AVS Forum banner

To mask or Not to Mask?

4K views 69 replies 10 participants last post by  R Harkness 
#1 ·
For those of you with 2:35.1 do you have masking?

I really have never thought about 2:35 until I saw it about two weeks ago. The wife and I stopped into a store and in one of the rooms we watched 007 on a Wolf Cinema Pup and a Stewart 138" masking screen. When he went from 16:9 to 2:35 the wife and I both went WOW.... So I wanted it... but other than the initial wow it had do I really need it?

The projector will be a JVC RS66 and I currently have 110" Stewart Studiotek 130. I am thinking of going with the 138" Stewart with UltraMatte 150 and 98% of what I watch is Blu-Ray. I think I am leaning more to the 2:35 so now I am considering my options for masking. Do you think the electric masking systems are worth the extra $$$ or is it smarter to just use curtains to mask on the few times you need the 16:9 image?

Mike here at AVS has been a lot of help... I'm just looking for other options.

#52 ·
SMX has an interesting setup. They sell Pro Panels for their fixed screens.

http://www.smxscreen.com/pro-panels-masking.html

I have a fixed 16:9 screen, and got hit by the 2.35 bug as well. To add the panels to my setup was only a couple hundred dollars, and they work fairly well. I leave the panels on as the norm, and only take them off in the rare occasion, we are watching something 16:9.

They used to have a big presence on the forums, but don't think they post much now for whatever reason. AVS is probably still a dealer (i think).

#54 ·
In the days when I didn't have a fixed frame screen I got round the whole thing with two motorised screens. One 16:9 in the front with the fabric rolling over the back of the roller. Behind that I had the scope screen with the fabric rolling over the front of the roller. Both screen fabric were only approx 1/2" apart, there was never a focus problem. A quicker and cleaner solution when one doesn't have a dedicated HT.

#55 ·
I'd thought about the two screen idea, but given the £1,500 cost of my 2.35:1 screen I'd have to spend similar on the 16:9 screen as otherwise I'd be compromising my 16:9 viewing if I just bought a cheap screen. However, 16:9 isn't such a large part of my viewing which makes it hard to justify the high cost, so the simple side masks seem an adequate solution for now.

#56 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S  /t/1443593/to-mask-or-not-to-mask/30#post_22724358

In the new year we are going to contact the woman who made our kitchen blinds. She mentioned electric option, so I might get her to make two electric black velvet blinds to put inside my screen pelmet, for the full 'couch potato' adjustable side masking

If my experience is any example, I'd be careful about getting your hopes too high as far as a "velvet blind" system.

Before I went with curtains blocking my brighter walls, I tried for a year to come up with a system of pull down blinds (because they would hide so well in my drop down ceiling). Over and over I ran into this issue when trying to get anyone to make my blinds: they said blinds must be made of non-stretching material. Otherwise either soon, or over time, the stretching of the material causes the blind to roll up unevenly and it just won't work. Every velvet I could find to present to blind makers were rejected for being too stretchy. Which is why every roller blind material offered by manufacturers is made of a stiff, non-stretching plastic material. So I was left to try and find a suitable black blind material as offered by blind making companies. Unfortunately, though I looked at many examples of manufacturer black blind materials, all were too plasticy/shiny/reflective for my use (even my black out blinds). Nothing does it like velvet.

I did end up using a drop down blind solution done in velvet, which covered a portion of one wall. However, it was done Roman Blind style, so the velvet when pulled up to the ceiling collapsed into folds. It used a string as a pull up device.

Just in case any of this is pertinent to your plans...

Rich

#57 ·
Thanks Rich. I hadn't thought off the stretch issue.
It was just that the 'blind lady' mentioned about the electric option when we had some blinds made for another room and it stuck in the back of my mind. My temporary fix is working so well though, despite it looking a bit rubbish with the lights on, I can easily take them down and put them away. Last night we watched some HD recordings off my PVR and they were all 16:9 (or rather 1.85:1) and the masking just worked so well, having the picture framed nicely makes such a difference. Some early evening viewing tonight will be 1.85:1 as it's the end of some TV series that we watch, so I'll use them again. I'm almost reluctant to watch any of the three rental BluRays that came in the post this week as they are all 2.40:1. Never mind I'm sure I'll cope with the extra width.

#59 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by clrv  /t/1443593/to-mask-or-not-to-mask/30#post_22746653

Thanks everyone for the help. I was really wanting to go the DIY route but time and room constraints keep me from it. I went ahead and ordered a Masaqurade system. Thanks once again for helping me spend my money Mike.

Very good move. You are going to be very happy once you see your Masquerade system in action!

#60 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by clrv  /t/1443593/to-mask-or-not-to-mask/30#post_22746653

Thanks everyone for the help. I was really wanting to go the DIY route but time and room constraints keep me from it. I went ahead and ordered a Masaqurade system. Thanks once again for helping me spend my money Mike.

Yeah, you won't regret it. One suggestion - look at the instruction manual on the web site, and print it out in color (or read it on screen) - there's a lot of photos, and IIRC, the copy that came with my crate was in B&W and didn't show all the details in the photos... And get a nice, patient friend to help with the install!!!

Jeff

#61 ·
Thanks for the tip... Will definitely take your advise. Wife probably is not the friend I should use then. She is patient but we don't always work so well together with things like this.

I did not plan so well though. I just ordered my 138" Stewart Deluxe screen... has not even got here yet. Hind site I should have just bought the luxas screen. Mike tried to tell me that. I would have saved a little money and now I have to shim the Masquerade to fit around the screen.

#62 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by clrv  /t/1443593/to-mask-or-not-to-mask/60#post_22751351

I did not plan so well though. I just ordered my 138" Stewart Deluxe screen... has not even got here yet. Hind site I should have just bought the luxas screen. Mike tried to tell me that. I would have saved a little money and now I have to shim the Masquerade to fit around the screen.

