New Panamorph Lens Coming Soon - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #151 of 167 Old 07-03-2013, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gary Lightfoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 4,779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 115
If as John says the Cinevista is astigmatism corrected, and the MKII isn't (and you can't get the corrector element any more - pm Mark/CAVX for info), then you should have a sharper image with the Cinevista, so an upgrade smile.gif

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
Gary Lightfoot is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 167 Old 07-03-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
John Schuermann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Thanks, Gary. Yes, the CineVista is astigmatism corrected for its recommended throw range (approximately 6 - 18 feet, with optimal sharpness between 8 - 14 feet).

John Schuermann, Filmmaker / Film Composer
Home Theater Industry Consultant
JS Music and Sound
Panamorph
Check out my new movie!: www.stephensonmovie.com
John Schuermann is offline  
post #153 of 167 Old 07-03-2013, 10:16 AM
Senior Member
 
snowkarver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 410
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Took out my new CineVista last night and fired up the 8350 for a rough test (aka balancing the lens on foam blocks and projecting on the unfinished screenwall). The picture looks huge - there's definitely a fun immersion factor with scope. smile.gif

No vignetting with the full zoom I need. At a 2.5x height throw ratio, the pincushion is pretty atrocious - no surprise there - although with video content and proper masking I can see how even this level of distortion effectively disappears in a real-world viewing context. There is noticeable CA fringing at the far edges (no electronic correction on the 8350), although the middle half is laudably sharp. Fine for movies and FPS games, not so much for web browsing and test patterns.

I'm glad I decided to go with a curved screen, which will hopefully go some way towards correcting the worst of the pincushion.

I don't think the CV will satisfy demanding users, but for what it is - an entry level product for folks like me just getting started with this level of imaging and either unable or unwilling to zoom, I think it's a very nice option to have.

Theater for Hobbits 1.0 - One of the smallest-ever (13' x 8' x 6'8") AVS builds!

Theater for Hobbits 2.0 - AVS HT of the Month - This time it's 2.35 CIH in a 10' x 10' alcove!

snowkarver is offline  
post #154 of 167 Old 07-03-2013, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
kgveteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 6,070
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Hmmm. I think i will be using the MKII at first.

Maybe CAVX will chime in....
kgveteran is offline  
post #155 of 167 Old 07-21-2013, 05:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Bardia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schuermann View Post

Thanks, Gary. Yes, the CineVista is astigmatism corrected for its recommended throw range (approximately 6 - 18 feet, with optimal sharpness between 8 - 14 feet).

What about the FVX200?
Bardia is offline  
post #156 of 167 Old 07-21-2013, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
John Schuermann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 107
All Panamorph lenses are astigmatism corrected.

Throw distance specs for all Panamorph lenses are here:

http://www.panamorph.com/8-support/lens-comparison

John Schuermann, Filmmaker / Film Composer
Home Theater Industry Consultant
JS Music and Sound
Panamorph
Check out my new movie!: www.stephensonmovie.com
John Schuermann is offline  
post #157 of 167 Old 07-23-2013, 06:08 AM
Senior Member
 
Keith AP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowkarver View Post

Took out my new CineVista last night and fired up the 8350 for a rough test (aka balancing the lens on foam blocks and projecting on the unfinished screenwall). The picture looks huge - there's definitely a fun immersion factor with scope. smile.gif

No vignetting with the full zoom I need. At a 2.5x height throw ratio, the pincushion is pretty atrocious - no surprise there - although with video content and proper masking I can see how even this level of distortion effectively disappears in a real-world viewing context. There is noticeable CA fringing at the far edges (no electronic correction on the 8350), although the middle half is laudably sharp. Fine for movies and FPS games, not so much for web browsing and test patterns.

I'm glad I decided to go with a curved screen, which will hopefully go some way towards correcting the worst of the pincushion.

I don't think the CV will satisfy demanding users, but for what it is - an entry level product for folks like me just getting started with this level of imaging and either unable or unwilling to zoom, I think it's a very nice option to have.

Any chance you could post an image or two illustrating the pincushion in your environment (and perhaps one showing real-world image)? I have similar setup parameters in my environment and am considering the Cinevista.
Keith AP is offline  
post #158 of 167 Old 07-23-2013, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
John Schuermann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Similar in terms of throw ratio? I ask because the amount of pin cushion is strictly related to throw ratio, and is pretty consistent from lens to lens (in other words, the CineVista has no more or less pincushion than any other anamorphic lens at the same throw ratio). Shorter throw ratio = more pincushion, longer throw ratio = less pincushion. Ideally you would be at at least 3x the screen height or further back.

