Constant External Lens Movement? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-18-2013, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just curious, once I set up a 2:35 screen and an anamorphic lens, does one then have to move the lens out of the way for a 1:85 movie?

I know my projector has memory, what would the memory be set for, focus, or zoom?

Just learning my way around before I take the CIH plunge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-18-2013, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
You don't have to move the lens out of the way for 1.85:1 since you can use a video processor (or possibly your projector/amplifier/player to scale the image to 'horizontal squeeze' so that you get the 1.85:1 image with black bars each side of your 2.35:1 screen.

However, this means that you'll be watching an image of approx 1400 x 1080 pixels so you'll be wasting some of the pixels and of course scaling the 1.85:1 image.

If you move the lens out of the way, you can use your lens memory to slightly zoom the image so that the screen height is filled (you'll still have side bars, but these won't be 'created' by your projector's best black level, they will be unlit sections of the screen.

This is what I do with my JVC X35 and Isco II lens: I have a 2.35:1 memory setting for when the lens is in place (minimum zoom in my case). Then another 1.85:1 setting which applies a little zoom and tiny amount of horizontal shift to realign the image. I just decide before watching the film if I need to place my lens in front of the projector (mine is on a fixed stand). I can use my video processor (Lumagen Mini3D) to instantly change the aspect ratio (as above, so losing some pixels) for menus and trailers before the main 2.35:1 feature starts.
OzzieP likes this.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #3 of 4 Old 08-19-2013, 05:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

You don't have to move the lens out of the way for 1.85:1 since you can use a video processor (or possibly your projector/amplifier/player to scale the image to 'horizontal squeeze' so that you get the 1.85:1 image with black bars each side of your 2.35:1 screen.

However, this means that you'll be watching an image of approx 1400 x 1080 pixels so you'll be wasting some of the pixels and of course scaling the 1.85:1 image.

So far for me that hasn't been a problem, 99% of the 16:9/1.85:1 I watch is either TV or Games, and TV is overcompressed and not highly detailed, and games (Xbox 360) aren't rendered at 1080p anyway.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #4 of 4 Old 08-19-2013, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The only issue I have is that I don't leave my lens in place all the time since IMHO it's a bit ugly and draws attention to itself when the projector isn't being used (it's a living room set up). So if I know the film is 1.85:1 then I may as well just select that lens memory setting and not bother setting the lens up. I mostly watch BluRays on my set up so they are usually decent quality sources, so it seems a shame to waste any pixels. I fully understand your approach with TV/games sources though.

A slight advantage over leaving the lens in place is that the side bars are unlit with the lens removed rather than the projector's 'best black'. However I tend to use some simple black velvet side masks anyway, so that's not a reason in my case. If I change to 1.85:1 with the lens in place then the side masks won't be there anyway (I really need to motorise them cool.gif).

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page