Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 04-30-2013, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi everyone.
I am new to using an A lens. I have just received and set up my Panamorph UH480 with the auto sled paired with with a JVC RS66 and a Black Diamond 133" 2:35.1 screen. I have the following questions:

1. Do I have to engage the JVC vertical stretch mode each time I want to watch a scope movie? and turn it manually off each time I want to watch a 16x9 movie? Is there a way to have it auto engage when it detects scope and turn off when not? I thought the demo I saw at Best Buy Magnolia looked like it was automatically done as they never went into the menu's, but I might have been mistaken.

2. If the answer to #1 is no, then does it degrade a 16x9 image leaving the the lens in place with v stretch on watching it filling the entire 2:35.1 screen?

3. When my lens moves out of the projector sight, I notice that the image changes back to 16x9 as expected, but it also shifted vertically up on the the screen rather than just reducing to 16x9 in aspec. Is this normal? is there a way to fix it if not?

4. My lens and transport is mounted on my projector with the chief mount attachment. The projector is suspended by a pole by about 1.5 foot. When the sled engages and moves the lens it shakes the projector when the lens stops. Is this normal? Not sure I can make it any more of a sturdy brace. I dont think it harms anything, just bugs me for the few seconds that it shakes.

Those are all of my questions for now. Feedback would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Jim Parys

is Living the dream...

La Sirena III Theater

JVC DILA-RS95

Panamorph UH-480/ATH1 Anamorphic Lens

Stewart Ultramat 200, 120", 2.0 Gain, 16x9 Aspec Screen (Motorized)

SI Black Diamond Zero Edge G2, 144", 1.4 Gain, 2:35 Aspec)

Yamaha...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-30-2013, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Parys View Post

Hi everyone.
I am new to using an A lens. I have just received and set up my Panamorph UH480 with the auto sled paired with with a JVC RS66 and a Black Diamond 133" 2:35.1 screen. I have the following questions:

1. Do I have to engage the JVC vertical stretch mode each time I want to watch a scope movie? and turn it manually off each time I want to watch a 16x9 movie? Is there a way to have it auto engage when it detects scope and turn off when not? I thought the demo I saw at Best Buy Magnolia looked like it was automatically done as they never went into the menu's, but I might have been mistaken.

2. If the answer to #1 is no, then does it degrade a 16x9 image leaving the the lens in place with v stretch on watching it filling the entire 2:35.1 screen?

3. When my lens moves out of the projector sight, I notice that the image changes back to 16x9 as expected, but it also shifted vertically up on the the screen rather than just reducing to 16x9 in aspec. Is this normal? is there a way to fix it if not?

4. My lens and transport is mounted on my projector with the chief mount attachment. The projector is suspended by a pole by about 1.5 foot. When the sled engages and moves the lens it shakes the projector when the lens stops. Is this normal? Not sure I can make it any more of a sturdy brace. I dont think it harms anything, just bugs me for the few seconds that it shakes.

Those are all of my questions for now. Feedback would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

1. Yes, you have to engage the vertical stretch. JVC does not have an auto-detect for black bars and you probably wouldn't want to use it if it did. Auto-detecting would mean the lens would move in and out for variable aspect ratio movies (like the last two Batmans) or when letterboxed commercials come on. The good news is that you do not have to go into the menu to do the vertical stretch. There is a discrete code to turn the stretch on and off that can easily be programmed into a universal remote. Did Magnolia set you up with a universal remote? If not, do you have one? If so, you should easily be able to look up the JVC codes and program them. The projector can also be programmed to trigger the lens to move whenever you engage the stretch. Hopefully your installer has already configured this.

2. The answer to this depends on what you mean by "degrade." You can certainly watch 16:9 with V-Stretch engaged and the lens in place, but of course you lose a little of the top and bottom of the picture when you do. Some people leave the lens in place and turn off the V-Stretch. This way you don't lose any of the picture but everybody ends up looking too short and fat (horizontally stretched), just like 4:3 looks when it is stretched out to 16:9.

3. This should not happen. How far does it shift? You might check in with Panamorph tech support.

4. There is a nine pound piece of glass moving back and forth so some shaking can be expected. I experience this with my own setup. Unless your mount is loose or attached to something non-rigid it should not affect alignment. The Chief mount and the Panamorph plate are extremely strong and rigid, so any problem would be due to limitations of what everything is ultimately attached to (usually a ceiling joist).

Good luck!

John Schuermann, Filmmaker / Film Composer
Home Theater Industry Consultant
JS Music and Sound
Panamorph
Check out my new movie!: www.stephensonmovie.com
post #3 of 16 Old 05-01-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
John,
I talked with Dave at Panamorph and he said that switching the V-Stretch mode to 'off' while the lens in place should leave the correct aspect for 16:9 material. I COULD BE WRONG THOUGH. I am a newbie as well, and I'm getting my lens tomorrow (pso-u100) with the PAN-1 attachment to Chief RPA-U with a JVC-RS20.

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #4 of 16 Old 05-01-2013, 12:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

John,
I talked with Dave at Panamorph and he said that switching the V-Stretch mode to 'off' while the lens in place should leave the correct aspect for 16:9 material. I COULD BE WRONG THOUGH. I am a newbie as well, and I'm getting my lens tomorrow (pso-u100) with the PAN-1 attachment to Chief RPA-U with a JVC-RS20.

Let's take this step by step and try to follow this progression:

1) With no anamorphic lens, your projector shines a 16:9 image, 1920x1080 pixels.

2) When you add an anamorphic lens, the picture is stretched horizontally. Now the image fills your 2.35:1 screen but your picture geometry is wrong.

