Projector for 2.35:1, 130 " wide screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-14-2013, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking at a Seymour AT screen 130" wide. They publish 1.3 gain but tests show in the 1.0 gain range.

I am thinking of using a lens but would also be OK wth zoom and shift for time being. The key thing is I want shift, zoom presets to toggle easily between 16:9 and 2.35:1.

My concern is adequate light output. I am constantly reading of people with large screens who seem that they had to sacrifice image brightness but they are OK with that. I now do 2D only but that could change someday.

My dealer talked about using JVC DLA X55R, but I am concerned about ability to light up a screen this size. I had thought abotu Epson 6020 but manual zoom, focus, and shift make this a bit less desirable.

Does anyone have projector suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-14-2013, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The JVC should light that screen quite well even with their auto zoom mode. I've taken measurements after 6500K calibrations on screens larger than you want to use and they still get 10~12FL. The question is how bright are you expecting this to be? I am currently running 16FL off my system (smaller screen BTW and DLP) and might even reduce it slightly. Yes bright can be nice, but if you are in a light controlled environment, you don't need to be cooking your retinas either.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #3 of 4 Old 03-14-2013, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

The JVC should light that screen quite well even with their auto zoom mode. I've taken measurements after 6500K calibrations on screens larger than you want to use and they still get 10~12FL. The question is how bright are you expecting this to be? I am currently running 16FL off my system (smaller screen BTW and DLP) and might even reduce it slightly. Yes bright can be nice, but if you are in a light controlled environment, you don't need to be cooking your retinas either.

I'm in in a similar boat (or nearly). I will soon be building a house with a dedicated home theater room.

I'll probably go with an X75, 132" wide 2.35, but with an AT screen.

I'll use an anamorphic lens, but am not sure it's bright enough to go with something other than a Stewart 130.
Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
post #4 of 4 Old 03-15-2013, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am using a 125" wide Seymour AT centerstage XD with BenQ W7000 + ISCO4XL + darbee. Not the best black levels I admit but brightness is "just right" after greyscale calibration.

I looked hard at the JVCs but the reports of the bulbs dimming (RS-45s) scared me off. I also have OCD when it comes to sharpness and the JVC that I demoed (RS35) , while having nice black levels, was not sharp enough for my liking. I want to say that if you want to get adequate brightness at 130" wide, you may need to run the JVC in high lamp mode but then you might have higher fan noise. JVC owners can chime in.
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page