What lens sim2 for 2.35 1 screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-05-2014, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi,

I have built my own 2.35.1 fixed screen. The screen area is 176cm wide and 76cm tall. The distance of the projector from the screen is 3.8 Metres. I have a Sim2 Lite 720p. with T2 lens. This projector works perfectly for 2.35.1 films. If I wish to watch 16.9 films I zoom the projector in and the picture fills the screen perfectly with black bars on the sides. I now wish to upgrade to the sim2 1080 C3x but am not sure if there is a lens suitable for my needs. The T2 lens zoom range of this projector is 1.75-2.48, but my T2 on the C3X lite is 2.0-3.0. I have checked the T2 setting of this projector with the projector calculator and it seems ok for 2.35.1 films on my size screen but when I watch 16.9 films  I need the 16.9 picture to drop to 76cm otherwise it overhangs the screen height wise. Basically i need to know the picture height with the projector 3,8 metres from the screen at the two ends of the zoom range. I dont want a bigger screen. I realise I can scale the picture to fit but I tried this idea instead of zooming the projector on my present set up but the picture was degraded. My only other idea is to mask the 16.9 picture but I would loose picture information so thats not on either wonder if  the zoom lens from the C3X lite would fit into the c3x 1080 .Any advise thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-05-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 62
My suggestion - call Robin at SIM2 tech support. He should be able to answer these questions. Are you in the US?

John Schuermann, Filmmaker / Film Composer
Home Theater Industry Consultant
JS Music and Sound
Panamorph
Check out my new movie!: www.stephensonmovie.com
post #3 of 4 Old 02-05-2014, 10:04 AM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
FYI the docs are sketchy on the T2 TR. It is nto 1.75 as the manual says in some places. Sim2 sets it at 1.82 in dealer literature. I have worked with these in tight throw limited situations and can verify the docs are bad. There are some docs with conflicting information in them. The T2 and T3 HC lenses have enough zoom range if they are placed just right. T1 does not.

I'm assuming since you are noting meters you are not in the US. If you are in the US, and you get the PJ from me, I'd be happy to work out the details on PJ placement including associated CAD drawings, etc. Let me know if I can help in that regard off-line PM or E-mail scott@techht.com

John, Robin is no longer with Sim2.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-05-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

John, Robin is no longer with Sim2.

Wow, news to me! (Obviously.)

John Schuermann, Filmmaker / Film Composer