post #91 of 127 Old 02-26-2013, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schuermann View Post

If you think about it, essentially all movies have subtitles of some kind, as most movies are released with French and Spanish subtitles at a minimum. Otherwise you limit your release to US only. With Folded Space, the intent is to offer greater flexibility for compatibility with the greatest variety of systems, rather than the other way around.

The other issue is that some of the most popular series, such as the STAR WARS, STAR TREK, and James Bond series, all have rather extensive subtitles.

Ok, that makes sense. I was thinking like a selfish American, lol, as I would never use Spanish or French subtitles. That would pretty much be a deal breaker for me to watch a movie if I had to read the whole thing in subtitles, lol. Well, as soon as you guys get these things out I will be building my future library with them and possibly even rebuilding my current library.

-Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 127 Old 02-26-2013, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

The other issue is that some of the most popular series, such as the STAR WARS, STAR TREK, and James Bond series, all have rather extensive subtitles.

The BD releases of these films all seem to have STs in the active image.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #93 of 127 Old 02-27-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by 230-SEAN View Post

That would pretty much be a deal breaker for me to watch a movie if I had to read the whole thing in subtitles, lol.

You're missing out on some of the greatest movies ever made.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Curator,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #94 of 127 Old 02-27-2013, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

What's your top 3 Josh?
Cheers, Scott

post #95 of 127 Old 02-27-2013, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Yeah, even though most foreign film on DVD/BD have the option to select English soundtracks and turn the STs off, there are some films like RUN LOLA RUN (not scope unfortunately) that should be watched with STs on and the original soundtrack.

Mark Techer

post #96 of 127 Old 02-28-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

What's your top 3 Josh?
Cheers, Scott

Ever, or currently available on Blu-ray?

I don't like to rank things, but about half of the titles released by the Criterion Collection would be good candidates. Fellini's '8 1/2' is a particular favorite of mine.

Kind of getting off topic here, though.

Josh Z
)
Curator,

post #97 of 127 Old 02-28-2013, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I meant current on Blu-Ray. I've become a HD snob I guess. No need to rank, just looking for some pointers for some favorites. I've never cared for ST either, but I'm open minded if oyu have some specifics you think are worthy of consideration for a no-ST guy smile.gif

post #98 of 127 Old 03-01-2013, 07:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

I meant current on Blu-Ray. I've become a HD snob I guess. No need to rank, just looking for some pointers for some favorites. I've never cared for ST either, but I'm open minded if oyu have some specifics you think are worthy of consideration for a no-ST guy smile.gif

Hard to say without knowing your taste in movies.

Josh Z
)
Curator,

post #99 of 127 Old 04-23-2013, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just when I was getting really interested in this Folded Space thing our Expert has gone AWOL .

I wonder what's going on behind closed doors ?cool.gif

Scott...............rolleyes.gif

"Home Theatre is a Journey , not a Destination "
post #100 of 127 Old 04-23-2013, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Still under consideration from several major studios. The issue right now is that 4K is the current "bright shiny ball" and therefore where most of the attention is focused...

Home Theater Industry Consultant

Check out my new movie!:
post #101 of 127 Old 04-24-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:

Still under consideration from several major studios. The issue right now is that 4K is the current "bright shiny ball" and therefore where most of the attention is focused...

While it may not use the technique(s) y'all have come up with for encoding, it would probably be prudent to discuss an anamorphic mode for any 4K Blu-ray format upgrade. Meaning, while they have the spec open and it would require new(er) hardware and firmware to support at all, adding 2.35 native support (ala 16x9 mode from DVD) might not be such a big deal... Adding anything later, of course, is much more difficult.

Would love to see a solution regardless of the implementation!

Jeff

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #102 of 127 Old 04-26-2013, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The problem I see is that 4K cameras like RED can actually capture 5K and 4K should not limit the width for Scope or we will have the same BS with letter-boxing we currenty have with BD now. It should be used to set the standard for the height ONLY of 2160 (2x 1080).

