What are the different ways to stretch 16:9 content to fill a 2.35 screen? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 32 Old 04-09-2014, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Sorry for the noob question. I know an anamorphic lens will do the stretch and so would a device like the Lumagen. Are there any other options?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 04-10-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjay71 View Post

Sorry for the noob question. I know an anamorphic lens will do the stretch and so would a device like the Lumagen. Are there any other options?

What is it you're looking to do, exactly? The geometry is what it is. 16:9 is not the same shape as 2.35:1. You can either pillarbox it in the center of the screen with black bars on the sides, or you can stretch it to make it fill the screen, at the cost of the picture looking weird and distorted.

What are you trying to watch, and what result do you want to see on your screen?

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #3 of 32 Old 04-10-2014, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

What is it you're looking to do, exactly? The geometry is what it is. 16:9 is not the same shape as 2.35:1. You can either pillarbox it in the center of the screen with black bars on the sides, or you can stretch it to make it fill the screen, at the cost of the picture looking weird and distorted.

What are you trying to watch, and what result do you want to see on your screen?

Yes, I understand. I want the 16:9 image (NFL let's say) to fill the screen at the cost of distortion which I hear is not too bad with a non linear stretch

Thanks
post #4 of 32 Old 04-10-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjay71 View Post

Yes, I understand. I want the 16:9 image (NFL let's say) to fill the screen at the cost of distortion which I hear is not too bad with a non linear stretch

That's a matter of personal opinion. Generally, a non-linear stretch may look OK on a still frame. However, when the picture is in motion, it creates a severe "fish eye" effect whenever objects cross from the center of the frame to the sides or vice versa. IMO, this would be very distracting, possibly even nauseating, when watching sports that are photographed on a horizontal plane with the action constantly moving from side to side. Your mileage may vary.

Josh Z

post #5 of 32 Old 04-10-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 625
If you want 16:9 content to "fill" a 2:35:1 screen more, you're much better off overscanning the image than anything else. You won't be able to fill the rest of the screen without the light spilling onto the walls. However, if the walls are very dark and you have some sort of velvet border (or even background) this will catch most of that spill light. Maybe do partial overscan as a compromise to minimize light spill although you will still have some visible vertical black bars on the screen. I just cannot understand geometrically distorting an image, nor am I crazy about overscanning - but that is still a better option if it has to be one or the other IMO.

post #6 of 32 Old 04-11-2014, 09:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

If you want 16:9 content to "fill" a 2:35:1 screen more, you're much better off overscanning the image than anything else. You won't be able to fill the rest of the screen without the light spilling onto the walls. However, if the walls are very dark and you have some sort of velvet border (or even background) this will catch most of that spill light. Maybe do partial overscan as a compromise to minimize light spill although you will still have some visible vertical black bars on the screen. I just cannot understand geometrically distorting an image, nor am I crazy about overscanning - but that is still a better option if it has to be one or the other IMO.

The problem with overscanning in his situation is that, if he wants to watch sports, he'll lose the score and stats and other info displayed at the top and bottom of the frame.

Josh Z

post #7 of 32 Old 04-11-2014, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

The problem with overscanning in his situation is that, if he wants to watch sports, he'll lose the score and stats and other info displayed at the top and bottom of the frame.

Exactly. I don't want to overscan and potentially lose important information like scores, etc. I would rather have the image a little distorted using NLS. I also understand that the image with fast panning could be a problem. Is there a way to see what it would look like before diving in an purchasing the Lumagen?
post #8 of 32 Old 06-10-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Why not buy a 2nd 16:9 screen - electric, to drop in front of your 2.35:1 screen, when you watch sports and other 16:9 content? Distorting the picture to fit a 2.35:1 screen - well, there's wrong, and there's wrong, and then there's that !

16:9 and 2.35:1 screens - no aspect ratio compromise either way !

118" wide 2.35 screen in the back, 106" wide 16:9 screen in the front. The best of both worlds !! smile.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #9 of 32 Old 06-10-2014, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
There is a member here(forgot his user name)but he demonstrates using a Lumagen mini 3D for doing exactly what you ask.
He has demos on youtube as well.
post #10 of 32 Old 06-11-2014, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummermitchell View Post

There is a member here(forgot his user name)but he demonstrates using a Lumagen mini 3D for doing exactly what you ask.
He has demos on youtube as well.

