Is anamorphic lens needed with new 4k JVC - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 98 Old 09-19-2014, 11:49 AM
Member
 
Ravetrancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SWEDEN
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schuermann View Post
Not really familiar with the Sunfire speakers - just looked them up on line. From what I can tell, they should work fine. The Dolby tech I spoke to suggested standard directional speakers, not dipoles / bipoles. The Sunfires look like they should work.

I see the CRS3C is designed as a center speaker. Are you using those all around?
The CRS3C is a center yes, it has one more mid woofer and has the tweeter situated in the middle of the speaker in difference to the CRS3 that has the tweeter on the upper part of the speaker.

In the protecting felt in front of the speakers there is a diffusor in front of the tweeter so it spreads out the sound. I have removed the diffusor on those speakers that are not used as center.
So i have CRS3C's as fronts, center and surrounds. Rest is CRS3 and back surround is the CRM2 Bip, bipolar speakers.

I have
5x CRS3C
6x CRS3
4x CRM2Bip
2x TS-EQ12 subs

For powering this im using
Sunfires amps
TGA-7400 7x400W
TGA-7401 7x400W

Integra 80.3

I used the Onkyo PR-SC5509 before the Integra and frankly i cant hear any difference between those 2.

I havent used all speakers in my configuration thats been 7.2 with heights alternated with wides.

The tibbon tweeters are very directional so i think then they will be just great in an Atmos setup.

I have a problem though, the left n right front can not be put behind my screen because i cant get the 30 degree angle from my listening point. Is it ok to put them on the side wall where the 30 degree falls from my listening point?

Hope u understand my english, my grammar is really bad at times.
Ravetrancer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 98 Old 09-19-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
John Schuermann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravetrancer View Post
The CRS3C is a center yes, it has one more mid woofer and has the tweeter situated in the middle of the speaker in difference to the CRS3 that has the tweeter on the upper part of the speaker.

In the protecting felt in front of the speakers there is a diffusor in front of the tweeter so it spreads out the sound. I have removed the diffusor on those speakers that are not used as center.
So i have CRS3C's as fronts, center and surrounds. Rest is CRS3 and back surround is the CRM2 Bip, bipolar speakers.

I have
5x CRS3C
6x CRS3
4x CRM2Bip
2x TS-EQ12 subs

For powering this im using
Sunfires amps
TGA-7400 7x400W
TGA-7401 7x400W

Integra 80.3

I used the Onkyo PR-SC5509 before the Integra and frankly i cant hear any difference between those 2.

I havent used all speakers in my configuration thats been 7.2 with heights alternated with wides.

The tibbon tweeters are very directional so i think then they will be just great in an Atmos setup.

I have a problem though, the left n right front can not be put behind my screen because i cant get the 30 degree angle from my listening point. Is it ok to put them on the side wall where the 30 degree falls from my listening point?

Hope u understand my english, my grammar is really bad at times.
Ideally you wouldn't use any bipoles in an Atmos setup, since the goal is precise panning between speakers. I don't know how big of a deal this will be, though.

Of course, 30 degrees is a theoretical ideal. I usually just play with placement of L and R until I get a good mix of solid imaging without losing a wide soundstage. Room boundaries, etc, can really affect the sound. Placing a speaker in a corner can really affect sound quality. Listen to someone speaking as they move along a wall and notice how different their voice sounds when they are in the corner. Does side wall mean corner placement?

My main concern would be that sounds that are specifically panned right and left on screen would come from a location way beyond where they visually occur. Unless you plan on doing a lot of two channel music listening in your room (where correct placement becomes critical for imaging / soundstage), I wouldn't worry so much about the angle and put the LRs behind the screen.

Without actually seeing your room (or listening to it), it's really hard to say. Sometimes the theory goes right out the window once you are dealing with practical locations.

Not surprised that you don't hear a difference between the Onkyo and Integra. Any well designed amp performing to proper specifications should sound like any other

John Schuermann, Filmmaker / Film Composer
Home Theater Industry Consultant
JS Music and Sound
Panamorph
Check out my new movie!: www.stephensonmovie.com
John Schuermann is offline  
post #93 of 98 Old 09-19-2014, 06:48 PM
Member
 
Ravetrancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SWEDEN
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schuermann View Post
Ideally you wouldn't use any bipoles in an Atmos setup, since the goal is precise panning between speakers. I don't know how big of a deal this will be, though.

Of course, 30 degrees is a theoretical ideal. I usually just play with placement of L and R until I get a good mix of solid imaging without losing a wide soundstage. Room boundaries, etc, can really affect the sound. Placing a speaker in a corner can really affect sound quality. Listen to someone speaking as they move along a wall and notice how different their voice sounds when they are in the corner. Does side wall mean corner placement?

My main concern would be that sounds that are specifically panned right and left on screen would come from a location way beyond where they visually occur. Unless you plan on doing a lot of two channel music listening in your room (where correct placement becomes critical for imaging / soundstage), I wouldn't worry so much about the angle and put the LRs behind the screen.

Without actually seeing your room (or listening to it), it's really hard to say. Sometimes the theory goes right out the window once you are dealing with practical locations.

Not surprised that you don't hear a difference between the Onkyo and Integra. Any well designed amp performing to proper specifications should sound like any other
Hi John

Do u know if theres any app for like iPad where you could draw your room and put up speakers etc? Like a 3d app.
Ravetrancer is offline  
post #94 of 98 Old 09-20-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
John Schuermann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravetrancer View Post
Hi John

Do u know if theres any app for like iPad where you could draw your room and put up speakers etc? Like a 3d app.
I'm sure there are apps like that, but I am not familiar with them. You might try asking on one of the audio forums.

John Schuermann, Filmmaker / Film Composer
Home Theater Industry Consultant
JS Music and Sound
Panamorph
Check out my new movie!: www.stephensonmovie.com
John Schuermann is offline  
post #95 of 98 Old 09-20-2014, 05:10 PM
Member
 
Ravetrancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SWEDEN
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schuermann View Post
I'm sure there are apps like that, but I am not familiar with them. You might try asking on one of the audio forums.


Heres a drawing of my room.

Is it ok to put the fronts 30 degrees on the side walls where the arrows are pointing or should i have them behind the screen even though it isnt 30 degrees there?

I also got my Devore velvet from Whaleyes and will have it on the ceiling and walls from the screenand 10 feet towards the viewing positionClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411254628.338727.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	272058
Ravetrancer is offline  
post #96 of 98 Old 09-22-2014, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
John Schuermann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Are you going to do music listening in this room too, or just movies?
John Schuermann is offline  
post #97 of 98 Old 09-22-2014, 03:02 PM
Member
 
Ravetrancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SWEDEN
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schuermann View Post
Are you going to do music listening in this room too, or just movies?
Well, i sold my Mirage M1-si's so mostly it will movies.
Say 95% movies, 5% music.
So i will need to set it up for best possible movie experience, music come second hand.
Ravetrancer is offline  
post #98 of 98 Old 09-23-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
John Schuermann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Personally I would probably just put them behind the screen. You will have a somewhat limited soundstage when listening to stereo music, but at least the movie sound won't seem to localize from places well outside the screen area.

John Schuermann, Filmmaker / Film Composer
Home Theater Industry Consultant
JS Music and Sound
Panamorph
Check out my new movie!: www.stephensonmovie.com
John Schuermann is offline  
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off