Why didn't you just order the 136" Carada screen with a simple frame that they sell specifically for use with the Masquerade?

#63 ·
Because I current have a 110" Stewart Studiotek and love the screen. I was initially going to do a DIY project with the new 138" Stewart that I have on order. I decided to late to add the Masquerade system or I would have just ordered the luxus frame.

#64 ·
Just wanted to add that I saw the magnificent Sony VW1000ES yesterday on a 4 metre 2.35:1 screen in a very large dark room (so literally no reflections back to screen). Yet I could still see the side panels of the screen when we viewed 16:9 content so even such a projector in such a great room still could still benefit with side masking.

My little temporary bits of velvet hung with small cup hooks either side of my screen have worked very well over Christmas. One night we watched a 2.35:1 film (The Grey) and then put on some HD recording from my PVR in 1.78:1. It took only a minute to lift my Isco II down, press the lens memory button on my remote (just to slightly increase the image height again with the lens out of the way) and then hang the two masks in place. Quiet a slick change by my standards.

I'm sure an Isco III on an electric slide along with a screen with motorised side masks would be even better, but this is still streets ahead of me struggling to clip the velvet to my screen pelmet and then hearing the clips 'ping' off behind me as I walked back to my seat.
Plus I'd have to then adjust the zoom and focus using the remote, so more messing about. As my room is far from perfect not seeing the side panels light up in brighter scenes really helps improve the perceived contrast too.

#65 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S  /t/1443593/to-mask-or-not-to-mask/60#post_22764809

Just wanted to add that I saw the magnificent Sony VW1000ES yesterday on a 4 metre 2.35:1 screen in a very large dark room (so literally no reflections back to screen). Yet I could still see the side panels of the screen when we viewed 16:9 content so even such a projector in such a great room still could still benefit with side masking.

My little temporary bits of velvet hung with small cup hooks either side of my screen have worked very well over Christmas. One night we watched a 2.35:1 film (The Grey) and then put on some HD recording from my PVR in 1.78:1. It took only a minute to lift my Isco II down, press the lens memory button on my remote (just to slightly increase the image height again with the lens out of the way) and then hang the two masks in place. Quiet a slick change by my standards.

I'm sure an Isco III on an electric slide along with a screen with motorised side masks would be even better, but this is still streets ahead of me struggling to clip the velvet to my screen pelmet and then hearing the clips 'ping' off behind me as I walked back to my seat.
Plus I'd have to then adjust the zoom and focus using the remote, so more messing about. As my room is far from perfect not seeing the side panels light up in brighter scenes really helps improve the perceived contrast too.

LOL. You have the "masking disease." So sorry to see you join our sorry, leprous ranks.

I find unmasked images somewhat frustrating to watch, as I'm aware of "gray bar" space I don't see at home and know the image would look better masked. Ah well. It looks like you are working out your own antidote.

#66 ·
Yes, I've definitely got the masking disease now Rich. I'm going to make up my Mk2 masks soon using some 3mm hardboard wrapped in velvet, they should give a crisper edge than my existing ones which are just folded over and stuck using carpet tape. I got away with leaving them up over Christmas (as they get messed up if I try rolling them up and putting them away) so will have to get the Mk2 version done soon.

#67 ·
Can the Masquerade or comparable masking system be drawn fully in to cover the entire screen when not in use, or does it only close down to the smallest aspect ratio? I previously used curtains for masking in my old location, but now that I've moved, I don't think curtains will work in the new room. I want something that only covers the screen, and doesn't drape down below it.

Will I have to create something custom? I fear that I'm not talented enough to do that well.

#68 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z  /t/1443593/to-mask-or-not-to-mask/60#post_23266997

Can the Masquerade or comparable masking system be drawn fully in to cover the entire screen when not in use, or does it only close down to the smallest aspect ratio? I previously used curtains for masking in my old location, but now that I've moved, I don't think curtains will work in the new room. I want something that only covers the screen, and doesn't drape down below it.

Will I have to create something custom? I fear that I'm not talented enough to do that well.

Josh,

I have the horizontal version of the Carada Masquerade:

http://www.carada.com/masquerade-masking-system.aspx

I had the same question before I bought it, wondering if it would close to cover the entire screen. It does not - it just closes to the most narrow AR. (Actually, I've tweaked it to close somewhat beyond that, but not fully closed). Carada told me they considered a system that would fully close, but it would have added to the cost so they left it out, figuring it was not the prime reason for the masking system anyway. I presume it's the same for their vertical system which you'd be interested in, but you can ask them of course. (They are incredibly responsive to inquiries).

I'd suggest the type of remote controlled curtain/panel system I'm using for my side masking, which can both hit all the AR sizes and also close to cover the whole screen, but you are saying curtains won't work. Why not? Not enough room to stack to the sides for the screen size you wish?

#69 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness  /t/1443593/to-mask-or-not-to-mask/60#post_23268013

I'd suggest the type of remote controlled curtain/panel system I'm using for my side masking, which can both hit all the AR sizes and also close to cover the whole screen, but you are saying curtains won't work. Why not? Not enough room to stack to the sides for the screen size you wish?

Yes, I'm very tight for space on the left of the screen. Also, I just don't think they'll look good with my current decor.

#70 ·
That's a tough one then. Have you emailed Carada to ask if their CIH masking system fully closes?

I wasn't a fan of using black velvet curtains myself, so I went with a moving black velvet panel system. I just put as wide a screen as possible on my wall. The velvet masking panels still hang and stack to each side of the screen, but not outside the screen. They cover the side of the screen frame (in fact, replace it). So it's like the side of the screen slide in and out to change shape.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.