Lens vs. PJ cost - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-14-2013, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 38
What are your thoughts on this ratio. I have seen lenses costing twice and three times the cost of the PJ......

I ask this because my last video system was a CAVX lens dual prism and a MITS 4000 projector. That combination seemed quite balanced.

I will be doing an upgrade in the coming year and with the new crop of cylindical lenses, the lens could be twice or three times the PJ...... Is this the normal ratio ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-14-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Well you have to remember that in general, lenses don't "age", you can have a lens through many projectors. Only thing I would consider now is if the lens you get will be "sufficient" for 4K. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a lens today that I know I will want to upgrade when I get a 4K projector for example.

But getting back to ratios, I don't know, that's a tough thing. Balance is always good, but at the same time if you go "cheap" on a lens you may end up wanting to upgrade if you get a better projector down the line, vs getting a "good" lens up front and being able to use it through many projectors.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #3 of 5 Old 06-18-2013, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

Well you have to remember that in general, lenses don't "age", you can have a lens through many projectors. Only thing I would consider now is if the lens you get will be "sufficient" for 4K. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a lens today that I know I will want to upgrade when I get a 4K projector for example.

But getting back to ratios, I don't know, that's a tough thing. Balance is always good, but at the same time if you go "cheap" on a lens you may end up wanting to upgrade if you get a better projector down the line, vs getting a "good" lens up front and being able to use it through many projectors.

stanger89 - Can you explain how a lens today wouldn't be sufficient for 4k tomorrow? I have a Schneider M lens that is great and am sure I'll have it for life. I'm curious what kind of lens someone would need for 4k specifically?
post #4 of 5 Old 06-18-2013, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 129
That's something I haven't really found a good answer too. On the relatively clear cut side of it, I'd say it's probably safe to say prism lenses without CA/Astigmatism correction wouldn't be a good match for a 4k projector. When you get into the higher end prism lenses like say a Panamorph UH480 or Prismasonic HD5000 it's less clear and like I said, I don't have a good answer there.

I suppose when I get a 4k projector I'll find out how my HD5000 works with it biggrin.gif

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #5 of 5 Old 06-18-2013, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Like S89 said lenses aren't cycled like FP's are. My first lens served me well for six years. I replaced that three years ago with an Isco 3 even though it was 3x the cost of my projector at the time. I'd was hoping that I would keep it indefinitely not knowing if 21x9 FP's would be adopted. Now that I've moved on to another projector, and 16x9 appears to be here for good, that's been a great purchase. It truly is a window on the source. Having viewed it on the Meridian 4K about 4-5 years back, I was sold. Yes it was a huge purchase but one I don't have to worry about replacing again. My personal opinion on this is an A-lens purchase should be in 2 steps. Buy your first one to get accustomed to it, learn how to set it up and basically see if its for you. In other words, live with it for a few years until you move to your ideal lens. So don't sweat paying 3x or more for your lens. The future product will make it worth it.
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page