3) To restore the proper geometry, you need to apply the proper v-stretch (vertical stretch).

If you don't do this, your picture will remain horizontally stretched.

That's what happens when you watch a letterboxed 2.35:1 movie. Now let's look at what happens when you watch non-letterboxed 16:9 content.

First, the raw 16:9 image with no lens:

Then put the lens in place:

That's clearly wrong. And if you apply v-stretch, you'll crop off active picture from the top and bottom of the picture that was meant to be seen. In this example, you'll likely lose some of the characters' faces.

So, how do you fix it? Either you remove the lens to go back to the projector's original 16:9 output, or you use a video processor to apply a horizontal squeeze and pillarbox the image in the middle of your 2.35:1 screen, like so:

The downside to this pillarboxing is that it scales the active image down to 1440x1080, losing resolution compared to the 1920x1080 available in the source. The rest of the pixels are used to create the black pillarbox bars.

Make sense now?

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #5 of 16 Old 05-01-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

So Josh,
This all makes sense (thank you for the pics), but would I need to use a sled to move the A-lens out-to-side for proper aspect 16:9 content (with no video processor)? Can you show me a pic that shows the lens in place (using V-stretch on pj) on the same Serenty example above (with heads cut off and all)???

Terrence

post #6 of 16 Old 05-01-2013, 11:40 PM

Liked: 21
I have the same setup, but the manual sled.

If you leave the lens fixed in place, but want to watch 16x9 content, you just need to use ANAMORPHIC B mode on the JVC and that will horizontally compress the image to counteract the expansion from the lens. I prefer not to do this as I dont want the black bars that are generated on the sides to retain on the display (I am overprotective re this). It also means the resolution of the 16x9 image is reduced, but barely noticable.
post #7 of 16 Old 05-02-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:

This all makes sense (thank you for the pics), but would I need to use a sled to move the A-lens out-to-side for proper aspect 16:9 content (with no video processor)?

If the projector is ceiling mounted, yes. If the projector is shelf mounted, you can just set the lens down in front of the projector and pull it away when you don't want it.
Quote:
Can you show me a pic that shows the lens in place (using V-stretch on pj) on the same Serenty example above (with heads cut off and all)???

That would look something like this:

This particular example may not look so bad, but the degree to which it's objectionable or you lose "important" picture will vary from shot to shot. Imagine a shot that has on-screen text you're supposed to read at the very bottom or very top of the frame.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #8 of 16 Old 05-02-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

thanks you guys!
cool.gif

Terrence

post #9 of 16 Old 05-02-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

too close to screen with PSO-U100 lens? pics below...

#1. 16:9 image with bars on top and bottom

#2. V-stretch enabled filling top and bottom inside a 16:9 image.

Photo #3. U100 lens placed in front of projector, but image is too small....Projector not far back enough???? I'm already about 1.8 screen widths away from lens to screen eek.gif BTW, 115" diag 2.40:1 screen with JVC RS20....

Terrence

post #10 of 16 Old 05-02-2013, 04:31 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:

too close to screen with PSO-U100 lens? pics below...

#1. 16:9 image with bars on top and bottom

#2. V-stretch enabled filling top and bottom inside a 16:9 image.

Photo #3. U100 lens placed in front of projector, but image is too small....Projector not far back enough???? I'm already about 1.8 screen widths away from lens to screen eek.gif BTW, 115" diag 2.40:1 screen with JVC RS20....

Looks like you have a vertical compression lens, not a horizontal expansion lens.
With this one, when you engage AnamorphicA (or vertical stretch mode depending on your PJ) you need to zoom that image to fill the entire horizontal width of your screen - the image will spill above and below the screen and then the lens will compress the top and bottom so it fills your scope screen.
post #11 of 16 Old 05-02-2013, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

thanks, Mikey

Terrence

post #12 of 16 Old 05-03-2013, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 59
The PSO-U100 is an old vertical compression model (way before my time at Panamorph). It's designed to be kept in place at all times and the aspect ratio switched via scaling (anamorphic A and B with JVC).

John Schuermann, Filmmaker / Film Composer
Home Theater Industry Consultant
JS Music and Sound
Panamorph
Check out my new movie!: www.stephensonmovie.com
post #13 of 16 Old 05-03-2013, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

I just zoomed in and now have what I want (for now!).....thanks people!

Terrence

post #14 of 16 Old 05-03-2013, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

John,
thank you for the information. I found the quick access button on my old JVC remote, for some reason though its not on the RS66 remote. I also programed it into my universal remote. I have things working well now. Still may have some future questions as I work my way through this new world of Anamorphic Lens projection.

thx,
Jim

Jim Parys

is Living the dream...

La Sirena III Theater

JVC DILA-RS95

Yamaha...

post #15 of 16 Old 05-03-2013, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

okay, back again... Next question. I have an Oppo 105 in the loop for video processing of sd sources and for my blu-ray/dvd player. It is supposed to have fantastic processing. Any advice on which device to do the vertical stretch? should I use the JVC RS66 stretch mode or use the 105 stretch mode? I have read that users that have a Lumagen VP prefer to have that device do the stretch, so wondering thoughts on using the Oppo as the stretch would provide a better picture.

thx.
Jim

Jim Parys

is Living the dream...

La Sirena III Theater

JVC DILA-RS95

Yamaha...

post #16 of 16 Old 05-04-2013, 05:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 347
There is a Webinar on the 8th about A-lens use: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1471318/2-25-ultra-wide-webinar-by-panamorph-and-screen-innovations

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Tags
Panamorph Uh480 Anamorphic Lens
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page