panasonic 8000 lens? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-21-2013, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 26
"Because many Blu-ray movies come in a 2.35:1 aspect ratio, which is wider than the projector’s 16:9 aspect ratio, Panasonic’s Intelligent Lens Memory automatically detects and switches the lens and focus position".
Above quote from Panasonics website.

This is my first Panasonic 800U projector so Im new at this. I have a 130" AT screen 2:37. If I want to project a 2:35 movie do I still need to purchase an additional lens or does the projector lens automatically do this? If I need a lens what type do I need to purchase? anamorphic, panamorphic?

Thanks for the help

QSC 2150 for HT
DIY Tempest
DIY Ultimax Sub's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-22-2013, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
nothing else is needed. Once you set up lens memories, the projector will do the rest.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-22-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 68
The Panasonic 8000 works by zooming the 2.35:1 portion of the letterboxed image in so that it fills your 2.35:1 (2.37:1) screen. The black bars are not gone, they are actually just projected onto your wall above and below your screen. Depending on your installation, these may be more or less visible. Some deal with this by putting black velvet above and below the screen, others do not find it objectionable and simply ignore it. DVD / Blu-ray menus will be projected onto the wall, however.

No, you do not need a lens for 2.35:1 unless your particular installation limits the lens shift / zoom capabilities of the projector to the extent that it is not physically capable of filling the screen properly in auto-zoom mode.

FYI anamorphic is the proper term, panamorphic is probably derived from "Panamorph," who is simply a manufacturer of anamorphic lenses (a company I also consult for, in the interest of full disclosure). Adding an anamorphic lens results in being able to use the full projector resolution and brightness for 2.35:1 content (1920 x 1080 pixels, vs. 1920 x 810 typically for zoom) and actually eliminates the black bars rather than projecting them onto the wall. The practical benefit of using a lens is a brighter image with greater pixel density compared to zooming, plus the actual elimination of the black bars. On the negative side, using a lens means that you lose the 1:1 pixel mapping of the letterboxed image.

Many people start out with zoom and eventually end up adding a lens at a later point to boost picture brightness and eliminate the bars. Others find that the zoom method is perfectly adequate and some actually prefer it.

John Schuermann, Filmmaker / Film Composer
Home Theater Industry Consultant
JS Music and Sound
Panamorph
Check out my new movie!: www.stephensonmovie.com
post #4 of 4 Old 03-22-2013, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Sounds great.. Thank you both very much for your detailed explanation. Time to enjoy my new projector with 2D and 3D movies biggrin.gif

QSC 2150 for HT
DIY Tempest
DIY Ultimax Sub's
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page