Favorite scope movies for Halloween - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 09-28-2012, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Halloween is just a month away and I'm looking for some ideas for a good movie or two to watch that night. My daughter is 14 and just started High School, so she's at an odd age. On the one hand, I'd kind of like something scary, but I'm thinking maybe not too scary. In any case, don't worry about me, just post your top picks. If you have particular insights into the quality of the Blu-ray transfers, that would be great to hear as well.

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-28-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 68
The ones that come to mind for me:

The original Halloween (maybe too violent and has brief female frontal nudity), Suspiria (over the top...old school blood...meaning it doesn't look real), Poltergeist, Insideous (my pick for that age), Drag Me to Hell would be good scope movies for kids that age. The last three (Poltergeist, Insideous and Drag me to Hell) are movies I let my son and his 14 yo friends watch. If there is violence, I try to pick movies that don't depict the violence outright or it's over the top...making it cartoonish. Drag Me to Hell has some scary gross moments, but the violence has in much in common with Looney Toons as it does horror movies (Sam Rami was the director).

Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #3 of 19 Old 09-28-2012, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Poltergeist is a great suggestion. Thanks!

But I didn't intend for this thread to be just about suggestions for me. Please post some of your personal favorite scope horror movies!

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #4 of 19 Old 09-28-2012, 05:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I don't mind at all, esp. since my son is the same age. Maybe there are others that would benefit. Another suggestion is "The Woman in Black", Jaws or Shaun of the Dead (but it's rated r...for language and some grisly zombie violence towards the end.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #5 of 19 Old 09-28-2012, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 141
rboster posted some great ones! Pick up The Descent for amazing pq/aq and it's pretty darn scary to boot. Here's a few others:

The Thing
Tucker and Dale Vs Evil
The Frighteners
Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Trick 'r Treat
Zombieland
The Lost Boys
The Monster Squad

And last but not least - awesome movie but not really for kids:

The Hills Have Eyes (2006)

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 19 Old 09-29-2012, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

rboster posted some great ones! Pick up The Descent for amazing pq/aq and it's pretty darn scary to boot. Here's a few
The Frighteners

That could have been a really scary film if it wasn't for MJF and the comedy relief ghosts.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #7 of 19 Old 09-29-2012, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

That could have been a really scary film if it wasn't for MJF and the comedy relief ghosts.

True but that's just Peter Jackson's style I guess. His horror movies are more "fun" than scary. smile.gif

Since we're just posting our favorites I'd like to add 2 more of mine with great PQ/SQ:

The Hills Have Eyes 2006
Triangle

God I'm going to miss my PJ and 2.35 screen this October. frown.gif

31 Days of Horror:

post #8 of 19 Old 09-30-2012, 07:50 AM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
What about some of the classics just released: Frankenstein, The Mummy, The Wolf Man, The Invisible Man, Creature from the Black Lagoon. Pretty low key and right in line with the halloween classics.

Or something more recent - Woman in Black, it made my hair stand up.

The Shining comes to mind but I haven't seen it in a long time, don't remember if it's too much or not.

post #9 of 19 Old 10-01-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

What about some of the classics just released: Frankenstein, The Mummy, The Wolf Man, The Invisible Man, Creature from the Black Lagoon. Pretty low key and right in line with the halloween classics.
The Shining comes to mind but I haven't seen it in a long time, don't remember if it's too much or not.

The o/p asked for movies in scope. The only of those that qualify is The Woman in Black.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #10 of 19 Old 10-01-2012, 03:16 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Quote:

The o/p asked for movies in scope. The only of those that qualify is The Woman in Black.
Sorry, missed that detail. Cheers, Scott

post #11 of 19 Old 10-03-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Woman in Black was pretty good and nothing glaringly inappropriate that I can recall.

post #12 of 19 Old 10-04-2012, 05:20 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

My daughter now 17 has a movie Halloween party every year. Last year they did Young Dr Frankenstein. This year old enough for something scary maybe. She is thinking leading with a short classic then going with woman in black. I'm interested in which you choose.

Scott

post #13 of 19 Old 10-05-2012, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Yeah, I just got my 2.35:1 screen and I figured this sub-forum doesn't get enough activity, so it seemed like a fun thread to start. I don't mind if people post non-scope movies, but if you do that, please try to indicate which of your suggestions are scope vs not.

On that note, one of the movies I thought of which should be great for her age is Tremors, but it's only 1.85:1. Also, unfortunately, Netflix doesn't seem to have the Blu-ray available, but I could subscribe to Blockbuster's by-mail service and get it.

Anyways. keep the suggestions coming!

Scott R
--------------
post #14 of 19 Old 10-08-2012, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Tremors is great. Not that it would matter for a 17 yo b-day party but that 1.85 image is riddled with edge enhancement. If you're looking for a "fun" one check out Tucker and Dale vs. Evil. It's 2.35, mild gore and I don't remember any sex in it. Very good horror comedy!

31 Days of Horror:

post #15 of 19 Old 10-10-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Tucker and Dale is fun, but don't play the trailer beforehand. It gives away almost every single joke and plot-point from beginning to end.

Josh Z
)
Curator,

post #16 of 19 Old 10-15-2012, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Woman in Black is one of my new favs for recent horror. A nice return for Hammer Films.

Are those classics in c scope?

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #17 of 19 Old 10-16-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Monster House is one that might be good for the age range.

Josh Z
)
Curator,

post #18 of 19 Old 10-27-2012, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

Tremors is great. Not that it would matter for a 17 yo b-day party but that 1.85 image is riddled with edge enhancement. If you're looking for a "fun" one check out Tucker and Dale vs. Evil. It's 2.35, mild gore and I don't remember any sex in it. Very good horror comedy!
That's too bad about Tremors. I actually ended up ordering the Blu-ray from Amazon (since I think I could get it for $10 or less), but haven't watched it yet.

FWIW, my daughter is 14 (another poster mentioned having a 17-year-old). Her/our party was last night and we ended up watching the original Halloween. I had forgotten that the movie was 2.35:1 and the beginning (or maybe it was the logo or just the trailers or something - we were watching the Blu-ray) wasn't in 2.35:1 format, so I originally didn't have my Epson 8350 set to fill the screen. Then about 10 minutes into it I realized it actually was displaying in scope so I paused it and filled up my new screen. smile.gif

My daughter and two of her friends appeared to be frightened during parts of it, while her one other friend at the party was unphased (this girl brought the movie "The Ring" with her, so clearly she was prepared for some scary stuff wink.gif). From my perspective, there was definitely some scary suspenseful moments, as well as some frontal nudity and other naughty bits, but overall the movie lacked any major gore/violence. I think the average PG-13 action movie these days probably has more graphic violence.

Anyways, we haven't watched them (yet), but we also got: Friday the 13th, The Shining, Poltergeist, and Jeepers Creepers (the last one I figured would be too scary for them). I still have a few others in my Netflix queue as well: Evil Dead 2, Children of the Corn, and Misery. I don't remember off-hand which of these are scope and which are not.

Scott R
--------------
post #19 of 19 Old 10-31-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Trick 'r Treat is in 2.35 and one of the best contemporary Horror/Halloween movies. Great PQ/SQ too. Give it a look next year. wink.gif

31 Days of Horror:

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page