Potential setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-10-2013, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone done a CIH setup with a JVC projector around 130wide 2.35 setup? Any issues? Also I plan on mounting the projector above the top of the screen and utilizing the lense shift memory... Any one had any issues? PJ will be 16 feet back so math should all work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-10-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I think Kelvin1965s has a similar set up to yours, so have a look for some of his posts here and on the UK avforums.

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-10-2013, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Gary is right: I have a similar set up, not quite as wide as yours and a longer throw too, which might make a bit of difference.

I have an X35, Isco II lens and a 112" wide 2.35:1 tab tensioned electric screen. Throw distance is about 19' and viewing distance about 11-12'. Very little pincushion to speak of due to the long throw (projector is at minimum zoom for lens use.

I make use of the lens memory function too since my Isco II isn't a true CIH lens as it slightly magnifies the image height when in place. I have saved the in lens setting as 2.35:1 and also a 1.85:1 setting which slightly zooms the non lens image so it saves too much fiddling about if I change discs and there is an aspect ratio change: I leave the lens in place for menus and trailers on a 2.35:1 film, but remove it if the film is 1.85:1/1.78:1.

I've seen three JVC X55s and one other X35 apart from my own: IMHO my X35 looks sharper than the zoomed X55s/X35 I've seen which I think is very much down to me using no zoom in the projector for 2.35:1 (and only a touch of zoom for 1.85:1). You need a decent lens to achieve this so don't run away with the idea that any lens will give the same result as I get.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #4 of 10 Old 03-10-2013, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patela2oh View Post

Has anyone done a CIH setup with a JVC projector around 130wide 2.35 setup? Any issues? Also I plan on mounting the projector above the top of the screen and utilizing the lense shift memory... Any one had any issues? PJ will be 16 feet back so math should all work

Are you intending to zoom or use an A-lens? If I am not mistaken, the projector lens has to be within the frame of the screen to work. The new JVCs have simplified CIH with a lens as both Scaling modes are now accessible from the same part of the menu.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #5 of 10 Old 03-10-2013, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

My plan was to just use the lense the projector comes with and utilize the zoom instead of a extra lense on a sled. I talked to jvc and they assured me the projector memorizes vshift and h shift as part of its 5 lens settings.

I thought the goal was to have the projector as close to the screen as possible to increase brightness is that not the case?
post #6 of 10 Old 03-11-2013, 06:11 AM

Liked: 14
I use a 128" cinemascope screen with my JVC RS-60.
Using the zoom I have a bit of spillage on the top and bottom of my screen and the sides I might have 2"of black bar.
Besides the black velvet covering the frame(Stewart firehawk G-3)I have acoustic panels above and below my screen so it's almost non noticable.
The projector is ceiling mounted(THX to GetGrey)and shoots closer to the top of the screen I believe.
Projector lens center is 10" down from ceiling and the top of the screen frame is 8.5"from the ceiling.
Works great,i'm hoping to do the Anamorphic lens with sled to pretty soon as there seems to be a lot of advantages.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-11-2013, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

So brightness isn't and issue? 3d ok? Thank you so much drummer. I want to add a sled at somepoint but wanted to be able to use screen and setup from day zero
post #8 of 10 Old 03-11-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:

My plan was to just use the lense the projector comes with and utilize the zoom instead of a extra lense on a sled. I talked to jvc and they assured me the projector memorizes vshift and h shift as part of its 5 lens settings.

I thought the goal was to have the projector as close to the screen as possible to increase brightness is that not the case?

Not sure if you read my post, but I'm not a fan of having the projector as close to the screen as possible. So long as the screen isn't huge (or has negative gain) then I prefer to have a long throw which maximises contrast, it also helps the A-Lens to work to it's best advantage since it will minimise pincushion such that a curved screen isn't necessary (it probably will be at minimum zoom distance). I can hit my target fL of 15-16fL in 2.35:1 mode with my X35 in low lamp, minimum zoom and the aperture set to -8/-9 so I have plenty in hand for lamp dimming (though it's barely dimmed from new and I'm at 150 hours now). FWIW for the same fL in non lens 1.85:1 viewing I have to close the aperture down to minimum at -15, so my modest 1.5 gain screen helps, but I've no need (or desire) to move my projector closer.

Each to their own though. smile.gif

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #9 of 10 Old 03-11-2013, 06:59 PM

Liked: 14
Should add that the projector is around 15' to 16' away
Brightness seems great as far as I can tell and have had it for a while(been concerned)hearing of short life in some bulbs and drastic dimming after a few hundred hrs.
I enjoy the 2D so much I haven't even checked the 3D yet and its been months,Glasses are still in unopened boxes as remitter also LOL.
I'll add my wall are a carmel brown and the ceiling(drop)I did in Behr Midnight sky ,real nice for the ceiling and no glare off the screen to ceiling(nice and dark in this cave.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-12-2013, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:

So brightness isn't and issue? 3d ok? Thank you so much drummer. I want to add a sled at somepoint but wanted to be able to use screen and setup from day zero

Given you have said that at some point you want to add an A-Lens/sled, then set the projector up now at a decent throw like 2.1:1 so you don't have to move it back later on. Your image won't be "dull" as some might have you believe. Start with JVCs zoom and upgrade later smile.gif

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page