It is BrolicBeast. His YouTube video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwF7nYe-YzM. The negative, as I understand it, is that you are both zoomed and scaled in that scenario. However, he did say that you could still see the score etc. (Football) when using the non-linear stretch. 

post #11 of 32 Old 06-15-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheaterguy View Post
Buy my Stewart screen, it crops from 16.9 to 2.35...
Does anyone need a 12' Stewart, adjustable aspect ration, (2:35:1), motorized, key-padded, micro-perfed screen?

A veteran is someone who, wrote a blank check Made Payable to 'The USA, ' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'
post #12 of 32 Old 05-09-2015, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

I had asked this question over a year ago.

Now, I am going back to a 2.35 screen and a getting a JVC4910 projector. Are there any new processors, hopefully less expensive, besides the Lumagen than can do the NLS or "fill" a 2.35 screen when playing 16:9 content?
post #13 of 32 Old 05-09-2015, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Some program is framed with enough height to allow (scaling + optics) it to be projected onto a Scope screen. From a purest POV, you don't do it, yet sometimes, it just enhances the look of the program. AVATAR is IMO one example that looks stunning in Scope.

The issue with doing this for a sports game is that you may lose the score.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #14 of 32 Old 05-09-2015, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post
Some program is framed with enough height to allow (scaling + optics) it to be projected onto a Scope screen. From a purest POV, you don't do it, yet sometimes, it just enhances the look of the program. AVATAR is IMO one example that looks stunning in Scope.

The issue with doing this for a sports game is that you may lose the score.

Appreciate your reply. Basically, I just want my 2.35 screen filled when watching 16:9 content. I know this is blasphemy to some but I think I can tolerate the distortion over black bars. I know I could use masking but I think sports or other 16:9 content would look awesome if even a little distorted on a 2.35 screen.
post #15 of 32 Old 05-10-2015, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Sports are one thing likely to look terrible with NLS. One of the things that makes non-linear-stretch most obvious/terrible is horizontal panning. And there's lots of that with sports.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #16 of 32 Old 05-11-2015, 09:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Sports are one thing likely to look terrible with NLS. One of the things that makes non-linear-stretch most obvious/terrible is horizontal panning. And there's lots of that with sports.
Agreed. Horizontal panning gives a really disturbing fish-eye effect during NLS.

Josh Z

post #17 of 32 Old 05-11-2015, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Note you don't need to use NLS mode to fill the 2.35 screen with 16:9 material, you can just use a linear stretch which would not have the horizontal panning artifacts -- just short, wide people.

For Sale: Panamorph DC1 anamorphic lens - $3000 or best offer
For Sale: Navitar SSW065 short throw conversion lens - $500 or best offer
WTB: Triad InWall Bronze SlimSub/4, InCeiling/InWall Gold Omni SE or InCeiling Silver MiniMonitors
Small HT: JVC RS4910, Mits HC7900DW, Falcon 2.35:1 100-wide, Triad Gold Omni SE & Silver Surrounds, PSA XS15-base, Marantz SR7008, Oppo 103D, Tivo Mini, HTPC
post #18 of 32 Old 05-11-2015, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post
Note you don't need to use NLS mode to fill the 2.35 screen with 16:9 material, you can just use a linear stretch which would not have the horizontal panning artifacts -- just short, wide people.
That may be better than the NLS especially when watching sports. I assume I can do a linear stretch with the Lumagen. Any other less expensive ways of doing this?

Thanks
post #19 of 32 Old 05-11-2015, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjay71 View Post
That may be better than the NLS especially when watching sports. I assume I can do a linear stretch with the Lumagen. Any other less expensive ways of doing this?
Yes with the Lumagen you can have fine control over e.g. the fraction of the center slice of the 16:9 image that is linearly stretched (including the whole image). See the manual for the various parameters to NLS. I don't think the DVDO Duo would work for this but its the only other processor I'm vaguely familiar with.

