all your responses!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-11-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Funny you should ask. A few years back I was set on buying a 65" Panasonic plasma (I still love them) and switched at the last minute to projection.
Here's my old post on why I did that:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/802468/i-have-seen-the-projector-light-a-conversion-story

I couldn't be happier.

See the links below my name to see what I ended up with.

Cheers,
post #3 of 6 Old 09-13-2012, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 42
In a 15' deep room, the tallest image I would recommend is 4 feet. That gives almost 10 feet of width for Scope. How well a game works on a scope screen will depend on how the game was designed. I've seen a few and I think generally they look better, but they are not always practical as the scaling is removing the top and bottom portions. This could mean your score and other information you might actually need to play.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #4 of 6 Old 09-14-2012, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Funny you should ask. A few years back I was set on buying a 65" Panasonic plasma (I still love them) and switched at the last minute to projection.
Here's my old post on why I did that:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/802468/i-have-seen-the-projector-light-a-conversion-story
I couldn't be happier.
See the links below my name to see what I ended up with.
Cheers,

Wow! I just read through your journey and I must say - you have convinced me! Now I need to figure out a cheap way to pull this off. Maybe I don't need 3D but I still could do with a not so expensive projector with lens shift and lens memory
post #5 of 6 Old 09-14-2012, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

In a 15' deep room, the tallest image I would recommend is 4 feet. That gives almost 10 feet of width for Scope. How well a game works on a scope screen will depend on how the game was designed. I've seen a few and I think generally they look better, but they are not always practical as the scaling is removing the top and bottom portions. This could mean your score and other information you might actually need to play.

Hmm, Considering most games are 16:9 I guess I could use the TV for that, and use the projector only for scope movies
post #6 of 6 Old 09-23-2012, 06:39 PM

Liked: 12
Bought a Panasonic Plasma (GT???). Horrible compared to my Sony XBR4 that is 5+ years old. Bought a newer Sony and looks much better.

With front projection, you can use an AT screen and put the speakers behind the screen where they belong and provide the most accurate placement.
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page