CIH with mixed size screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-11-2012, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'm looking at getting a custom size screen to maintain full height of my preferred 16x9 image but add more width for 2.35 viewing. My proposed screen size is a 60H x 130W. I understand this will give me small bars on top and bottom for 2.35 but it will still be a better experience than a standard 16x9 width based on 60H.

My question:

If I go with an A lens, can it be configured to take advantage of both scenarios or is my 16x9 image going to only have a 55 inch height based on the math from a standard 130 inch wide 2.35 ratio?

Im also considering doing the zoom method for scope. Will the JVC projectors with the lens memory allow me to set this up for two modes that will take advantage of the full height for 16x9 and then the full width for 2.35?

3rd option would be a radiance mini 3d. Can you do custom ratios so everything would fill the 60 x 130? Would that end up looking like crap? I'm not familiar with how badly the scaling affects image quality.

I know there's all kinds of opinions on image quality. I'm not looking for that debate. I'm just trying to see what's physically possible options for mixed area screen and what would be easiest to implement when it comes to switching between the two aspects.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-11-2012, 11:17 AM

Liked: 12
Using an A-lens, you would still have to zoom the projector to reach the full screen height for 16:9 material.

The lens memory in the JVCs will do what you want. I'd describe the lens memory in my RS55 as accurate, but not always perfect. It is much more accurate if the projector is centered with the screen so no horizontal lens shift is needed. On your proposed screen it should be even more accurate since there is not as much zooming/shifting as on a CIH screen.

Using a Radiance you can do a couple of different things:

1. You can keep the projector zoomed to the full screen width and display 2.35 content just like using the zoom method. Then the Lumagen can shrink/downscale 16:9 content to fit the height of the screen. The lumagen scaling is so good you might not even notice any quality loss (less resolution loss than if this method was used on a CIH screen). This would look essentially the same as zooming (small black bars for all ARs) but AR changes would be faster and more accurate.

2. You could use a combination of cropping and/or stretching to fill the whole screen with either AR. Again, given the quality of the scaling, it should still look very good, but of course a film purist may take issue with this choice. wink.gif
post #3 of 6 Old 11-11-2012, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Could you get a 130 x 55.3 screen and move your seating a little closer so that 16:9 looks the same size as before (keeping the same seating distance to screen height ratio)? That would simplify things and remove the black bars.

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #4 of 6 Old 11-11-2012, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

With me bigger is better. I have two rows and an open bar area at the rear of the theater.
So I'm thinking either lumagen with an hw50 or lens memory with JVC. It looks as if both will do about the same regarding aspect ratio and ease of use.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-11-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomdaf View Post

I'm looking at getting a custom size screen to maintain full height of my preferred 16x9 image but add more width for 2.35 viewing. My proposed screen size is a 60H x 130W.

Is your room not wide enough to support the Scope screen width of 144" (2.40:1)?

As has been mentioned, sitting close is one way to make the image appear larger. My front row is 2x the image height off the screen and I love that.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #6 of 6 Old 11-11-2012, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

It's 14'11" wide. Problem is the breaker panel is behind my screen wall (false wall). If I go 130 wide it leaves me enough room to remove a side panel and have easy access to the panel. I also think I'm pushing the lumen limits of sub 5k PJ's at that size
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page