post #31 of 51 Old 04-21-2013, 11:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam-DiVine View Post

I am going to look for either a newer old JVC (i.e., an rs2, 10, 15, etc.) and try to sell my RS1x or try to find a processor for a good price. Anyone know which older video processors have hdmi and will do the vertical stretch?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DVDO-IScan-VP50-with-Remote-Manual-/290897344250?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43bad536fa

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DVDO-EDGE-High-Definition-Video-Processor-/330910465962?pt=US_Remote_Controls&hash=item4d0bccffaa (remote doesn't work)

If you can find one of the old Lumagen HDQs or HDPs, those will work nicely as well (better than the VP50 or Duo if you get really picky). You'll need an HDMI to DVI adaptor for those, but you get a CMS and superior scaling.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 04-23-2013, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hogpilot, thanks for the heads up, but after a little more researh, I opted to replace my receiver to get the necessary vertical stretch. I currently have a Pioneer SC-25 and am moving to an Onkyo TX-NR809. I am sad to see the Pioneer go, but I will have no problem recouping the cost of the Onkyo from the sale of the Pioneer. At least this does not cost me anything. I got the whole thing set up finally over the weekend; I was waiting for the new projector mount to come. I feel like the pincushion is pretty pronounced. How much should I expect from a 108" wide 2.35:1 screen? I think the problem may be the distance between the screen and projector. Even with the projector as far back in the room as I can get it, I only have about 12' between the front of the projector and the screen. Right now, the pincushion is approx 2" on the top and bottom at the center of the screen. Another thing I am noticing is a very slight vertical rise in the image when the lens is in place. It seems to have the same amount of zoom, just offset a little higher (say approx 2"). This is pretty bothersome since it requires that I still have to move the image a little when watching 16:9 material. Any ideas on these two issues? Also, I definitely have to add some star washers to the U bracket. Moving the lens in and out a few times causes the lens to droop a bit. I don't think there is enough bite between the bracket and the knobs.

Overall, I am definitely happy with the brightness increase over zooming; but the jury is out on whether the pincushion is worth the extra lumens. On bluray sources, I don't really see a detail enhancement with the lens vs. zooming (just my opinion). For all other sources the difference is much more apparent. If I can get the pincushion a little more under control and fix the vertical offset, then I think I will be a happy camper. If not, I may consider selling everthing and purchasing a newer used JVC with the lens memory and chalk it up as an experiment.

BTW, on a separate note, the Chief mount that I needed to purchase to add the lens and sled is a beast! Way, way better than the garbage, cheap universal mount that I had been using before.
post #33 of 51 Old 04-23-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

Hogpilot, thanks for the heads up, but after a little more researh, I opted to replace my receiver to get the necessary vertical stretch. I currently have a Pioneer SC-25 and am moving to an Onkyo TX-NR809. I am sad to see the Pioneer go, but I will have no problem recouping the cost of the Onkyo from the sale of the Pioneer. At least this does not cost me anything. I got the whole thing set up finally over the weekend; I was waiting for the new projector mount to come. I feel like the pincushion is pretty pronounced. How much should I expect from a 108" wide 2.35:1 screen? I think the problem may be the distance between the screen and projector. Even with the projector as far back in the room as I can get it, I only have about 12' between the front of the projector and the screen. Right now, the pincushion is approx 2" on the top and bottom at the center of the screen. Another thing I am noticing is a very slight vertical rise in the image when the lens is in place. It seems to have the same amount of zoom, just offset a little higher (say approx 2"). This is pretty bothersome since it requires that I still have to move the image a little when watching 16:9 material. Any ideas on these two issues? Also, I definitely have to add some star washers to the U bracket. Moving the lens in and out a few times causes the lens to droop a bit. I don't think there is enough bite between the bracket and the knobs.

Overall, I am definitely happy with the brightness increase over zooming; but the jury is out on whether the pincushion is worth the extra lumens. On bluray sources, I don't really see a detail enhancement with the lens vs. zooming (just my opinion). For all other sources the difference is much more apparent. If I can get the pincushion a little more under control and fix the vertical offset, then I think I will be a happy camper. If not, I may consider selling everthing and purchasing a newer used JVC with the lens memory and chalk it up as an experiment.

BTW, on a separate note, the Chief mount that I needed to purchase to add the lens and sled is a beast! Way, way better than the garbage, cheap universal mount that I had been using before.

You should have very minimal pincushion at that throw distance. Have you watched the install video on the Panamorph site? It shows you how to dial in the lens optimally:

http://www.panamorph.com/8-support/videos

You should be about 3X screen height back to get pincushion under control. From what you state here you have a 9' x 4' screen. 4' x 3 = 12', so you are close to ideal.

