2.35:1 with Sony HW50 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 02-21-2013, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

I just purchased a Sony HW50 projector and an really torn on what screen to get. I really want the 2.35:1 as 99% of the viewing will be movies. I was told not to consider the 2.35:1 becuase the Sony does not have lens memory. If most of my watching is movies, and I get a masking system for the occasional 16x9 will I be safe?? Do you guys see any flaws in my plan???

-thanks much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-21-2013, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 44
If you want Scope because that is the majority of you watch, then go Scope.
Sure start with zooming as you can always add an A-Lens later if required.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #3 of 23 Old 02-22-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 62
The Sony does not have lens MEMORY, but it does have lens zoom. You just need to manually adjust each time using your own skills smile.gif

An anamorphic lens would work great with an HW50, as it has the necessary scaling modes.
DrZaus likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Industry Consultant

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out my new movie!:
post #4 of 23 Old 03-19-2013, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys/gals, I wanted to know will I run into any issues using the Da-Lite High Power 166" 235:1 with the Cinevista lens with the Sony HW50ES?
post #5 of 23 Old 03-20-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I know someone in the UK who has bought an Isco II lens to go with his VW50ES after borrowing mine to try it out. He seems very pleased with it and he has (I think) a 4 metre wide 2.35:1 screen which is painted drywall. Search on AVF for 'Jagdeepp' to see his setup.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #6 of 23 Old 03-20-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZaus View Post

Hey guys/gals, I wanted to know will I run into any issues using the Da-Lite High Power 166" 235:1 with the Cinevista lens with the Sony HW50ES?

No issues unless you fall outside the throw ratio and distance guidelines for the CineVista itself. As discussed above the HW50 has all the necessary processing to make the CineVista look its best.

Check out my new movie!:
post #7 of 23 Old 03-25-2013, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZaus View Post

I actually recently reviewed that hardware setup, though with a 122" Screen Innovations screen instead of the Da-Lite. 166" is getting pretty large, but the Sony is very bright, and even in high power mode it is exceptionally quiet. Anyway you can read the whole thing here http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/video-accessories-misc/video-accessories-misc/affordable-anamorphic-system.html and see if that answers your questions.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity,

Displays Editor,

Contributor,
and

ISF Level II Certified Calibrator,
post #8 of 23 Old 04-02-2013, 06:08 PM

If you watch 99% movies, then it may not be worth spending the extra on a lens just so you can swap between aspect ratios faster.

Obviously, some movies will be in other ratios like 1.85 and 1.78.

I would just buy the screen first and see how it goes manually going between the ratios. Take it from there.

You might not even need masking...see how you feel about the side black bars, which will be fairly black given no light will be projected on them, considering the projector is 16:9 natively.
post #9 of 23 Old 06-14-2013, 01:08 AM

This combination is great. Ill post photos of my setup next week when it gets installed.
The 50es has a v-stretch aspect mode for 2.35 movies and a squeeze aspect mode for viewing 1.78 or 1.85 content. No need to manually zoom everytime. Just press the aspect button.
my setup is a 50es with a prismasonic lens and a 2.35 110" black diamond screen.
post #10 of 23 Old 06-17-2013, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Here's a nice little review of the Sony mentioned here and the DC-1.
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/video-accessories-misc/video-accessories-misc/affordable-anamorphic-system.html

<Multi sub Thread

< Garage Audio !!!
post #11 of 23 Old 06-19-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schuermann View Post

No issues unless you fall outside the throw ratio and distance guidelines for the CineVista itself. As discussed above the HW50 has all the necessary processing to make the CineVista look its best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit View Post

I actually recently reviewed that hardware setup, though with a 122" Screen Innovations screen instead of the Da-Lite. 166" is getting pretty large, but the Sony is very bright, and even in high power mode it is exceptionally quiet. Anyway you can read the whole thing here http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/video-accessories-misc/video-accessories-misc/affordable-anamorphic-system.html and see if that answers your questions.

The problem is going to be the pincushion. Mount far enough back so that you do not have excessive pincushion, you are out of the focus range for that lens. Mount in the focus range and then you have a lot of pincushion.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #12 of 23 Old 02-25-2014, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnj1987 View Post

This combination is great. Ill post photos of my setup next week when it gets installed.
The 50es has a v-stretch aspect mode for 2.35 movies and a squeeze aspect mode for viewing 1.78 or 1.85 content. No need to manually zoom everytime. Just press the aspect button.
my setup is a 50es with a prismasonic lens and a 2.35 110" black diamond screen.

I apologize for my ignorance in this area. I'm trying to make the 16:9 vs 2.35 decision. I haven't bought a projector yet but will likely get a Sony. With the v-stretch and squeeze modes, do you still need the prismasonic lens? Since most movies are in 2.35, I'm trying to grasp why all the projectors are 16:9. Its hard to believe that they aren't providing an "easy" solution. 

post #13 of 23 Old 02-27-2014, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans828 View Post

I apologize for my ignorance in this area. I'm trying to make the 16:9 vs 2.35 decision. I haven't bought a projector yet but will likely get a Sony. With the v-stretch and squeeze modes, do you still need the prismasonic lens? Since most movies are in 2.35, I'm trying to grasp why all the projectors are 16:9. Its hard to believe that they aren't providing an "easy" solution. 

