Great Video about the History of Aspect Ratios - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-28-2013, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I thought by this point I knew just about everything there is to know about aspect ratios and anamorphic lenses and such, but I just found this video and it's excellent in showing you how all the ratios came to be and why there are so many. Well worth the 18-minute watch.

http://vimeo.com/68830569#
Gary Lightfoot likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I watched that last night. Great vid!

TK Doom

Unreal Tournament Forever
Project Gotham Racing too!

post #3 of 9 Old 06-29-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Good presentation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old 06-30-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Thanks smile.gif

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-30-2013, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Great video and history lesson! Much of it is very similar to the dealer trainings we do for Panamorph. As I've mentioned on this board before, it is astonishing how few people in the home theater industry have any idea what an aspect ratio is.

Home Theater Industry Consultant

Check out my new movie!:
post #6 of 9 Old 07-01-2013, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 358
I hate to say it, because I really support the attempt, but this video is riddled with omissions and inaccuracies that seem kind of careless given the extended length of the piece.

I actually wrote up a blog article that lists some of the mistakes:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/truth-about-aspect-ratios/

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #7 of 9 Old 07-01-2013, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Hey Josh - I agree with some of the points in your blog (in that I think Hess would have been wise to include some of the facts he left out), but if he had covered them all - even at 18 minutes - I think it would have been a classic case of TMI. I have been training large groups of people on this stuff for about 6 years now, and I find that even with a full hour to devote to the subject, live and in person, people get lost in trying to keep all of the different ratios and formats in their heads. And that is even after I basically distill things down to the three basic aspect ratios: 1.33:1, 1.85:1, and 2.35:1 / 2.40:1. The only extra format I talk about is Cinerama, since it is an interesting story in and of itself, and the story of the thinking behind the development of Cinerama helps "prime the pump" for talking about everything that comes after.

Remember too that the video is intended for filmmakers, not home theater enthusiasts.

I agree that he should have clarified the following from your blog post (this is based on the feedback I regularly get from audiences):

• The video states that the CinemaScope format had an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 right from its first production, 1953′s ‘The Robe‘. Actually, the first CinemaScope aspect ratio (used on ‘The Robe’ and several other movies) was 2.55:1.
  • Hess implies that all 1.85:1 movies are shot in VistaVision, which isn’t even remotely true. Subsequent “flat” widescreen movies have been shot with standard 35mm cameras and film stock in 4-perf format (which yields a ratio of 1.37:1 on the camera negative) and are matted down to 1.85:1 by projection plates in theaters. Aside from the advent of digital photography and projection, this continues to be the standard for “flat” 35mm movies to this day.
  • The video fails to explain that Panavision (which dominated the field of anamorphic photography after CinemaScope went under) adjusted the technical standard for anamorphic projection to 2.39:1 (often rounded to 2.40:1) in 1970, and it has remained there ever since.
  • The video doesn’t mention the Super 35 format at all.
  • The video doesn’t mention variable ratio movies such as ‘The Dark Knight‘ and ‘The Dark Knight Rises‘ at all.

Home Theater Industry Consultant

Check out my new movie!:
post #8 of 9 Old 07-02-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schuermann View Post

Hey Josh - I agree with some of the points in your blog (in that I think Hess would have been wise to include some of the facts he left out), but if he had covered them all - even at 18 minutes - I think it would have been a classic case of TMI. I have been training large groups of people on this stuff for about 6 years now, and I find that even with a full hour to devote to the subject, live and in person, people get lost in trying to keep all of the different ratios and formats in their heads. And that is even after I basically distill things down to the three basic aspect ratios: 1.33:1, 1.85:1, and 2.35:1 / 2.40:1. The only extra format I talk about is Cinerama, since it is an interesting story in and of itself, and the story of the thinking behind the development of Cinerama helps "prime the pump" for talking about everything that comes after.

Remember too that the video is intended for filmmakers, not home theater enthusiasts.

I think he needs to decide who his audience really is. If he's giving a simplified overview of the major ratios (4:3, 1.85:1, scope), he can cover that in 3-4 minutes. If he's giving an in-depth lecture to filmmakers, he should get more of his facts straight.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #9 of 9 Old 07-02-2013, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
Fascinating points, Josh Z. Glad I posted the link here otherwise I'd have never learned those clarifications and corrections.
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page