Votes: 24 25.3%
  • I have a motorized anamorphic lens

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • Other - please see thread for explanation

Votes: 8 8.4%

How are you doing CIH?

3K views 30 replies 26 participants last post by  petew 
#1 ·
I apologize if this poll has been done before.

I would like to hear from others who chose the first answer. Did you get used to the manual AR change process, or is it a hassle? I'm moving from a PT-AE3000 (lens memory, average picture) to a Sony VPL-HW55 (manual everything, great picture). I'm fully committed to my 2.35 setup, just wondering what to expect. Thanks!

#2 ·
I use a Panamorph 380 and motorized sled. I also stretch the image with a DVDO iScan Duo...not the projector.....

I used the zoom method for months before I got my mounting plate made for my JVC RS45. The picture seemed OK, but I hated waiting for the lens memory to adjust AND sometimes the lens memory wasn't the same as last time, so I would have to do minor shifts to fill the screen. I also hated loosing the extra light from zooming, so I sought out and bought the re-branded to Optoma.. Panamorph UH380 and motorized sled. I gave something around $1200 for them and they were brand new. Now when we pick out a scope movie the screen is to size in 2-3 seconds and we are off and running.

#3 ·
I voted "I have a manual anamorphic lens," which is true for my primary JVC projector. However, I also have a Sharp DLP installed below it specifically for 3D. With that one, I use the motorized zoom with lens memories. So, I wish the poll allowed voting for multiple options.

#4 ·
Rats, I can't edit the poll now. I also forgot an obvious answer: "I use two projectors". I've actually considered this, because 80% of my viewing is 'scope, but 95% of my son's viewing (PS3 games and TV shows) is 16:9. A decent $500 DLP projector and a $50 HDMI splitter would resolve that nicely, assuming I can figure out how to stack them. It would also save my Sony lamp hours for movie-watching.

Thanks for your replies.

#5 ·
I use both methods: Zoom (have been doing it "manually" using the remote control, but soon to incorporate lens memory) and also a Panamorph Anamorphic lens. In my set up there are advantages to either depending on the circumstances of what I'm watching.

(I'm not running a strictly CIH system, but sometimes I do so from a 1:85:1 movie to a scope movie)

#7 ·
I use a manual anamorphic lens (Isco II on a stand), but I actually combine it with my JVC X35 lens memory: With the lens I have to zoom right back and make a small shift. With the Isco II not in place for 1.85:1 films I use a second lens memory to slightly zoom the image to fill my 2.35:1 screen height. I use my Lumagen for vertical stretch as I feel it is better than the JVC's scaling.

I check the disc beforehand to see if I need to place my lens in place and therefore what lens memory setting to use since I put my lens away when not watching the projector as I think it looks ugly left in place (living room set up). If I watch some 16:9 TV sourced content after watching a 2.35:1 film with the lens in place I use my Lumagen's horizontal squeeze function to save having to take the lens down when I've been drinking.

#9 ·
I currently have a Mitsubishi HC4000. With the Mits you manually zoom and focus and then it has an digital feature that lets you swap between 16:9 and 2.35. It also allows me to move the 2.35 image down electronically and stack both of the letterbox bars on top of the image so that they fall on my black top drop and velvet covered screen housing making them virtually disappear. I have a JVC X500R on the way to replace the Mits, so I will be zooming with it's motorized lens for my 105" wide Seymour AV CenterStage retractable 2.35 screen with it.

#11 ·
UH480 with the ATH sled.

Had an older Prismasonic lens, got tired of the CA. switched to lens memory CIH on my RS45. That worked well but didn't like the light spill; desktop issues (run an HTPC and often would have to return to 16:9 mode to use the desktop); and more visable pixels. I guess I am just picky.

With the UH480, I finally got the experience I was looking for in my home theater setup.

#13 ·
I have an Epson 8350 which is mounted just behind/above my head on a back wall of my living room. I reach back and manually zoom/refocus while seated. It's an unusual setup which works (and is somewhat dictated by) the oddities of my room layout:

More details/photos of my room here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1410740/sraulys-post-beam-house-living-room-theater

Zooming/refocusing is super quick, and no one hardly complains anymore.

My approach would not be desirable if my projector was ceiling mounted.

Reactions: John Schlarb
#14 ·
My setup has the projector sitting on top of a 5-foot-tall bookshelf, behind a row of seats. I'm switching from motorized zoom to manual zoom, but when I think about it the motorized zoom has always required manual tweaking of the vertical alignment. I may get some weak binoculars for doing the focus. :)

#16 ·

I had to tick "other" because even though I made myself a manual slide just before Christmas, someone liked the Projector Station rig and bought it off me. So my A-Lens is once again sitting on a shelf in front of the projector.

When the laser cutter re-opens for business next week, I will place an order for another one of my Projector Stations and get another sled made up.

#24 ·
Panamorph

JVC RS-45 with Panamorph UH480 with motorized sled (ATH) + Lumagen Mini-3D.
2.35 screen with DIY motorized masking system.

____
Axel

Axel- Question for you.... I have the JVC 6710 and a lumagen mini. If I am getting a 2:35 screen, should I still get a panamorph uh480? I guess I just get confused over the lumagen vs. the panamorph, and if it makes sense at all to have both working at once. I have an option to get a uh480 from a local dealer, but I would probably have to sell the lumagen to do so. What is your suggestion since you are a fellow JVC owner?

#23 ·
I have a JVC 4810 with lens memory and a Panamorph 480. Haven't used the 480 for a year now since I got the 4810 it looks that good but I plan to build a manual slide sometime soon (as soon as I get my skyline diffusor built and installed).

#28 ·
Axel:

My experience is with the JVC DLA-X700R projector. I sold a bunch of stuff over the last year, one of the items being my lumagen mini. I didn't have the proper mount to remount my lens with the JVC...so I kept it stored. During the time without the lens, I used the zoom method. I was fine with the zoom...

I stumbled across a couple of posts from members who installed their lens with the JVC and were really happy with the results. So I did some research and decided to use some chief projector mounts/parts to create a separate mount for the lens (vs a lens mounting plate that would attach to the existing projector mount).

I am so glad I did, I am very happy with the JVC A-lens combo, so much so, I wouldn't want to go back to zooming. Here's the rub...after a couple more months, I squeezed the finance commitment (and sold a few items) and repurchased the Lumagen Mini.... main purpose was for the auto calibration feature...but the added bonus was the scaling and ease of use with the A lens. I could of used the JVC's internal A-lens feature or the OPPO 103D's anamorphic feature...which would be fine without the Lumagen.

Bottomline for me was A-lens first and Lumagen second...but am so glad I was able to swing both for the best possible performance out of my system. Right now, I am in no hurry for 4K vs my current set up. My hope is to squeeze some additional life out of what I have (based on my current investment) before I would feel the need to step up to 4K. So I believe it's a good investment that will pay dividends for a longer period of time.

#29 ·
I chose "other", even though I have been using manually zoom and shift for years.

I am doing something a little different. When I want to watch a
1.78:1 to 1.85:1 disc, I use my Samsung 8550 4K tv. I watch this
from approximately 5 1/2' distance. Then, when I want to watch
a truly widescreen disc, I hang a home made screen from chains
in front of my tv, and turn on my Epson 5030 UB, which is zoomed
for that size image. The hanging screen is 57" wide by 24" high.
This is almost exactly the same height as my 8550 tv. So far, I
am very pleased doing it this way!:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.