How high should the screen be from the floor? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-19-2013, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am just planning my first CIH home theater and am wondering how high from the floor should be bottom of my 96 inch Scope screen be.
The reason is that I am looking at using a Martin Logan Motion 20 speaker as the centre and not the usual horizontal type such as the Motion 30. I think 3 vertical dispersion speakers at the front would be the best for music as well as movies. The throw will be about 16.5 feet.
Will 36 inches -the height of the M20- be to high?
Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-20-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hunter View Post

I am just planning my first CIH home theater and am wondering how high from the floor should be bottom of my 96 inch Scope screen be.
The reason is that I am looking at using a Martin Logan Motion 20 speaker as the centre and not the usual horizontal type such as the Motion 30. I think 3 vertical dispersion speakers at the front would be the best for music as well as movies. The throw will be about 16.5 feet.
Thanks guys.

Most people feel most comfortable with their eyes hitting about 1/3 to halfway up from the bottom of the screen. Much of this is preference. I personally do not like having to look "up" at the image, but lots of people with flat panels mounted above fireplaces must feel differently wink.gif

John Schuermann, Filmmaker / Film Composer
Home Theater Industry Consultant
JS Music and Sound
Panamorph
Check out my new movie!: www.stephensonmovie.com
post #3 of 5 Old 03-20-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hunter View Post

Thanks guys.

Will the screen be AT or solid? If it is AT, you optimize both the height of the screen and the height of the speakers. If it is not, then you need to decide which part is more important.

I agree with John in that you ideally want to be sitting so you eye line is about between 1/3rd and half way up the screen.
36" is about 915mm. Probably a little high for my liking, but will be OK. If you build a riser, you can always aim the speakers up slightly. And yes, three (identical?) vertical LCRs will always be better than an add on horizontal centre IMO.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #4 of 5 Old 03-20-2013, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for that guys. Very helpful.It will be a solid screen.
I thought about a riser, which once very thing is set up in a few months, I will use if it doesn't work out.
Will go with the M 20.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-20-2013, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I try to aim for at lest the centre of the screen inline with the eyes, but this is impossible if you have risers. I have three rows of four seats (on risers), I have aimed my centre row the optimum one with the eyes on the centre of the screen. The front row you have to look up a bit and the back row you look down a bit to the screen. In fact all look good, but I would always aim for the key seats to have the best in the room for audio and video.
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page