Zoom to scope without lens shift? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-23-2012, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to be able to use the zoom method to fill my scope screen, when it gets built. The projectors I am looking at don't have lens shift, like the Epson 3020.
Why don't more projectors have the option of shifting the scope image to the top of the projected image. By that I mean effectively combining both black bars under the image. I have been searching a lot of topics but can't find much information on this. If I could do this then the Epson 3020 would work great.
I see that the HD33 has an option in the menu for "VERTICAL LOCATION" but that projector doesn't have enough zoom.
Any input would be great thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-23-2012, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Don't worry about zooming or fancy adjustments to your offset.

Use a good anamorphic lens and you get:
  • Automatic constant height (no image positioning, zooming, re-focus, re-positioning etc. adjustment required)
  • Brighter image (by 15-20%)
  • Denser pixels (2K: 2,073,600 versus 1,555,200, or for 4K: 8,294,400 versus 6,220,800 - that's a whopping 2 million extra)
  • Better contrast than a wide aperture zoomed image.
  • Easy switch between 2.35:1 and 16:9... (just shift the lens out of the way).
  • Projector make and model-proof solution.

The anamorphic lens should be cylindrical (ground, polished glass with curved surfaces in the horizontal direction), not prism-based. If you don't believe me about cylindrical v. prism, ask yourself: do any of Panavision, Arriflex or Hawke use prism lenses?

Check specifications (if they are supplied) for distortion factors, colorimetry, sharpness etc. before you buy. Some lenses are better than others, and they're not necessarily the most expensive ones.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-23-2012, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Well the problem with a good anamorphic lens is the cost. My budget is around $1500 total for my projector setup. That is why I have been looking at the cheaper projectors like the Epson 3020.

post #4 of 9 Old 10-25-2012, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone know if shifting the scope image up to the top of the LCD is possible? Or is there a Blu-ray player that will do this for me?

post #5 of 9 Old 10-28-2012, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I believe you can do this with a computer and some of the video playback software options out there, but you'd be out of luck for any other video sources you may have.

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-02-2012, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Well now I am thinking of making a projector lift. The projector mount would allow the projector to move up and down 10". This movement would offset the top black bar when watching scope movies, allowing the image to be justified to the top of the screen. I work for a custom automation company so the overall cost would not be bad. I could probably make one for under $200, which is far less then an A-lens.
Then all I would have to adjust is the zoom and focus when switching between formats.
Does this sound like a reasonable option? Or am I crazy.

post #7 of 9 Old 11-03-2012, 01:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Well now I am thinking of making a projector lift. The projector mount would allow the projector to move up and down 10". This movement would offset the top black bar when watching scope movies, allowing the image to be justified to the top of the screen. I work for a custom automation company so the overall cost would not be bad. I could probably make one for under $200, which is far less then an A-lens.
Then all I would have to adjust is the zoom and focus when switching between formats.
Does this sound like a reasonable option? Or am I crazy?

Could be!

Why do it the easy way?

post #8 of 9 Old 11-03-2012, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I used to use an HTPC (Home Theatre PC) with my projector and the playback software I was using (Zoomplayer) allowed you to shift/manipulate the image however you wanted. When I got my first pj and before I went CIH that's what I used to do sometimes.

If you don't want to go the PC route, a good scaler will probably be able to do the same thing. You might be able to find a second hand one at a reasonable price if that's all you need it to do. Or keep your eye out for a used A lens at a reasonable price (unlikely but you never know).

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-10-2013, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello,

I was about to open a new thread when I stumbled on this one.
My question was how do you position a ceiling mounted projector that does not have zoom and/or shift memory in order to only have to zoom in or out to have a 16/9 or a 2:35 picture.
The way things are said here it seems that it is an impossible mission. Is it?
Forget about the lens solution, why can't there be a position where the zoom is moving around the "right" axis in order to get the top and bottom black bars in 16/9 away from the screen in 2:35 and keep the picture centered?

BUMP: Is this thread dead?
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page