5K = 5120 x 2880

2K = 2048 x 1080
4K = 4096 x 2160 = 1.89:1
5K = 5120 x 2160 = 2.37:1

Mark Techer

post #103 of 127 Old 06-12-2013, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

The problem I see is that 4K cameras like RED can actually capture 5K and 4K should not limit the width for Scope or we will have the same BS with letter-boxing we currenty have with BD now. It should be used to set the standard for the height ONLY of 2160 (2x 1080).

5K = 5120 x 2880

2K = 2048 x 1080
4K = 4096 x 2160 = 1.89:1
5K = 5120 x 2160 = 2.37:1

Unfortunately, we're probably going to have the same issues with 4k when it hits the mainstream. Thats where John's work may have an effect. I think you have to be in on the initial design and development stages, because its just too hard to changed things after they're in production or have been established for many years. If FS can some how just get a 3840x2160P Enhanced for 2.35 to be implemented in future product, soft and hardware, that would be great. You have to buy a new Folded Space player and media anyway. Doesn't it make sense to make the conversion to a true 4K source and media at this time and kill the proverbial two with one. Then you can wait until the right 4K projector comes along. I think you would be amazed at how good 4K sourced and down rez'd 1080P projected picture looks. Forget 2560x1080 as that was dead before it started. Now going forward we have 3840x1620 LB for the 16x9 4K sets and a enhanced for 21x9 option. The HardDrive/Media Player could have a dedicated HD1080P and UHD2160P hdmi outs. Hollywood could adapt as they did once before with DVD.

post #104 of 127 Old 06-13-2013, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post

Unfortunately, we're probably going to have the same issues with 4k when it hits the mainstream. Thats where John's work may have an effect. I think you have to be in on the initial design and development stages, because its just too hard to changed things after they're in production or have been established for many years. If FS can some how just get a 3840x2160P Enhanced for 2.35 to be implemented in future product, soft and hardware, that would be great. You have to buy a new Folded Space player and media anyway. Doesn't it make sense to make the conversion to a true 4K source and media at this time and kill the proverbial two with one. Then you can wait until the right 4K projector comes along. I think you would be amazed at how good 4K sourced and down rez'd 1080P projected picture looks. Forget 2560x1080 as that was dead before it started. Now going forward we have 3840x1620 LB for the 16x9 4K sets and a enhanced for 21x9 option. The HardDrive/Media Player could have a dedicated HD1080P and UHD2160P hdmi outs. Hollywood could adapt as they did once before with DVD.

Yes what you are saying makes sense and I welcome anamorphic enhanced at ANY rez over 1080. What I am saying is to look how THE HOBBIT was captured. If I understood it correctly, it was captured at 5K and they letter boxed that down to 5120 x 2160. If 4K remains as a 16:9 format, nothing changes apart from 4x the rez and granted that is a MASSIVE step up. Most people will stay with 1080P in 16:9 because there will no reason for them to change. The old ignorance is bliss ego thing will kick in.

Mark Techer

post #105 of 127 Old 06-14-2013, 12:20 AM

Liked: 11
Because film studios' and manufacturers' focus is now on 4K, that is exactly why the new tech of anamorphic encoding should be vigorously offered to as 5120 x 2160 resolution.

(My 5 cents: Apple. Offering 5120 x 2160 could give the edge over the other 4K manufacturers. They are on a very strong position to negotiate with studios as well.)

It is always easier to modify what is yet to come than what exists already.
post #106 of 127 Old 06-18-2013, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

Yes what you are saying makes sense and I welcome anamorphic enhanced at ANY rez over 1080. What I am saying is to look how THE HOBBIT was captured. If I understood it correctly, it was captured at 5K and they letter boxed that down to 5120 x 2160. If 4K remains as a 16:9 format, nothing changes apart from 4x the rez and granted that is a MASSIVE step up. Most people will stay with 1080P in 16:9 because there will no reason for them to change. The old ignorance is bliss ego thing will kick in.

