Loaded question: what's the true aspect ratio of Skyfall? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-25-2012, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
At risk of rehashing the Avatar aspect ratio debate, it looks like Skyfall will be released in 2.39 in regular theaters and 1.90 for IMAX (links: http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2012/10/breathing_space_2.php, http://www.imax.com/community/blog/skyfall-specially-formatted-for-imax/); the 2.39 will be a crop of the 1.90.

So is there any info on which format this movie was primarily composed for? I'm hoping that when it's released on disk, it'll be at the IMAX ratio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-25-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilsiu View Post

At risk of rehashing the Avatar aspect ratio debate, it looks like Skyfall will be released in 2.39 in regular theaters and 1.90 for IMAX (links: http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2012/10/breathing_space_2.php, http://www.imax.com/community/blog/skyfall-specially-formatted-for-imax/); the 2.39 will be a crop of the 1.90.
So is there any info on which format this movie was primarily composed for? I'm hoping that when it's released on disk, it'll be at the IMAX ratio.

I haven't heard anything official one way or the other, but this sounds essentially the same as Prometheus, which was composed primarily for 2.40:1, but was left "safe" for some extra height in IMAX theaters. The Blu-ray is 2.40:1. I'd expect the same for this, unless we hear differently later on.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #3 of 5 Old 11-09-2012, 04:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What I'd like to know is whether the other non-IMAX jumbo screen formats -- namely, Cinemark XD -- will have the taller aspect ratio too, or whether it's only for IMAX-branded screens. Those other jumbo formats did get the day-early Thursday opening as well, after all.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-09-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by willdude View Post

What I'd like to know is whether the other non-IMAX jumbo screen formats -- namely, Cinemark XD -- will have the taller aspect ratio too, or whether it's only for IMAX-branded screens. Those other jumbo formats did get the day-early Thursday opening as well, after all.

No, the 1.9:1 aspect ratio is an IMAX thing.

Regal RPX, Cinemark XD and other IMAX competitors have traditional 2.40:1 screens.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #5 of 5 Old 11-16-2012, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Skyfall was capture on the Arri Alexa (with a handful of 2nd unit aerials done on the RED camera because of weight restrictions) by cinematographer Roger Deakins. You could probably ask him directly on his website deakinsonline.com (he will respond to you) but as far as I know the show was captured natively Arriraw meaning that the native aspect ratio from the camera would be 1.77 (16:9). A center extraction to 2.39 was done for the theatrical release. The IMAX is probably extracted from the 1.77 master. Because Roger does not like shooting anamorphic almost all of his recent 2.39 movies (No Country For Old Men and In Time) have been center extractions.

This image clearly shows the show being shot at 1.77 with the 2.39 crop marks.
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page