Sub $1500 projector capable of CIH (zoom method) with lens memory? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-23-2014, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I'm building a home theater in my new house. Room is roughly 13'x20'. Screen will be on a 13' wall. Probably a 120" scope screen. No restrictions as far as throw distance.

Are there any decent projectors that cost $1500 or less that can have enough zoom to do CIH, and have lens memory?

Thanks!

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-23-2014, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I can't think of one new that would be in that range. However you can probably find a Panasonic AE4000 or JVC RS45 used in that range.

post #3 of 10 Old 05-23-2014, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Carp on here uses an Epson 8350 and manually zooms as needed. It may not be as glamorous as an automated setup but for around 1000 dollars it's hard to beat. Personally I've researched the subject into the ground and its likely the route I will go when the time comes.

post #4 of 10 Old 05-29-2014, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Another option just above your budget: You can get a new Panasonic AE8000 for ~$1900 after rebate, which has motorized zoom and electronic image shift which combined allow you to do CIH without any manual steps.

- Jeff

WTB: PSA XS15 or XS15se, PM me.

Small HT: JVC RS4910, Mits HC7900DW, Falcon 2.35:1 100-wide, Marantz SR7008, Triad Gold Omni SE & Silver Surrounds, PSA XS15-base, Oppo 103D, Tivo Mini, HTPC
post #5 of 10 Old 06-04-2014, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I've bought a single BenQ W1070 for $750, and I'm thinking of buying another one if I can get it for $700 out the door. That would be a total of $1450, but I would have two projectors. One would be specifically set up for only 2.35:1 content. The other one, specifically for 16:9 content.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-13-2014, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the replies. So is the Panasonic AE8000 the cheapest projector that has enough power zoom for CIH, and also has good image quality?
post #7 of 10 Old 06-13-2014, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Ennis View Post
Thanks for the replies. So is the Panasonic AE8000 the cheapest projector that has enough power zoom for CIH, and also has good image quality?
Brand new I believe so. $1900 is pretty good for that unit.

post #8 of 10 Old 06-13-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post
Another option just above your budget: You can get a new Panasonic AE8000 for ~$1900 after rebate, which has motorized zoom and electronic image shift which combined allow you to do CIH without any manual steps.
excellent choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
I've bought a single BenQ W1070 for $750, and I'm thinking of buying another one if I can get it for $700 out the door. That would be a total of $1450, but I would have two projectors. One would be specifically set up for only 2.35:1 content. The other one, specifically for 16:9 content.
In addition to being more complicated - both would be notably inferior to the AE8000u - for the price delta it doesn't really make much sense to me to go this direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Ennis View Post
From my research this is the case too -- I bought one recently and am quite impressed. It is a very significant upgrade from my former 8350 in brightness, quality, and black level/contrast. Carp and I are buds, and carp was over at my house this week to see the projector for the first time and he said he could tell immediately it was a very clear upgrade from the Epson 8350 (which we both owned). I think the same. Overall picture quality is probably only 30% better I'd say, but contrast and black level is significantly better, brightness is better (to the point my wife says it's so bright it hurt's her eyes on normal mode) and the autolens function for zooming between 16x9 and 2.35:1 is something that will make you smile nearly everytime it automatically engages and switches your content.

Another option would be a used JVC. Many on these boards claim they are clearly superior in black levels, but be wary of the low 80ms range video lag on the JVC vs the high 30ms range video lag on the AE8000U if you are a gamer. The best projector image I've ever seen have been JVC, but the AE8000U is quite good and since I game - it was a easier choice for me.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 10 Old 06-14-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
In addition to being more complicated - both would be notably inferior to the AE8000u - for the price delta it doesn't really make much sense to me to go this direction.
Well, ideally, I would have a LCOS type projector specifically for movies and 2.35:1, and still have a high end DLP because I'm a gamer, and if you're a gamer, it's all about DLP. I know there are some LCD and LCOS projectors that are pretty good with gaming, but DLP gaming just go together like peanut butter and jelly.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-14-2014, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
For what it's worth, I have an Epson 8350 and shine it through a Panamorph 380 lens onto a 150" diagonal screen and LOVE it. It is plenty bright enough IMHO, running it in the quietest mode. I considered the Panasonic AE8000, but budget was a concern for me at the time of purchase. If I was in the market again, the AE8000 would definitely be a projector I'd consider. That said, I think people give the 8350 a bad rap in terms of black level/contrast ratio. The black level is nothing to scoff at, but I realize other projectors can do better. Without seeing "grey" black bars above and below the picture (like when a 235 movie is properly formatted on a 235 screen) the black level does not bother me at all. But if you do see the "grey" bars, I think it psychologically makes you think they should be black, and then you start thinking about black level too much.
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat
Gear in this thread - w1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page