I gotcha. If it was up to me I'd use the whole 2700 pixels and slap a squeezer on that camera. I would be inclined to believe that everything stays the same. That would suck. Hopefully there's enough talk, if not demand, for Enhanced for 21x9 that its included. It may be that a streaming service like Odemax or something will be the answer. Just anything 1080 and above.

post #107 of 127 Old 07-23-2013, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 133
John, any news? It would be nice if we had the same capability DVDs had ten years ago.
post #108 of 127 Old 07-24-2013, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Oops, missed this. There are two threads on the Folded Space technology, and I posted this to the other thread:

One of the majors is doing a test with a VERY popular title this month. Can't tell you any more at this point, other than by "test" I mean they are testing our technology internally.

I can update that to say that we have the footage IN HOUSE right now and are running it through the MFE process. I'm not sure when our actual studio demo with the processed footage will be, but it should be soon.
Blasst likes this.

Check out my new movie!:
post #109 of 127 Old 07-24-2013, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Share whatever info or samples you can, the community is very excited! (well, at least <-- this community, of one)
post #110 of 127 Old 07-25-2013, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanx John,

we hold the Line !
Anything else that normal users can do to push this ?

Greetings from Germany dirk
post #111 of 127 Old 07-25-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I appreciate the show of support! Not much anyone else can do, nor is there much else I can share at this point. Please stand by smile.gif

Check out my new movie!:
post #112 of 127 Old 07-26-2013, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Good luck with the test! I'm excited to hear how it goes.

-Sean
post #113 of 127 Old 07-31-2013, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

I appreciate the show of support! Not much anyone else can do, nor is there much else I can share at this point. Please stand by smile.gif

Will do John.biggrin.gif
Kudos for keeping us updated.

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening
post #114 of 127 Old 08-04-2013, 08:42 PM

Unless you prefer otherwise, I'll try to assist in that regard.thank you msAq
post #115 of 127 Old 08-05-2013, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Whenever the test demo discs are ready I will be glad to help test them out for you!
post #116 of 127 Old 08-06-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks to all for the shows of support. All of the testing is under NDA so I don't think test discs will be circulating... frown.gif

Check out my new movie!:
post #117 of 127 Old 08-23-2013, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
John,

While you have stated you are under a NDA, are there any new "crumbs" that might be allowed to fall to the ground so that we won't starve? wink.gif

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening
post #118 of 127 Old 08-26-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

The last thing I want to carry around with me is the guilt of knowing that I caused someone on the AVS Forum to starve. wink.gif

All I can tell you is that we have created a demo of our technology using footage from a MAJOR blockbuster film from a major studio. We are now just waiting for that studio to arrange for us to come out and perform the demo. It might have to wait a bit, as they are busy and Panamorph is getting ready for CEDIA...

Check out my new movie!:
post #119 of 127 Old 08-26-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 145
OK, I've got a question....

My understanding is your system relies on the player, or more specifically the BD-J system running on the player to put up black masks to cover the gray "noise" in the bars where the additional information is contained, or for the player to decode that additional information and integrate it all. Is that correct?

The reason I ask is, there are a "lot", ok a number of us who don't use traditional Blu-ray players to play our Blu-ray content, and thus don't have any BD-J involved at all. If this system gains traction, what are we to do? Will there be a way (software) to preprocess the files to convert them to real 1920x1080 anamorphic or 2560x1080 files? Or some way to do it in real time?

I guess what I'm getting at is I have no interest in going back to playing movies from my collection via a normal BD player and all the associated annoyances of forced trailers and menus, startup time, etc. But I don't have a "warm fuzzy" that I'll be able to actually make use of this system without doing that.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do,
post #120 of 127 Old 08-27-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Technically, it would be possible for us to license or provide software to decode MFE-encoded video whether on disc or as a separate file, and if we did license to a BD software player developer it's possible that that software player could decode the source media file even outside the context of a BD disc.

Alternatively, there are free tools commonly used in a ripping workflow, for instance VLC or ffmpeg, that can crop the content to 1920 x 810, obviating the need for the BD-J mask.

The best answer is that we are way too early in the process to really speculate on this yet.

Check out my new movie!:
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page