I think I wanna play in this pond... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-15-2013, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ok some background, I "created" my HT space in my LR which is part of a Great room which also includes the dining & kitchen space last year about this time.

I did a LOT of research and decided against projectors because I like to do things "right" and I didn't want to bat cave my LR.

I ended up with a Mits 82840 w/ the clear contrast screen which is very nice but I had no idea how many movies are scope movies and I no longer want to see letter boxing.

I was also single at the time and now that I am re-married my Wife has MAJOR issues with RBE. Of course I am under budget constraints(4 kids collectively) I will have to do this via zooming for now.

The width of my space is 102" which is between a slider and a 5'x6' window that already has blackout curtains and will be getting complete light blocking on the half side that is nearest the screen.

I only watch movies and 95%+ are Blu-Ray as well. My interest is only in 2D.

My thoughts so far is to get a 100" Elunevision reference screen in 2.35 and its 5" velvet borders will just soak up the letterbox bars. Screen link

I have a OPPO 93 and am thinking about the darblet as well.

For PJ's I was thinking a used Panny 4000 or a Panny 7000 for a decent price and lens memory and LCD so no RBE for the Wife.

The PJ will be throwing from about 11' back and about 2' down from my 8' ceiling. I plan to do a 2' iron pipe drop to keep the projector securely mounted to a 3/4" piece of plywood spanning two trusses in the attic. I have 2 SubM's(5500cf) so I need a secure mount.

My viewing eye height is 39" so that puts the top of the screen about 31" from the ceiling following the 1/3 below 2/3 above rule I read about here.

My hope is that distance from the ceiling and the PJ being "lower" than typical will help with reflection from my flat white ceiling.

So if you are still with me, am I on a good course or where do I need corrections?

Travis

Travis

XT32 rocks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-15-2013, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 43
for starters, when you get a projector, yo cannot go wrong with the Darbee IMO.
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page