Need Advice on CIH projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 08-05-2013, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
alan_ct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK heres my dilemma...I have a JVC DLA-HD350 at the moment which has non memory motorized lens control...My buddy is buying it of me so It's time for an upgrade! I am using a 138" 235:1 scope screen. I made side masking panels for 16x9 viewing...My question is I like the DLA-RS46U due to the fact of its ability to memorize the aspect ratios...It takes a long time with HD350 to go back and forth. A real PITA...But after reading the reviews of the Epson 5020UB it seems like an overall better PJ than the JVC...I do intend to do some 3D viewing...I am just thinking the extra brightness in 2 and 3D is a big plus for my screen size. My room is very dark cause i know you will ask! Does anyone have any insight on setting the lens shift and zoom manually on the Epson? I think the Epson will be a better choice excluding the fact of the lens shifting. Price of the PJs about the same but you have you spend many more $$$ on glasses and emmitters with the JVC Opinions? Thanks!
alan_ct is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 08-05-2013, 11:04 AM
Member
 
skater2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I'm sure that someone who knows more than me will chime in on this, but if you want the Epson, the 6020UB is basically a 5020UB, but with anamorphic support, and a couple of 3d glasses and an extra bulb for your expense. Maybe that's an option?
skater2 is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 08-05-2013, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 20,226
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 397
I recently test drove an Epson 6020UB. Personally, I would not give up a JVC for that. Yes, it's brighter, but contrast is crap (with or without the auto-iris) and it's loud as a freakin' Hoover, even in low lamp mode. If you do engage the auto-iris (and black level is an unbearable bright gray without it), you'll hear the loud mechanical whizzing every time it adjusts several times a minute. I've used other projectors with auto-irises (I currently have a Sharp DLP for 3D viewing), and none were this loud.

Other than brightness, I was not impressed with anything about the projector.

My $.02. I acknowledge that JVCs are useless for 3D.
alan_ct likes this.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is offline  
post #4 of 14 Old 08-05-2013, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
Glenn Baumann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Long Island, NY, USA
Posts: 815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 31
alan,

Take a look at the Sony HW50 as it is also LCOS with nice blacks and seems to offer a nice balance of 3D, brightness, color and motion! eek.gif


...Glenn smile.gif
alan_ct likes this.
Glenn Baumann is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 08-06-2013, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
alan_ct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yikes, Josh,Thats not a great review on the 5020 especially the fact it will be directly over my head! Thanks...Glenn, I will take a look at the Sony as an alternative! Al
alan_ct is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 08-06-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
John Schuermann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

I recently test drove an Epson 6020UB. Personally, I would not give up a JVC for that. Yes, it's brighter, but contrast is crap (with or without the auto-iris) and it's loud as a freakin' Hoover, even in low lamp mode. If you do engage the auto-iris (and black level is an unbearable bright gray without it), you'll hear the loud mechanical whizzing every time it adjusts several times a minute. I've used other projectors with auto-irises (I currently have a Sharp DLP for 3D viewing), and none were this loud.

Other than brightness, I was not impressed with anything about the projector.

My $.02. I acknowledge that JVCs are useless for 3D.

Hey Josh - is that the Epson we sent you? I used it in my home pretty extensively, and I didn't find the noise at low lamp mode objectionable at all. I also did not hear the auto iris working (though I did SEE it working). At high lamp mode, yes, it was very noisy.

Just curious. I wonder if it developed an issue during the transport to your home? Assuming it is the same one, that is.

John Schuermann, Filmmaker / Film Composer
Home Theater Industry Consultant
JS Music and Sound
Panamorph
Check out my new movie!: www.stephensonmovie.com
John Schuermann is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 08-06-2013, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
alan_ct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baumann View Post

alan,

Take a look at the Sony HW50 as it is also LCOS with nice blacks and seems to offer a nice balance of 3D, brightness, color and motion! eek.gif


...Glenn smile.gif
Checked it out..Great reviews! If it had a motorized lens memory it would be a go...But at 4K Its a no go for me! smile.gif
alan_ct is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 08-06-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 20,226
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schuermann View Post

Hey Josh - is that the Epson we sent you? I used it in my home pretty extensively, and I didn't find the noise at low lamp mode objectionable at all. I also did not hear the auto iris working (though I did SEE it working). At high lamp mode, yes, it was very noisy.

Just curious. I wonder if it developed an issue during the transport to your home? Assuming it is the same one, that is.

