Panamorph UH480 verse DC1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-12-2013, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can you really see a difference between these two lens? is is worth the upgrade? Thoughts appreciated.

Jim Parys is Living the dream...
La Sirena III Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-13-2013, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 62
The DC1 has several advantages over the UH480:

• Sealed optics
  • Upgraded optical coatings
  • Improved aesthetics
  • Locking tilt mechanism

In terms of picture quality, the DC1 offers improved contrast and brightness performance over the UH480. The better the quality the projector - and the more light controlled the room - the more these improvements will be visible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Industry Consultant

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out my new movie!:
post #3 of 7 Old 05-14-2013, 12:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schuermann View Post

The DC1 has several advantages over the UH480:

• Sealed optics
  • Upgraded optical coatings
  • Improved aesthetics
  • Locking tilt mechanism

In terms of picture quality, the DC1 offers improved contrast and brightness performance over the UH480. The better the quality the projector - and the more light controlled the room - the more these improvements will be visible.

John, what do you mean by sealed optics?
post #4 of 7 Old 05-14-2013, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post

John, what do you mean by sealed optics?

The DC1 is actually the only anamorphic lens on the market with sealed optics (at least, as far as we are aware of). This just means that the chassis is sealed so that no dirt and dust can get into the internal optical engine. Dirt and dust can destroy image contrast. With the DC1 you only need worry about cleaning the external lens elements.

Check out my new movie!:
post #5 of 7 Old 05-15-2013, 01:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schuermann View Post

The DC1 is actually the only anamorphic lens on the market with sealed optics (at least, as far as we are aware of). This just means that the chassis is sealed so that no dirt and dust can get into the internal optical engine. Dirt and dust can destroy image contrast. With the DC1 you only need worry about cleaning the external lens elements.

I have the 480 (though it's currently boxed up and waiting for me to get a projector and screen), so would I need to check and make sure the internal optics are clean?

Whats the best claening solution for the lens, internal or external?

And if the internal optics are dirty, is that something the end user can clean, or does it need to be sent in to be cleaned?
post #6 of 7 Old 05-15-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post

I have the 480 (though it's currently boxed up and waiting for me to get a projector and screen), so would I need to check and make sure the internal optics are clean?

Whats the best claening solution for the lens, internal or external?

And if the internal optics are dirty, is that something the end user can clean, or does it need to be sent in to be cleaned?

Use a soft, lint-free cloth and photographic lens cleaning solution. Use of other cleaning products, especially anything abrasive, may damage the special coatings on the lens and void the warranty.

The internal optics should be clean from when it left the factory. I wouldn't worry about it unless there is a pretty substantial build-up of dust over time. Then it can become an issue, but of course that often depends upon environment. If your house is pretty dust free, your lens will be too smile.gif

We strongly discourage anyone from opening the lens casing. It will void the warranty and of course you will be on your own at that point.

Check out my new movie!:
post #7 of 7 Old 05-16-2013, 05:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

I picked up a C-stock a while back so I don't think I ever had a warranty to void. Still wouldn't want to open up that case and screw something up or scratch the lens.

Thanks for the help!
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Tags
Panamorph Uh480 Anamorphic Lens
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page