Is the projector lens centered on the screen left to right? A horizontally offset projector can cause real problems too.

My suggestion is to check your install against the video and see if that solves your issues.

John Schuermann, Filmmaker / Film Composer
Home Theater Industry Consultant
JS Music and Sound
Panamorph
Check out my new movie!: www.stephensonmovie.com
post #34 of 51 Old 04-23-2013, 03:38 PM

I did watch the video first and I think I followed it closely. I mean, with the adapter plate and the sled, there is not room for too much error. I have the lens centered in the path of the light and have tilted it to have equal pincushion on top and bottom. I double checked the projector placement when I installed the new mount and it is dead center. When I built the room, I made sure I had a ceiling joist placed along the centerline of the room. Not sure what else to do. I will take a picture of the install and the resulting pincushion a little later tonight. I know that I was surprised when I rewatched the video and saw the complete lack of pincushion. Mine is very noticeable.
post #35 of 51 Old 04-23-2013, 03:56 PM

Is it possible that I messed something up when I took the lens apart?
post #36 of 51 Old 04-23-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is it possible that I messed something up when I took the lens apart?

It is possible.

BTW, the setup you see in the video is actually mine. I am 16 ft. back from an 11' x 56" screen. 56" x 3 = 168" or 14 feet. In other words, I am back a little over the 3X screen height recommendation. The further back, the less pincushion. What you see in the video is actual pincushion from a UH480 at those distances / ratios.

Am I correct in my calculation that your screen is 4' tall?

There will be some pincushion but 2" both top and bottom (4" total) seems extreme! Have you measured that exactly?

JS Music and Sound
Panamorph
post #37 of 51 Old 04-23-2013, 05:05 PM

You are correct about the screen height. I am going down to take pictures of the problem now. I will also take measurements. What do you think I could have messed up in the lens? The only thing I did is move the thin rear flat glass up against the rear prism. They are separated by a few small pieces of electrical tape at the corners.
post #38 of 51 Old 04-24-2013, 11:42 AM

I took some pictures last night and will post them when I get home from work today. When I was aligning everything, I was using a head lamp and noticed that the rear prism was not aligned correctly inside of the case. I had previously said that I had a hard time getting the case back together after moving the rear plate. Well... it seams that the plastic ribs on the inside became deformed a little and now the prisms are not aligned vertically. I took the case back apart and was able to make it better (which improved the pincushion a bit), but I am afraid that it will never be properly aligned again inside of my existing case. Especially after seeing the movie on the panamorph site, it is apparent that I am getting a decent amount of pincushion/distortion compared to the setup on the video.

John,

I sent you a PM. Can you kindly respond with the info to get my lens "upgraded" to a new case with the blackout material on the inside? Assuming I go ahead with the upgrade, does Panamorph do any testing to check the alignment? I would really like to be able to get something approximating what I am seeing in that video.
post #39 of 51 Old 04-24-2013, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I just sent you a PM smile.gif

JS Music and Sound
Panamorph
post #40 of 51 Old 04-25-2013, 03:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Adam - what are you replacing your projector and lens with?

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

post #41 of 51 Old 04-26-2013, 07:44 AM

Not sure what I am doing. The lens is out to Panamorph to get the case upgraded and fix the misalignment of the prisms in my old case. Before I sent it out, I was watching a bluray with high levels of bass (The Man with the Iron Fists) and it was shaking the lens to the point that a lot of scenes were unwatchable. I have a SubM HP in a smallish room and I never considered the fact that it might shake the lens. This whole thing has been a comedy of errors right from the beginning. I used to have a crappy universal projector mount that had a fair amount of "play" in it. I guess the play was absorbing the vibrations from my sub. Once I got the lens and sled, I had to upgrade to a Chief mount which is obviously much more rigid. Even without the lens in place, the projector is still being visibly vibrated, but I could probably live with it. With the lens in place, the vibrations are being amplified so to speak due to the lens being located at the end of a lever arm (i.e., the U mount bracket). I don't see any effective way to dampen the vibrations enough that they would not be visible with the lens in place. So... long winded way of saying that I have no idea what I am going to do. Bottom line is I am tired of using the manual zoom method. I love the way the lens and sled works. Once it comes back from Panamorph with the new case, if I could get the vibrations under control, I would be happy. If I can not get the vibrations under control, then I am considering moving to a newer JVC with the lens memory. Considering that I am using a bulb that has approx 1800 hours on it, a new projector with a new bulb with lens memory should approximate what I am seeing with my old bulb and the lens.
post #42 of 51 Old 04-26-2013, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a Chief mount with a 480 diy manual sled. Its heavy but I don't notice any vibrations. Make sure, after locking adjustment screws at the base of the chief that, you can't tilt the projector with your hands. If you can adjust by moving whole projector with your hands then your mount is wimpy. I suggest getting a heavier duty mount. My mount that came with the epson 6020 is really a strong mount ( Chief RSMx Series RPA Elite Universal & Custom Projector Mounts with Keyed Locking), it has threads for 1 1/2 pipe and is solid. Can not move projector without loosening adjustment screws. If your beam is shaking a lot then I would side mount on the vertical beam that is holding up your ceiling crossbeam.
I too use a lot of base. I have dual Rythmik DS1200 subs.
post #43 of 51 Old 04-26-2013, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Here's a picture of my mount.
post #44 of 51 Old 04-26-2013, 09:45 AM

