DIY 120" CIH Spandex screen with a JVC RS45 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-15-2013, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am very interested in doing a spandex screen in my home theater. I am interested in it for an AT screen, but want to make sure I will have enough gain, contrast, and brightness. my room is 18x12x7'7". It is completely light controlled dedicated basement theater room. The room is pre-wired for up to 7.4 sound and will have a seating distance of around 13-15 feet depending on how I end up doing my seating. I am neither a video or audiophile, but would like to have the best set up possible. I have read a lot of the posts about spandex and using white over silver or vice versa with moleskin or milliskin combinations. Here are some screen shots of my projector calculations and wanted some opinions on screen size, projector, throw distance, etc. I do not care about 3D at all. If 3D is possible great, but I care about deep blacks and vibrant colors on an amazing 2.40:1 2D Bluray. I am leaning towards the JVC RS45 for my projector but that isn't set in stone. Need zoom memory for CIH screen and the JVC is known for its excellent black levels.

Worst case I fork over hundreds of extra dollars on a Seymour screen or something.

2.35:1 calculations with the JVC RS45 for my set up

16:9 calculations with the JVC RS45 for my set up

There is no such thing as death. Life is but a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-16-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Love the JVC projectors. The only other projector I know of with auto-zoom in the approximate price range is the Panasonic, but the JVC would outperform it handily in terms of black level.

When you say totally light controlled, do you mean that the walls and ceiling are painted a very dark color? That will also have a pretty drastic effect on your black levels / contrast.

Your seating distance and proposed screen size should be fine for that projector. I am seated about the same distance from a 144" Stewart StudioTek 130, so you could go larger if you want. However, I would be concerned about the screen gain if you do. I have no idea what gain spandex has, and I know that most AT screens are going to hover around 1.0 effective gain. For that reason, sticking to your proposed 120" size might be the safest idea, especially if you are going the zoom route where brightness is at a premium.

If you are going to eventually add an anamorphic lens, putting your throw at about 14 - 16 ft for that size screen and room should minimize pincushion.

John Schuermann, Filmmaker / Film Composer
Home Theater Industry Consultant
JS Music and Sound
Panamorph
Check out my new movie!: www.stephensonmovie.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat