Difference UH380 and UH480 (and other alternatives) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-26-2013, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I am relatively new to the CIH field as I am always zooming to the right frame having an JVC X30(RS45) and a 21:9 scrre. WIth lens memory this is happening with the press of a button. Now I saw that the UH380 is being sold for a reasonable price and I was wondering if it would be still good to buy the UH380. As a layman I would think it is just prisms so there wouldn't be too much of difference between the UH380 and 480 but i can be completely wrong! Also what other alternatives would there be on the market. I don't really want to spend too much money as I mentioned above the 0$ solution of zooming in works also quite good for me so far!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-26-2013, 01:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 47
As far as I know, the 480 has improved optic coatings over the 380. The prisms of the 480 should be the same as those used in the 380.

As for zooming over the use of an A-Lens -

A-Lens allows 1920 x 1080 pixels to be be used or over 2M pixels on screen to make up your image.
Zooming uses 1920 x 810 pixels or about 1.5M pixels on screen. These pixels are also 33% taller than the pixels of the same 1080 projector using an A-Lens.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #3 of 3 Old 02-26-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by westmd View Post

I am relatively new to the CIH field as I am always zooming to the right frame having an JVC X30(RS45) and a 21:9 scrre. WIth lens memory this is happening with the press of a button. Now I saw that the UH380 is being sold for a reasonable price and I was wondering if it would be still good to buy the UH380. As a layman I would think it is just prisms so there wouldn't be too much of difference between the UH380 and 480 but i can be completely wrong! Also what other alternatives would there be on the market. I don't really want to spend too much money as I mentioned above the 0$ solution of zooming in works also quite good for me so far!

The 480 has improved coatings plus the optical path was re-engineered over the 380 to eliminate any retro-reflections from JVC projectors. This was done relating to the original JVC RS1 and RS2. We have not tested a 380 with one of the newer JVC designs so we do not know if the retro-reflection issue would still apply.

As I go to pains to point out, Panamorph lens systems are cylindrical / prism hybrids, not straight prism designs smile.gif

John Schuermann, Filmmaker / Film Composer
Home Theater Industry Consultant
JS Music and Sound
Panamorph
Check out my new movie!: www.stephensonmovie.com
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page