Get rid of the black bars? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-15-2012, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Today I painted my theater black and was thinking that I would not be able to see the black bars on the wall, but I can. I am using a lumagen radiance vp to have a cih setup and my projector is an Epson 5020ub. What are you guys using to cover up or get rid of the black bars? Will some type of fabric on the walls make them not visible? Also, if fabric is the way to go......how do you apply it to look seamless? Thanks in advance.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-16-2012, 02:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Before I got my Isco lens I used to zoom and my screen wall is painted dark brown. The top of my screen has a bigger black border that helped hide the light from the black bars and at the bottom of my screen I added a 6" wide panel of black self adhesive velvet with a thin piece of hardboard behind it to keep it flat. This also helped with subtitles as it was still possible to read the white text against the black velvet. I did notice that as I progressed from a Panasonic AE2000 then 3000 to the JVC HD350 that the black bar overspill became less and less visible where it hit the brown painted part of the screen wall, so some of the issue is down to having better contrast.

Of course the best solution I've found is to use a lens, so there is no overspill at all. I will now be able to paint my screen wall a lighter colour without it impacting on picture quality (it's our living room) so long as it looks dark with the lights off. Then I might get 'permission' wink.gif to paint the other walls a little darker which will impact on picture quality.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #3 of 6 Old 12-16-2012, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Black is described as the absence of the visible light. The truth is, any lamp driven projector is a source of visible light, so even with the best tech, black is still visible. Velvet is probably your best light sponge. The only way to truly rid the black bars is to reshape the light sent to the screen and the the only way to do that is to use an anamorphic lens.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #4 of 6 Old 12-16-2012, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have been looking at anamorphic lenses all morning and there is no way my wife will let me spend that much since we just bout this house and a new projector and screen. I want one really bad and I wish there was a cheaper solution with the A-lens. Also, I had the projector on living room mode and turned it to cinema and that helped out a lot. I am going to look into the black velvet and see how much that improves it and maybe someday the boss will approve the a-lens. Thanks Kelvin and CAVX for the input. Cavx, when I was searching these threads I noticed you have posted in a lot of the anamorphic lens sections. Glad you posted in mine to help me out.

- Leon Phelps
post #5 of 6 Old 12-16-2012, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
For sure lenses aren't cheap (and IMHO the cheap ones aren't worth looking at) though you might find a deal on a used one someday as I did, just keep your eyes open. In the meantime the velvet will still help with the overspill. IMHO having a properly framed image helps so much with the overall effect, which having the velvet around a 2.35:1 screen will do.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #6 of 6 Old 12-16-2012, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

ok great! My screen will not be here for another few weeks so maybe this is why I was seeing it stand out more than I wanted it to. I also ordered a yard of fabric to test with. If none of this looks like I want it to I will by an A-lens probably sooner then I am given permission to haha.

- Leon Phelps
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page