Good luck!

John Schuermann, Filmmaker / Film Composer
Home Theater Industry Consultant
JS Music and Sound
Panamorph
Check out my new movie!: www.stephensonmovie.com
John Schuermann is offline  
post #159 of 167 Old 07-23-2013, 08:23 AM
Senior Member
 
snowkarver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 410
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith AP View Post

Any chance you could post an image or two illustrating the pincushion in your environment (and perhaps one showing real-world image)? I have similar setup parameters in my environment and am considering the Cinevista.

Sorry, I guess I should have taken a couple of quick snaps when I had it set up - but I was too busy watching stuff! Everything is boxed up as I am deep into construction. Probably won't have it all out again for at least a month.

I will say this though - John is spot on. I played around and anything under 3.0 on a flat surface I don't think most people would be happy with. I am not a very critical viewer - I'm in it for fun not technical perfection - and am very glad that I decided to spring for a curved screen.

Theater for Hobbits 1.0 - One of the smallest-ever (13' x 8' x 6'8") AVS builds!

Theater for Hobbits 2.0 - AVS HT of the Month - This time it's 2.35 CIH in a 10' x 10' alcove!

snowkarver is offline  
post #160 of 167 Old 07-23-2013, 09:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Keith AP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schuermann View Post

Similar in terms of throw ratio? I ask because the amount of pin cushion is strictly related to throw ratio, and is pretty consistent from lens to lens (in other words, the CineVista has no more or less pincushion than any other anamorphic lens at the same throw ratio). Shorter throw ratio = more pincushion, longer throw ratio = less pincushion. Ideally you would be at at least 3x the screen height or further back.

Good luck!

John, yes a similar throw ratio, 103" from a 41" height screen. Several years ago I had a large theater setup in Colorado using the UH480 and loved it. Since then I've moved and downsized - and am currently "room size challenged".

Another aspect that must be considered is that the lens of my current projector - the Benq W1070 - is recessed 1 1/8" from the front of the unit. What problems might this introduce if any?

What I was hoping to gather from snowkarver was a real-world image at his 2.5 TR to evaluate the effect of pincushion - and whether I might find it objectionable. From the sound of it, a projector's setup grid pattern might really look bad at 2.5 TR, but actual movie content might be passable for now.
Keith AP is offline  
post #161 of 167 Old 07-24-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
John Schuermann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith AP View Post

John, yes a similar throw ratio, 103" from a 41" height screen. Several years ago I had a large theater setup in Colorado using the UH480 and loved it. Since then I've moved and downsized - and am currently "room size challenged".

Another aspect that must be considered is that the lens of my current projector - the Benq W1070 - is recessed 1 1/8" from the front of the unit. What problems might this introduce if any?

What I was hoping to gather from snowkarver was a real-world image at his 2.5 TR to evaluate the effect of pincushion - and whether I might find it objectionable. From the sound of it, a projector's setup grid pattern might really look bad at 2.5 TR, but actual movie content might be passable for now.

The CineVista has a large enough aperture that the recessed lens should not make a difference, but your short throw complicates things a bit. You might call Dave or Russell at Panamorph and give them the specifics. The possible issue would be vignetting, where the sides of the image could be cut off. Not likely, but worth a call to tech support.

Passable to one person may be unacceptable to another smile.gif

John Schuermann, Filmmaker / Film Composer
Home Theater Industry Consultant
JS Music and Sound
Panamorph
Check out my new movie!: www.stephensonmovie.com
John Schuermann is offline  
post #162 of 167 Old 07-24-2013, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RLBURNSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,909
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowkarver View Post

There is noticeable CA fringing at the far edges (no electronic correction on the 8350), although the middle half is laudably sharp. Fine for movies and FPS games, not so much for web browsing and test patterns.

FYI : You can correct Chromatic aberattion from a PC on your desktop as well as movies and games (using either DirectX 8 / 9 / 10 / 11 / or OpenGL). How do I know this? Because I've done it. It's rather trivial to realign the colours at the edges, the hard part was making it work for games. I have currently no incentive to share my work for free, as I don't even own an A-lens currently to test it out with, and there's a bunch more tuning to be done before it's ready for prime time. Each lens is different and you really need to be able to tune the curves to achieve what ECC does on higher end projectors. My BenQ w1070 projector only cost me 850$, I just can't justify spending double that to squeeze out a slightly bigger / brighter image. (as much as I love widescreen)
greg1292 likes this.
RLBURNSIDE is online now  
post #163 of 167 Old 07-25-2013, 03:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CAVX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 8,435
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lightfoot View Post