Yes, it's the same unit. It could be that I had the projector closer to my seating position than you do. It didn't sound like it was broken. It was just loud. These Epson models are much brighter than most of their competition, which means that their lamps put out more heat and need more fan action to stay cooled.

The Sharp DLP that's currently in the same spot is much quieter. I can't hear its iris at all, whereas the Epson had an audible "bzzt... bzzt... bzzt...bzzt..." every time the iris engaged. It sounded like C3PO was waving his arms around behind me. Brightness pumping in the image was distracting as well.

The electronic color correction worked as advertised in dialing out the CineVista's chromatic aberration, which was very useful in my evaluation of the lens. But other than that, I wasn't too impressed with the Epson in general.

I suppose I could just be spoiled, but if the o/p is thinking about trading out a JVC for an Epson, I think he may be disappointed.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 08-06-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
John Schuermann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Yes, it's the same unit. It could be that I had the projector closer to my seating position than you do. It didn't sound like it was broken. It was just loud. These Epson models are much brighter than most of their competition, which means that their lamps put out more heat and need more fan action to stay cooled.

The Sharp DLP that's currently in the same spot is much quieter. I can't hear its iris at all, whereas the Epson had an audible "bzzt... bzzt... bzzt...bzzt..." every time the iris engaged. It sounded like C3PO was waving his arms around behind me. Brightness pumping in the image was distracting as well.

The electronic color correction worked as advertised in dialing out the CineVista's chromatic aberration, which was very useful in my evaluation of the lens. But other than that, I wasn't too impressed with the Epson in general.

I suppose I could just be spoiled, but if the o/p is thinking about trading out a JVC for an Epson, I think he may be disappointed.

Personally, I like the JVC better too, but the Epson surprised me. I had evaluated LCD projectors in the past and always found them to be very lacking. The 6020 was the first unit I evaluated that I really liked.

Russell has a 6020 currently and says that it is very quiet except in 3D mode where it gets quite loud.

Brightness pumping also distracted me, as it does on all projectors with an auto iris. I'm surprised that more people who go on about "director's intent" don't complain about the overall image varying in brightness, as certainly the filmmakers did not intend for the picture to get brighter and darker depending on picture content...

John Schuermann, Filmmaker / Film Composer
Home Theater Industry Consultant
JS Music and Sound
Panamorph
Check out my new movie!: www.stephensonmovie.com
John Schuermann is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 08-06-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
John Schuermann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan_ct View Post

Checked it out..Great reviews! If it had a motorized lens memory it would be a go...But at 4K Its a no go for me! smile.gif

Check out all of these 3D projectors under $4K:

HW50ES, Epson 6020, BenQ W1070, Optoma HD25, JVC X35

All happen to have vertical stretch as well, so can be used with an anamorphic lens. The only unit with lens memory is the JVC.

John Schuermann, Filmmaker / Film Composer
Home Theater Industry Consultant
JS Music and Sound
Panamorph
Check out my new movie!: www.stephensonmovie.com
John Schuermann is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 08-06-2013, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
John Schuermann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

The electronic color correction worked as advertised in dialing out the CineVista's chromatic aberration, which was very useful in my evaluation of the lens.

Just wanted to point out that Sony and JVC also have the electronic color correction capabilities of the Epson.

John Schuermann, Filmmaker / Film Composer
Home Theater Industry Consultant
JS Music and Sound
Panamorph
Check out my new movie!: www.stephensonmovie.com
John Schuermann is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 08-06-2013, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
alan_ct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not enough cash for an A~lens in my wallet unfortunatly:eek:I think I will stick to the R46 for now and deal with the poor 3D quality...90% of my viewing will be 2D anyways...I am really sick of the screen dance and looking forward to the aspect memory function:)
alan_ct is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 08-07-2013, 02:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 20,226
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schuermann View Post

Just wanted to point out that Sony and JVC also have the electronic color correction capabilities of the Epson.

Do the new models allow independent zone correction like the Epson? My JVC RS40 (which is a few years old) can shift the entire panel for each of the colors, but doesn't offer independent control of each corner.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 08-07-2013, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
John Schuermann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Do the new models allow independent zone correction like the Epson? My JVC RS40 (which is a few years old) can shift the entire panel for each of the colors, but doesn't offer independent control of each corner.

Yep - independent zone correction on all of the newer JVCs (and the Sony HW50 and up).

John Schuermann, Filmmaker / Film Composer
Home Theater Industry Consultant
JS Music and Sound
Panamorph
Check out my new movie!: www.stephensonmovie.com
John Schuermann is offline  
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off