Is 2.35:1 film true to the aspect ratio? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-01-2013, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a 16X9 screen with Marquee 8500. Thinking of replaceing with a current front projection system with anamorphic len. One thing I don't understand is , right now when I am playing a movie with a 2.4 :1 aspect ratio on my 96" x 54" , when I measure the actual picture size, it is 96"X 44". That not a 2.4 :1 aspect ratio, come out! Thanks for any thoughts in advance!

Alex:)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-01-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmond5 View Post

I have a 16X9 screen with Marquee 8500. Thinking of replaceing with a current front projection system with anamorphic len. One thing I don't understand is , right now when I am playing a movie with a 2.4 :1 aspect ratio on my 96" x 54" , when I measure the actual picture size, it is 96"X 44". That not a 2.4 :1 aspect ratio, come out! Thanks for any thoughts in advance!

Are you sure that your projector is level and aiming squarely at the center of the screen? It sounds like your picture geometry is off.

"Scope" movies are composed to be projected at an aspect ratio of 2.40:1. When these movies come to home video, you may find some minor variance as to whether they're transferred at precisely 2.40:1 or 2.35:1, but if the picture you're getting is only 2.18:1, something is wrong in your display chain.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #3 of 4 Old 04-01-2013, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmond5 View Post

Alex:)

Sounds like the film is actually 2.20:1. Does it happen to be PATTON, 2001 or THE SOUND OF MUSIC? These films were shot on 70mm, which actually has a 2.20:1 aspect ratio. There are plenty of others, these three just happened to pop into my mind.

Some films are 2.35:1, some are 2.40:1, some are in-between. Most films since the mid-1970s were framed for the 2.40:1 aspect ratio, but that is not always how they end up on video. Sometimes the director or DP will modify the aspect ratio during the film to video transfer process. There are also other aspect ratios, like the 2.20:1 I mentioned above. You can also run across ratios like 2.76:1 (Ben-Hur, It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World) or 2.89:1 (How the West Was Won). The vast majority of Ultra Wide films, though, fall between the 2.35:1 and 2.40:1 aspect ratio, and that is what most home anamorphic lens systems set out to recreate.

Keep in mind that often the product packaging is incorrect when stating the film aspect ratio. Don't count on it to be exact, as there is confusion even within the industry.

Lots of info on that stuff here:

http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/

John Schuermann, Filmmaker / Film Composer
Home Theater Industry Consultant
JS Music and Sound
Panamorph
Check out my new movie!: www.stephensonmovie.com
post #4 of 4 Old 04-02-2013, 03:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schuermann View Post

Sounds like the film is actually 2.20:1. Does it happen to be PATTON, 2001 or THE SOUND OF MUSIC? These films were shot on 70mm, which actually has a 2.20:1 aspect ratio. There are plenty of others, these three just happened to pop into my mind./
Don't forget that gorgeous 8K scan which is BARAKA which is also 2.20:1.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page