CineVista price increase announced and other new info for This lens - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-28-2013, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Panamorph has announced a price increase starting August 1st. for the CineVista. The MSRP for the CineVista with Universal bracket $2495 (upgrades have been made to the bracket making it easier to install)

- CineVista with NEW customs brackets $1995 – these will be coming mid/late September for SONY, Epson and JVC models. These new brackets make it extremely easy to install and give the lens a super clean install look.

- CineVista lens only with U-bracket $1795.

Call your dealer.smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-29-2013, 02:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 325
I just want to add that my experience with Panamorph has been very positive!

I couldn't afford a brand new Panamorph lens and sled system and so cobbled them together second hand. Nonetheless, the guys at Panamorph were very supportive and helpful, communicating
a lot with me as I got my system up and running. Not to mention their product seems excellent.

Rich H

post #3 of 11 Old 08-02-2013, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Wow I thought that was supposed to be an "affordable" lens system. Well, they just priced me out. Back to looking for UH480 on ebay for $1500ish.

post #4 of 11 Old 08-06-2013, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Sorry that the price increase has pushed you out of the CineVista market frown.gif As Panamorph stated when the lens was announced, the original price was introductory. However, a $500 increase (for the custom CineVista over the previous version) is pretty substantial for many people, so I can understand your frustration.

On the positive side, the new custom version makes for a much cleaner, easier install, and at $2K, it's still considerably cheaper than the vast majority of high quality horizontal expansion lenses on the market.

Home Theater Industry Consultant

Check out my new movie!:
post #5 of 11 Old 08-06-2013, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Ouch. I'm glad I got in before the increase.

I'm sure you guys did your market research, but one has to wonder how much a cleaner install really matters in the budget enthusiast market - surely not several hundred dollars.

I myself was sold because of the near-1k price of the bare lens and bracket, and fashioned a perfectly secure, adjustable, and dare I say good-looking fixing out of $45 in off the shelf RAM Mount components.

The new list would have priced me out of this game. Just sayin'.

- 
One of the smallest-ever (13' x 8' x 6'8") AVS builds!

-
 - This time it's 2.35 CIH in a 10' x 10' alcove!

post #6 of 11 Old 08-07-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowkarver View Post

Ouch. I'm glad I got in before the increase.

I'm sure you guys did your market research, but one has to wonder how much a cleaner install really matters in the budget enthusiast market - surely not several hundred dollars.

I myself was sold because of the near-1k price of the bare lens and bracket, and fashioned a perfectly secure, adjustable, and dare I say good-looking fixing out of $45 in off the shelf RAM Mount components.

The new list would have priced me out of this game. Just sayin'.

Understood.

The price increase has everything to do with manufacturing costs. As stated, the original price was introductory. Panamorph was barely breaking even with the initial pricing. It's simply a matter of economics, unfortunately. As soon as anamorphic becomes so popular that 10s of thousands of lenses get sold every month, then we can start strong-arming optics suppliers to supply us with better pricing, which, or course, means better pricing for you smile.gif

Check out my new movie!:
post #7 of 11 Old 08-07-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schuermann View Post

Understood.
As soon as anamorphic becomes so popular that 10s of thousands of lenses get sold every month, then we can start strong-arming optics suppliers to supply us with better pricing, which, or course, means better pricing for you smile.gif

I don't think I'd be counting on that, John. If anything, advanced projector technology incorporating memory zoom will probably make the market for lenses smaller. I bought a JVC DLA-4810 with the afore mentioned memory zoom, but still got a lens because I want to maximize PQ for both 'scope and 16:9 material. Most of us CIH guys on AVS are like that. But Joe Sixpack doesn't care. Witness the slow death of hi-rez music and even CD's now, replaced by inferior - but terribly convenient and portable - MP3's. That seems to be where the technology world is moving.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-07-2013, 08:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I don't think I'd be counting on that, John. If anything, advanced projector technology incorporating memory zoom will probably make the market for lenses smaller. I bought a JVC DLA-4810 with the afore mentioned memory zoom, but still got a lens because I want to maximize PQ for both 'scope and 16:9 material. Most of us CIH guys on AVS are like that. But Joe Sixpack doesn't care. Witness the slow death of hi-rez music and even CD's now, replaced by inferior - but terribly convenient and portable - MP3's. That seems to be where the technology world is moving.

This makes me wonder what the the companies like Panamorph, ISCO, et al, see the future of A-Lens' actually doing.

Probably more long term then short, but as 4K comes around and projectors get brighter (be it a solid state light source like Lasers or LED or whatever) and more and more FPJ's get motorized optics, do they really think they'll even have a market in the HT?

I can understand the commercial cinema keeping these things going but not the HT.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-08-2013, 05:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 636
I would imagine lenses will still be available for HT's but it will become even more of a niche market, appealing to a small but dedicated enthusiast base. And you know what happens to prices in niche markets. ^

They still press a few vinyl albums for selected artists that appeal to the niche audiophile market, but prices for those records are 6 or 7 times higher than they were in vinyl's heyday. Of course, they're much higher quality too - the market demanded it. I suspect the same thing will happen with lenses.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-08-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

We are all interested in the future, because that's where you and I will spend the rest of our lives wink.gif

As long as imaging chips in projectors remain 16:9, there will always be a market for anamorphic lenses.

It's also amazing to me how many Panamorph sales are to people who started out using the zoom method. Speaking of "Joe Six Pack," explaining to him that his DVD / Blu-ray menu is going to display onto the wall and that he can't fill his whole 2.35:1 screen with 16:9 material is a buzzkill for many when it comes to the zoom method. It's the people here who understand aspect ratios and how TV shows and movies are made that have no problem dealing with that when it comes to CIH home cinema, not Joe Six Pack. He just wants a big picture with no black bars.

It's interesting to me that *the* most frequent question SI Screens gets regarding 2.35:1 screens is, "how do I fill the full screen when watching sports and regular TV?" You can't do that with zoom. Joe Six Pack does not care about OAR, as mentioned above he cares about getting the biggest picture possible and getting rid of the black bars. Losing correct picture geometry is an acceptable casualty for the average Joe. Just think about all the people you know who fill stretch 4:3 to fill their 16:9 TVs. It's the same for 2.35:1 and the projection market.

One of the reasons Panamorph has moved to fixed lens solutions at the entry level is because our own internal research shows that most people who own lenses leave them in place all the time no matter what they are watching. They just want to fill the screen.

Check out my new movie!:
post #11 of 11 Old 08-14-2013, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Panamorph has announced a price increase starting August 1st. for the CineVista. The MSRP for the CineVista with Universal bracket $2495 (upgrades have been made to the bracket making it easier to install)

- CineVista with NEW customs brackets $1995 – these will be coming mid/late September for SONY, Epson and JVC models. These new brackets make it extremely easy to install and give the lens a super clean install look.

- CineVista lens only with U-bracket $1795.

Call your dealer.smile.gif

Great,not the price of course, a new mount. The current mount is not very easy to used. IT has to many parts. Mike do yo have any pictures of the new mount?
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Tags
Panamorph Uh480 Anamorphic Lens
Gear in this thread - Uh480 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page