My new PJ can zoom. Why would I ever consider an Anamorphic lens? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-31-2012, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 50
So you say some new PJ's can zoom. Why would I want an Anamorphic lens? Is it just for the high end setups?

A.
Because it's better overall.
No, it is not just for the rich and famous. Although that's what they use.

We haven't had this war for a while, timely to rehash.....

Where ARE the usual suspects smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-31-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 119
What do you think of a lens with a 4K projector? Obviously brightness is still a factor, but is the difference between "2160p" significantly better/smoother than "1620p"?

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #3 of 4 Old 10-31-2012, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 50
For true 4k, if you don't need the light (read you are trying to cut down on light), you don't want the extra light, and anamorphic content is not available, then I'd say one coudl live without an A-lens in that specific case. Otherwise, same arguments as always apply. If 4K is good horizontally, then 4k must be good vertically, too, right smile.gif. Especially since you are already scaling (1080p) anyway. smile.gif
post #4 of 4 Old 10-31-2012, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
There's no question that with 2K a lens is essential for the finest quality image (provided it's a good lens).

With 4K, I still think it's a good idea. Maybe even more essential.

If you're using a 4K projector then you want the best quality on offer. Add a couple of pluses if you can get a hold of actual, genuine 4K material (as opposed to up-scaled Blu-Ray).

An A-lens preserves the pixel density of 4K much more than zooming it does. There are over 2 million extra pixels with a $k-Anamorphic (Freudian typo: I meant "4K-anamorphic") combination than with zooming a 4K image.

You want to throw out 2 million pixels (equivalent to about an entire Blu-Ray/2K screenfull of pixels)? Then why did you buy a 4K projector?

I do agree with Get Gray, however: with 2K stuff upscaled the need does not seem so pressing, although I have seen a couple of 4Ks in operation and their auto-zoom/focus/offset is awful slow. They have to get that re-focus after zooming and re-positioning PERFECT to preserve the 4K brilliance (and the re-positioning isn't so repeatable, either after a few cycles). With an A-lens, of course, there is no refocus, no re-positioning and the image is up to 20% brighter than zooming.

Summary: use 4K with a lens and the overall picture quality is better preserved than with straight zooming.
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page