Benefits to combine TV and ultra wide screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-24-2013, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This thread is to follow up on my last two posts that show how the device works.

Before I detail this DIY support for dual display purposes, I like to tell you I am not audiophile or videophile like the experts at this site. I am just an average Joe or newbie who just want to have good time and proud to acknowledge others who's unknown to this field and what I've achieved. Also the pro or armature may benefit from what I've experienced.
Through the year before I remodeled my HT , I had watched Screen Innovation Youth-tube videos and visited their sites numerous time and even signed up to their Webinar to gain their knowledge and observed their effort to enhance entertainment industries, best of all was when SI teamed up with Panamorph to demo their best gears could do with the hi-end or entry level projectors and their new lines of products. I salute to their contributions.

With all this fancy and glamorous demo, I noticed they only targeted and relied on the dealers to promote their products to the wealthy one with lots of room space at home and cash to show off. While the averages folks now are either downsizing or still living in smaller dwellings and have extra cash to spend would only can get what the dealers would offer. Unfortunately, most of them buy the big flat monitors and worst of all some end up to watch tv or movies with smart phone or tablets. No wonder, IMO recently Hollywood likes more 3D productions so the generation with handheld devices cannot get any freebies soon yet . Hollywood is taking notes as people are watching smaller and smaller screens.
As we noticed locally the big box video center or fancy boutique video stores all have separated rooms or cubicles to demo their gears. Few has mixed display but most of big box video outlet has their projector just hung there and collecting dust and the screen looked nonexistent. For those have proper projection set-up are usually 16:9 and with modern and fancy expensive audio gears. As they expect most of the customers who can afford their system can watch TV and movies all on one screen. Just when I asked what the black bars on screen and what make the ultra-wide better than 16:9, few sellers could give an reasonable answer, some even ever seen one at home yet. Mind what they know about anamorphic len can do.

Just that, it indicate me the projector and screen dealers haven't done enough PR yet and no wonder lots of customers don't know what they want and need to have better entertainment for less. My guess of the recent SI and Panamorph first ever public webinars was for one that reasons. Correct me if I'm wrong.

IMHO the consumers need more info and education so they can have the right choices.
True, it's easy to show off on line and videos on youth-tube, however without the face to face friendly advice or real time display, the public still has no clues about the benefit to enjoy bigger screen for less. Like recently, I invited a local video big box store manager to comment my DIY project, after a short presentation how and why watch videos on ultra wide screen has lot more benefits than widescreen TVs and 16:9 projection. He is so impressed that he told me he learnt more in half a day at my home than he had been in stores for many years because in store most customers care only the cost and no sale persons pay attention to their interest. He also thought I have a very new audio system and found himself so immersed when watching 3d movie with 7.1 track, in fact I told him it's the new oppo bd-103 I bought recently that gave the 12yrs. old 5.1 receiver and stereo another new beginning and best of all I can even use Oppo remote to control the force that sets off the pairs of ClarkSynthesis Platinum transducers and a pair of Silver one which I stalled in my reclining sofa. I think the OPPO dealer and users can take notes here.

The 120" 2.40:1 curved screen is homemade and bungee suspended, so as the av cabinet is recycled from an IKEA wardrobe set. Oh, the carpet is the same old one but was renewed with 3d patterns, my friends are all impressed, if any AVS members interest in how was done, please suggest me where can I post the thread. Also, the wall acoustic panels are DIY by recycling the old materials. More of the project details will be revealed.

For the benefits of dual displays : (the lists can be long so I just make a few points , I think is appropriate to the members)
a. you have choices to see your favourite videos big or small

b. your video games can be more immersive, particularly the 3d games on ultra wide
c. you can just watch News on TV or searching music favourite list while on play back without wasting the projector lamp life by showing on the big screen.

d. keep all your audio system in one place, without spending another system just for the TV, as we all know how TV built in speakers sound like.

e. We all hate that black bars on TV as we watch movie, now with a slight push the TV set will give way to the real movie screen. Or there's a solution for those who the money is no subject, 55" curved TV is coming to rid that bars
f. for the dealer, they can show the customer how to enjoy the different between an 55" TV and a 100"+ widescreen in real time, rather than tell customers move from cubicle to enclose room to justify themselves. Dealer can make more profit on projection than just selling very competitive tv sets.

g. Now 3D TV has become more popular, if you think watch 3D movies on that 50" or the new 4K TV is good ,till you see that 3d image on that 100" or 120"+ , I believe you might change your mind. As 3d images only look great and alive on widescreen. That's why IMAX is so popular.

h. By seating close and prolong watching TV has known for causing eyes health problems but watching projected images on screen can reduce that risk. So, size does matter when viewing videos
i. For someone with only one room to set up the curved ultra wide, instead to choose a fix screen or motorised drop screen, this set up may satisfy their need.

these are the few photos had been posted on the other FYI thread "How to combine TV and curved Screen" and many viewers already have the opportunity to see how it works.

Following is how the retractable TV mount was built.
note : the photos may show the project kind of crude, that's because I keep the 3R ( reduce, reuse & recycle) goal set in my mind

I use thick cardboard as a template. Best of all if you still have the old box that came with it. First, trace out all the openings and the exact location for the screws to mount the TV set .
Put the template in front of the wood panel and raise it at least 1.5" and pencil marks the area need to cut and drill. That you sure the TV set has the clearance as it stands upright.
[IMG ALT=""]
Caution: If the Tv back panel is not flat. Risk of damage to the TV set as tightening the screws .

Your comments or any suggestions are highly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-24-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
You make a number of excellent observations. First of all, your statement here is dead on:

Just that, it indicate me the projector and screen dealers haven't done enough PR yet and no wonder lots of customers don't know what they want and need to have better entertainment for less. My guess of the recent SI and Panamorph first ever public webinars was for one that reasons. Correct me if I'm wrong.

In other words, you are not wrong. We have found that most dealers are painfully unaware of what a good projection system can do. Most of the salespeople we run into at big box stores are literally scared of front projection, since they think it is way too complicated. They would rather just steer people toward a flat panel, load it into their car, and call it a day. No surprise that the store manager learned a great deal from you smile.gif

Great system, btw!
post #3 of 5 Old 05-24-2013, 09:25 PM

Liked: 10
That is a great setup. You gave me the idea to do something very similar, except I want to put my plasma behind the projector screen, and flip the acoustically transparent projector screen up into the ceiling to watch tv.
post #4 of 5 Old 05-24-2013, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesplitter View Post

That is a great setup. You gave me the idea to do something very similar, except I want to put my plasma behind the projector screen, and flip the acoustically transparent projector screen up into the ceiling to watch tv.

Yes, it's a whole lot easier to keep the flat panel in place and get a drop down screen rather than moving the flat panel out of the way, just depends on how much you really want to have a curved screen. If you are okay with a flat projection screen, then it is way easier to move the screen.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-25-2013, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 14
To genesplitter :
I'll probably do the way you plan, if it's not my room has a brick fireplace built in the corner ,that is challenging to place the main speaker. That's why I choose the curved screen and the curvature of the frame provide a little space that I can center it on the wall.
If your screen is light weight, something like this may make it look elegant.

But if it is going to be curved, let some experienced members can brainstorm an idea for you.
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page