The mount I am using is a Chief RPA with the 1 1/2" pipe. It is very rigid; that is what is causing the problem actually. The sub is vibrating the ceiling joists which is being propagated through the mount and amplified at the lens. That side mount looks interesting. Is that an accessory from Chief?
post #45 of 51 Old 04-26-2013, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

The mount I am using is a Chief RPA with the 1 1/2" pipe. It is very rigid; that is what is causing the problem actually. The sub is vibrating the ceiling joists which is being propagated through the mount and amplified at the lens. That side mount looks interesting. Is that an accessory from Chief?

Adam,

Are you using the VERY heavy 1/8" thick steel Panamorph mounting plate to actually hold your lens with it's associated "U" bracket OR are you using the Chief PAN-2 A-Lens mounting bracket with the two plastic knurled knobs for the sliding up and down lens height adjustment? confused.gif

...Glenn smile.gif
post #46 of 51 Old 04-26-2013, 10:14 AM

Glenn,

Not sure, so to avoid confusion, here is a pic. I am also including pics of the pincushion.

post #47 of 51 Old 04-26-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Not sure what to tell you about the bass issue frown.gif

Do you have a drop ceiling? I think almost all of us mount our projectors to ceiling joists but don't have this issue. Is there something unusual about the ceiling joists?

Good luck with all of this.

JS Music and Sound
Panamorph
post #48 of 51 Old 04-26-2013, 10:54 AM

John,

Nothing unusual about the ceiling joists, just have a really competent sub in a smallish room. Also, the house is older (circa 1920's), so ceiling joists are not up to the stiffness and deflection standards of newer construction. I wonder if I could add some dampening compound to the adapter plate (something out of the car audio world like dynamat) that would help?
post #49 of 51 Old 04-26-2013, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

^^^
I am pretty positive that the mounting plate that you have there is specifically a Panamorph AK7 Attachment Plate. You would certainly have a VERY solid installation with that paricular plate and Chief mount that's for sure!

How is your sub sitting on the floor as in "is it coupled to the floor"? Is it on carpet, hard floor? Is it on regular feet or spikes?

What I am thinking is how you might be able to isolate your sub from transmitting the structural vibration! For a possible commercially available solution you might try placing the sub on a Auralex Gramma sound isolation platform if your particular sub will fit on it OR you could try putting together a similar Do It Yourself solution! The Gramma is nothing more than a carpet covered wood platform with some type of dense foam blocks as feet.

Some people swear by the Gramma for subwoofer sound improvement, as they say it tightens up the subs sound but maybe it could help with your structural vibration transmission issue!

Try to "decouple" that puppy from the structure!

The Gramma manufacturer can be seen here:
http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolation_gramma/sound_isolation_gramma.asp

You can see the detail of the Regular Gramma underside foam construction and purchase here :
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GRAMMA/

You can see the detail of the Great Gramma underside foam construction and purchase here :
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GreatGRAMMA

Also, your pincushion is really not that bad... Nothing a little overscan can't handle!

...Glenn smile.gif
post #50 of 51 Old 04-26-2013, 11:06 AM

Thanks Glenn,

I probably should have mentioned that the sub is sitting on carpet over concrete. The room is pretty tightly sealed and lined with double sheetrock layers with green glue. Once the lens comes back, I will have to experiment a bit.
post #51 of 51 Old 04-26-2013, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks Glenn,

I probably should have mentioned that the sub is sitting on carpet over concrete. The room is pretty tightly sealed and lined with double sheetrock layers with green glue. Once the lens comes back, I will have to experiment a bit.

I also have a new Panamorph UH480 with auto sled, Panamorph Attachment Plate and Chief mount that I will be setting up shortly! biggrin.gif

We will have to see if I run into a similar issue as I am going to be using (TWO) SVS PC Ultra subs in my current build and my room is about 2400 cubic feet... YIKES! tongue.gif

Good luck and of course keep us posted!

...Glenn smile.gif
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page