HTPC 3D Scaler - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-29-2013, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First off, what software are you using with your HTPC to do the scaling? Secondly does anyone know of any software that will do this with 3D content? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-30-2013, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Media Player Classic - Home Cinema works a treat for 2D. I am not sure about 3D.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #3 of 8 Old 04-30-2013, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I know I can open MPC-HC through XBMC but does anyone know a way to scale with XBMC's player (besides its hard zoom function, the remove black bars function doesnt seem to accomplish anything)?
post #4 of 8 Old 04-30-2013, 06:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

Media Player Classic - Home Cinema works a treat for 2D. I am not sure about 3D.

Last I knew, nothing but commercial players could play frame packed (Blu-ray) 3D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojuicy View Post

Thanks! I know I can open MPC-HC through XBMC but does anyone know a way to scale with XBMC's player (besides its hard zoom function, the remove black bars function doesnt seem to accomplish anything)?

"Zoom" or some variant is what you're looking for most likely. Scaling happens automatically by the video renderer, so you're not going to find a "scaler". The best renderer I know of is MadVR (with a relatively stout graphics card), but only a few programs can use it (like MPC-HC and J River Media Center).

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #5 of 8 Old 04-30-2013, 10:36 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

I know I can open MPC-HC through XBMC

Not sure I understand this.... those are two different programs.

??

Quote:

.....does anyone know a way to scale with XBMC's player (besides its hard zoom function)?

I know exactly what you mean here. One of my friends bugs me to use XBMC, and I agree it looks nicer, but it's so much more complicated than MPC-HC.
Besides the simplicity and ease of MPC-HC, you can automate the anamorphic stretch by going to View - Video Frame - Stretch to Window. Leaving it on that setting will properly display any 2.35, 2.37, 2.39, and 2.40 movie to fill the height of the screen exactly. With XBMC, as far as I know you have to go to the graphics menu and mess with those tedious zoom and pixel ratio functions each and every time. No thanks! If there is an easier way to scale with XBMC, I'd like to know too.

(A different subject altogether, but XBMC will let you play 24hz much easier than MPC-HC, so that is a big advantage for it - something I'd like to do. But the tedious scaling is still a problem).
post #6 of 8 Old 05-01-2013, 04:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DL4567 View Post

Besides the simplicity and ease of MPC-HC, you can automate the anamorphic stretch by going to View - Video Frame - Stretch to Window. Leaving it on that setting will properly display any 2.35, 2.37, 2.39, and 2.40 movie to fill the height of the screen exactly.

That will only work if you transcode all of your movies removing the black bars from the file. I would expect the same would work in XBMC, but I don't transcode my rips, I leave them all full quality so I don't know.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #7 of 8 Old 05-01-2013, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL4567 View Post

Not sure I understand this.... those are two different programs.

I just meant you can write a script to automatically open MPC-HC and close XBMC whenever you play a movie. But for now it looks like I'm stuck with taking off the anamorphic lens for 3D movies and playing them through PowerDVD.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-27-2013, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
For Scaling 3D with a 2.35 screen (pillar box on either side with 16x9 content) set a custom screen resolution to the area of your screen (height is something like 816). Set a hotkey so when the program you use to play the movie is finished switching resolutions you can press the key and it will scale it.
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page