Which anamorphic lens to use with a sony 4k projector? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 08-30-2013, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi folks

I just installed a 144" scope, BD SI screen in my multipurpose room. Next step is to upgrade the projector, most likely with a Sony 1000es , most likely after CEDIA this year. I know it's the "wrong" time to buy with HDMI 2.0 around the corner - maybe I'll wait a bit more.

In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone has experience with this projector and an anamorphic lens? My installer is saying that since the projector is bright and pixels are effectively scaled upto to 4k pixels, you won't lose brightness or see pixelation even on this large a screen by zooming with lens memory. That's would of course be super convenient, not to mention cost effective. Thoughts?

Also, would you recommend an external scaler with this projector?

Thanks
Adanny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-02-2013, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
The Panamorph DC1 was created with the Sony 1000ES in mind. Other high end lenses like the Isco and Schneider pieces are also worth looking at.
post #3 of 15 Old 09-02-2013, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

RE: the scaler. Sony is very proud of the scaler in the 1000, and from what I've seen they're justified. It may not do all of the cool things the Lumagen will, though.
post #4 of 15 Old 09-16-2013, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15

I love the U380 with the 95ES, but it appears many 1000 owners are simply zooming scope movies. One owner reports that the 1000 won't vert stretch a 4 K source making zooming the only option to fill a scope screen until 4K BR players and 4K VP are available to do such.  I expect to upgrade to the 500ES but considering the cost of the better A lens to handle this resolution will likely nearly equal the cost of the pj, I will need to be really convinced that the zoom method on my 120 wide scope screen is not significantly as good as would be with the A lens.

post #5 of 15 Old 09-16-2013, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Pardon my ignorance, but is an anamorphic lens still required with a projector that has motorized zooms/preset memories?

See Profile
post #6 of 15 Old 09-16-2013, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanido View Post

Pardon my ignorance, but is an anamorphic lens still required with a projector that has motorized zooms/preset memories?

zoom is called poor man's way of seeing 2.35 content since it's leads in loss of picture quality.

anamorphic lens doesn't lead to loss of picture quality and they are expensive.
post #7 of 15 Old 09-16-2013, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Apparently the exeception to that is the new Sony 4k projector, which I just got. Everyone from my dealer to forum gurus have recommended NOT getting an anamorphic with it; not even the DC1 which is marketed as a custom solution ideal for 4k. Interesting
post #8 of 15 Old 09-17-2013, 11:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanzy View Post

I love the U380 with the 95ES, but it appears many 1000 owners are simply zooming scope movies. One owner reports that the 1000 won't vert stretch a 4 K source making zooming the only option to fill a scope screen until 4K BR players and 4K VP are available to do such.  I expect to upgrade to the 500ES but considering the cost of the better A lens to handle this resolution will likely nearly equal the cost of the pj, I will need to be really convinced that the zoom method on my 120 wide scope screen is not significantly as good as would be with the A lens.

I think there will be a 4K scaling solution with vertical stretch, close to the time that 4K content is available. Problem solved. smile.gif

Added
Mark_H tried an ISCO III with the Sony and reported that it worked fine. Said he did not see any draw backs and liked the faster switching compared to zoom method. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1359018/sony-vpl-vw1000/4410#post_23407200
Later Mark did switch over to the zoom method. Said he did not see any draw back in regards to image quality without the lens, so he simplified his setup by removing the lens. So it appears we have had one person use the VW1000ES with a lens and with zoom method reporting very little difference. This is good news for those that would need a lens to get the image size they want or for those that could use a little extra brightness.

Here is another VW1000ES owner using the ISCO III: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1359018/sony-vpl-vw1000/3420#post_22555020

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #9 of 15 Old 09-17-2013, 01:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Mark can still see? (sorry Mark, couldn't resist). Will miss you guys at CEDIA this year. I can't come, too many conflicts that week.
post #10 of 15 Old 09-17-2013, 02:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

Mark can still see? (sorry Mark, couldn't resist). Will miss you guys at CEDIA this year. I can't come, too many conflicts that week.

Not Halflich. smile.gif Sorry to hear you are not making it this year. How are the kids doing?

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #11 of 15 Old 09-17-2013, 03:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Everyone is doing well, thanks. Daughter started college this year in Engineering at UT in Knoxville. Conflict one is it's parents weekend so Cathy is going to Knoxville. Son is on high school robotics team again this year (see www.bestinc.org). I volunteered to host the design and build team at my shop (which is the actual robots construction) this year. The regional kickoff is that Saturday and as the senior/lead mentor I have to be there, as well as soem pre-kickoff stuff prior. I'll have 20-30 kids at my place trying to figure out how to build a robot to do the challenge given to them at the kickoff. Conflict #2. I considered going early week but half the fun is seeing everyone later in the week and some of my buddies arent' going this year either, so it's looking like it will be the first one I'll have missed since 2004. I hate it cause I like Denver, too.
post #12 of 15 Old 09-19-2013, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adanny View Post

Apparently the exeception to that is the new Sony 4k projector, which I just got. Everyone from my dealer to forum gurus have recommended NOT getting an anamorphic with it; not even the DC1 which is marketed as a custom solution ideal for 4k. Interesting

Interesting. Read the review here from Cine4Home, where they give a rather enthusiastic endorsement of the Panamorph UH480 for use with the VW1000 (you will need to translate this in Google):

http://www.cine4home.de/

Interesting that they raved about the UH480, which is actually a step down from the DC1. They also confirmed a 28% increase in brightness with the lens vs. zoom. The DC1 should actually provide an even brighter image with even less of the negligible color shift they reported.

It is true that no scaling engine works with native 4K content at this point, but I happen to know that some are on the way... wink.gif
post #13 of 15 Old 09-19-2013, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schuermann View Post

Interesting. Read the review here from Cine4Home, where they give a rather enthusiastic endorsement of the Panamorph UH480 for use with the VW1000 (you will need to translate this in Google):

http://www.cine4home.de/

Interesting that they raved about the UH480, which is actually a step down from the DC1. They also confirmed a 28% increase in brightness with the lens vs. zoom. The DC1 should actually provide an even brighter image with even less of the negligible color shift they reported.

It is true that no scaling engine works with native 4K content at this point, but I happen to know that some are on the way... wink.gif

Lumagen I would assume?
post #14 of 15 Old 09-27-2013, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by adanny View Post

Lumagen I would assume?

You know as soon as Lumagen can get hold of production quantities of HDMI 2.0/HDMI 2.2 chipsets, they will be providing products with UHD inputs...at least up to 30Hz. I would presume/hope that would also support Rec 2020 and 10-bit depth.

I'm sure the DC1 is awesome, but the 480 is a superb lens IMHO. It was a really important step. I still have a 380 with a DIY reposition of the rear corrector so that retroreflections can't occur, and I modified all the interior surfaces with black velvet tape. smile.gif Still a great lens. But I've used the 480 and 200 in all my designs for clients.
post #15 of 15 Old 09-28-2013, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
This is encouraging! I am currently a CRT owner looking to change things up and would love to do scope. I picked up a uh 480 a few years back at a good price waiting for the day to use it. With 4k looming I feared the 480 might not be able to resolve a 4k signal. Nice to know that should not be an issue.
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page