For Sale: Panamorph DC1 anamorphic lens - $3000 or best offer
For Sale: Navitar SSW065 short throw conversion lens - $500 or best offer
WTB: Triad InWall Bronze SlimSub/4, InCeiling/InWall Gold Omni SE or InCeiling Silver MiniMonitors
Small HT: JVC RS4910, Mits HC7900DW, Falcon 2.35:1 100-wide, Triad Gold Omni SE & Silver Surrounds, PSA XS15-base, Marantz SR7008, Oppo 103D, Tivo Mini, HTPC
post #20 of 32 Old 05-14-2015, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Any DuneHD media player can do vertical stretch.
post #21 of 32 Old 05-19-2015, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post

Great - Sumo wrestlers playing football !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
post #22 of 32 Old 05-20-2015, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 66
why not just mask the black bars? IMO, having a smaller 16:9 with no black bars looks a lot better than a stretched one (nonlinear or linear).
Rashman likes this.
post #23 of 32 Old 05-20-2015, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1564 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedreda View Post
why not just mask the black bars? IMO, having a smaller 16:9 with no black bars looks a lot better than a stretched one (nonlinear or linear).
Because if he simply zoomed out to fill his screen he'd lose the scores/highlights that are at the top and bottom of the image during sporting events. He's trying to avoid that.
post #24 of 32 Old 05-20-2015, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1564 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
Any DuneHD media player can do vertical stretch.
He needs more than vertical stretch. He would need NLS or stretching in both the vertical and horizontal directions.
post #25 of 32 Old 05-20-2015, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I meant that he would leave the image unstretched and small as is and just use masking panels to hide the black bars. I have a 16:9 and I use that method with 1.37:1 content with great results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Because if he simply zoomed out to fill his screen he'd lose the scores/highlights that are at the top and bottom of the image during sporting events. He's trying to avoid that.
post #26 of 32 Old 06-12-2015, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Why not buy a 2nd 16:9 screen - electric, to drop in front of your 2.35:1 screen, when you watch sports and other 16:9 content? Distorting the picture to fit a 2.35:1 screen - well, there's wrong, and there's wrong, and then there's that !

118" wide 2.35 screen in the back, 106" wide 16:9 screen in the front. The best of both worlds !!
Craig, do you use a projector with lens memory or do you manually adjust the zoom prior to each time viewing content with different aspect ratio?
post #27 of 32 Old 06-12-2015, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 View Post
Craig, do you use a projector with lens memory or do you manually adjust the zoom prior to each time viewing content with different aspect ratio?

I've had a Sim Lumis host for over 6 years, that has no lens memory. Takes about 10 seconds. I now also have a VW600. I timed using the power zoom and lens shift without lens memory to simulate the VW350 - took about 10 seconds. Fact is not only is it quick and easy, I don't necessarily have to switch back and forth - depends what you watch. All 2.35:1 movies " this week " = no zooming anyway.

post #28 of 32 Old 06-12-2015, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I've had a Sim Lumis host for over 6 years, that has no lens memory. Takes about 10 seconds. I now also have a VW600. I timed using the power zoom and lens shift without lens memory to simulate the VW350 - took about 10 seconds. Fact is not only is it quick and easy, I don't necessarily have to switch back and forth - depends what you watch. All 2.35:1 movies " this week " = no zooming anyway.
Thanks Craig. After much consideration I just purchased a 128" 16:9 screen mainly because I didn't want to deal with masking a 2.4 screen for sports/hdtv viewing. It's good to know that adding a 2.4 screen would not necessarily require a different projector with lens memory or other complicated solution.
post #29 of 32 Old Today, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 View Post
Thanks Craig. After much consideration I just purchased a 128" 16:9 screen mainly because I didn't want to deal with masking a 2.4 screen for sports/hdtv viewing. It's good to know that adding a 2.4 screen would not necessarily require a different projector with lens memory or other complicated solution.
That is how I wound up with two screens. Like most people I started out with a 16:9 screen. Then, thought about replacing it with a 2.35:1 screen. But I realized that I wouldn't get much money for a used screen, so just added a wider 2.35:1 screen. Best thing I ever did !

post #30 of 32 Old Today, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I know some people don't like it, but watching sports in 2:35 via a Lumagen is actually pretty immersive. I use a Lumagen 2143.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page