If as John says the Cinevista is astigmatism corrected, and the MKII isn't (and you can't get the corrector element any more - pm Mark/CAVX for info), then you should have a sharper image with the Cinevista, so an upgrade smile.gif

Gary

There was never a corrector for the MK2, only the "CAVX Corrector" for MK3 (MK3+C). MK3 was also corrected for CA.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
CAVX is offline  
post #164 of 167 Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM
Newbie
 
crashball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I wanted to reach out and get some clarity before locking down my final projector location and seating distance. I've attempted to use some of the online placement calculators but they often have me asking more questions.
I'm very new in the field of projection systems, and lenses especially.

My setup consists of the following:
119" Screen Innovations Black Diamond 0.8 Gain 2.35 aspect ratio screen
Epson 6030UB
CineVista lens with mounting bracket for Epson 6030UB.

I have the flexibility of mounting my projector anywhere between 12' to 18' in my current room.

The calculator on projection central suggests that I mount the projector 16.8', which puts me on the edge of recommended for low ambient light. It claims an fL of 13.
If I adjust the throw range/zoom I can get an fL of 18 at a distance of 13' 2"

What are the pros and cons here...? Please help me understand FL vs. throw/range zoom and how it relates to the Cinevista placement requirements.
I'm very confused - just looking for the most ideal placement option while still maintaining great image brightness and reducing the pin cushion effect caused by the lens.

Much appreciated.
crashball is online now  
post #165 of 167 Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
stanger89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 18,471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Just ignore the brightness from the online calculator, they're bogus, or maybe more accurately there's really no way to tell if they're remotely close.

Also keep in mind that the calculators don't account for a lens, when you pick 2.35:1 there, it's assuming you're zooming. What you want to do is set the calculator to the height of your screen, and look at things like throw from there.

As far as the lens goes, you generally want to keep your throw as far as possible to minimize the distortions introduced.

Regarding brightness, it's fL = (Lumens/Screen Area)*Gain.

The 6030 should be good for about 600-700Lumens calibrated, you've got a 0.8 gain screen, 35.5 sqft, so... 700/35.5*0.8 ~= 16ftL

Of course that's at mid throw (brightness) so it would be less if you end up at long throw:
http://www.projectorreviews.com/epso...-1/#brightness

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
stanger89 is online now  
post #166 of 167 Unread Today, 07:57 AM
Newbie
 
crashball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Just ignore the brightness from the online calculator, they're bogus, or maybe more accurately there's really no way to tell if they're remotely close.

Also keep in mind that the calculators don't account for a lens, when you pick 2.35:1 there, it's assuming you're zooming. What you want to do is set the calculator to the height of your screen, and look at things like throw from there.

As far as the lens goes, you generally want to keep your throw as far as possible to minimize the distortions introduced.

Regarding brightness, it's fL = (Lumens/Screen Area)*Gain.

The 6030 should be good for about 600-700Lumens calibrated, you've got a 0.8 gain screen, 35.5 sqft, so... 700/35.5*0.8 ~= 16ftL

Of course that's at mid throw (brightness) so it would be less if you end up at long throw:
http://www.projectorreviews.com/epso...-1/#brightness

Thanks! Great guidance.

Ideally I'd like to keep the projector behind or directly above the last row of seating to keep it out of line of sight. that puts me at approximately 18ft.

Anything else I should consider?
crashball is online now  
post #167 of 167 Unread Today, 08:32 AM
Newbie
 
crashball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Just ignore the brightness from the online calculator, they're bogus, or maybe more accurately there's really no way to tell if they're remotely close.

Also keep in mind that the calculators don't account for a lens, when you pick 2.35:1 there, it's assuming you're zooming. What you want to do is set the calculator to the height of your screen, and look at things like throw from there.

As far as the lens goes, you generally want to keep your throw as far as possible to minimize the distortions introduced.

Regarding brightness, it's fL = (Lumens/Screen Area)*Gain.

The 6030 should be good for about 600-700Lumens calibrated, you've got a 0.8 gain screen, 35.5 sqft, so... 700/35.5*0.8 ~= 16ftL

Of course that's at mid throw (brightness) so it would be less if you end up at long throw:
http://www.projectorreviews.com/epso...-1/#brightness

Thanks! Great guidance.

Ideally I'd like to keep the projector behind or directly above the last row of seating to keep it out of line of sight. that puts me at approximately 18ft.

Anything else I should consider?
crashball is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off