Most of them are providing an "easy" solution. It's called lens memory, but unfortunately the only projectors that can take advantage of such a technology need motorized lens control. Unfortunately this Sony model doesn't offer a motorized lens. Take a look at JVC's base model and you'll get your "easy" solution.

The squeeze mode is for use when you don't have a motorized anamorphic lens setup and need to display 1.78:1 material through an anamorphic lens. It will scale the image to get the proper geometry. The v-stretch is to scale the image 1.33x vertically so that when the image is sent through the anamorphic lens it has the correct geometry on screen.
Romans828 likes this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

post #14 of 23 Old 02-28-2014, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Most of them are providing an "easy" solution. It's called lens memory, but unfortunately the only projectors that can take advantage of such a technology need motorized lens control. Unfortunately this Sony model doesn't offer a motorized lens. Take a look at JVC's base model and you'll get your "easy" solution.

The squeeze mode is for use when you don't have a motorized anamorphic lens setup and need to display 1.78:1 material through an anamorphic lens. It will scale the image to get the proper geometry. The v-stretch is to scale the image 1.33x vertically so that when the image is sent through the anamorphic lens it has the correct geometry on screen.

Thanks Dylan. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. I haven't been looking at JVC...but maybe should start.

post #15 of 23 Old 03-03-2014, 09:29 AM

I recently had a lot of these concerns when trying to decide what projector to buy. I knew I wanted to run a CIH setup so after reading a few threads I was convinced I needed to have lens memory as my budget didn't allow for an anamorphic lens. Long story short, I decided to give the Epson 5030 a shot (it does NOT have lens memory). In my price range my only options for lens memory would have been the Panasonic 8000 or one of the entry level JVC models. Horror stories about customer support scared me away from the Panny and I was concerned that the JVC may not have enough light output since there is ambient light in my space. It takes me ~30 sec. to manually zoom, lens shift and refocus for my setup - in other words, no big deal.
post #16 of 23 Old 03-15-2014, 02:19 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14

Popped open my sony VPL-HW50ES for the first time tonight and experimented with manually zooming between aspect ratio to get proper screen sizes for movies. Gotta say a huge thanks to Craig here at avs for saving me $1500+! This projector is breathtaking, my goodness. 

post #17 of 23 Old 03-17-2014, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I tried out my first 3D movie since installing my panamorph cinevista lens last night on my HW50ES. Anybody watching 3D with this projector and scope lens? I realized last night that you can not do "verticle stretch" or "squeeze" when displaying 3D with this projector (keep in mind that the cinevista is not designed to be slid out of the way when viewing 16:9, and is considered fixed). I'm at a loss on what I should be doing when watching 3D? The only solution I can think of, although I have not tried it yet, is to manually slide the lense over on the hinges and do a manual zoom w/o the lens, defeating the purpose of the scope lens in the first place. I don't believe I will be watching a lot of 3D, but really bummed out that it will be very manual after sinking in all the cash for a lens, etc.

Am I a candidate for a lumagen mini 3d? I would consider ditching the cinevista if I do this. If I did, any compromises that I would be making by doing so? Thoughts on other solutions?

post #18 of 23 Old 03-17-2014, 03:15 PM

I didn't think that 3D with a lens would be an issue. Are anamorphic lenses not compatible with 3D?

post #19 of 23 Old 03-17-2014, 04:34 PM

They are but this projector is unable to apply "vertical a stretch" and "squeeze" when processing 3d. Those options are available for 2d, but skips over them when pressing the aspect button on the projector remote when a 3d video is displayed. I guess the Epson 6020 does not have this issue.

post #20 of 23 Old 03-18-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Confirmed - the Sony 50ES does not vertically stretch 3D content. JVC and Epson do.

The Lumagen Mini will handle the vertical stretch. So will an Oppo 3D Blu-ray player (although I understand that the Oppo does not like certain titles).

Check out my new movie!:
post #21 of 23 Old 03-18-2014, 11:48 AM

Thanks John. I found another thread that I replied to regarding scaling through the Oppo player with a 3D movie ripped into a MKV container.

post #22 of 23 Old 03-18-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schuermann View Post

Confirmed - the Sony 50ES does not vertically stretch 3D content. JVC and Epson do.

The Lumagen Mini will handle the vertical stretch. So will an Oppo 3D Blu-ray player (although I understand that the Oppo does not like certain titles).

Wow....great information to know before making a purchase! :) Maybe Sony will address this in the next mid-range 2014-15 model. 

post #23 of 23 Old 03-18-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

We are working on it smile.gif

BTW, the Sony 4K units will vertically stretch 3D 1080P. No one can vertically stretch 4K native material yet, though.

Check out my new movie!:
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page