What should I use to scale, Sim2 PJ or Oppo BDP-103? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-01-2014, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
What should I use to scale, Sim2 PJ or Oppo BDP-103?

I have always used my Sim2 HT3000e to scale my image, and I have a fixed Panamorph UH-380, so I have a setting for 1.85 and 16:9 content as well as my setting for 2.35:1 Blu-rays and occasional cable movies broadcast in 2.35:1. My question is should I pump my set top box output through the Oppo and use it (the Oppo) to do the scaling?

I think these would be my considerations:

1) Which does a better job of scaling, the Oppo or the Sim2, or is there no appreciable difference?
2) If there is no advantage to the Sim2, and if I then used the Oppo for scaling, would it be easier to select the scale setting from my Harmony One programmable remote based on the input source on the Oppo? The Sim2 is a little cumbersome for the Harmony One to automatically change the scaling setting (say default to 2.35:1 for Blu-ray and 16:9 for set-top-box, and then a one-button click to change either one to the opposite if needed). In order to make this truly wife-friendly I wanted to see if this was possible. I haven't been able to do this via the Sim2 but I haven't experimented with it too much yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-05-2014, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 48
If you are leaving the A-Lens in place all the time, then you will need to be able to both V-Stretch and H-Squeeze.

The OPPO may not be able to V-Stretch some Java titles. It won't V-Stretch select 3D titles.
The OPPO can not H-Squeeze at this time.

The OPPO 103D is an awesome player though and I really am loving mine right now. It loads super fast and just plays everything I have including DVD-A and SACD over HDMI.

I don't have a SIM2 but from what I can tell on my BenQ (I heard some of the SIMs are re-badged BenQs?) the difference is hardly noticeable. I do think scaling at the source is slightly better, but such a small difference it may or may not be important to you. From an ease of use POV, scaling at the projector wins.

Slightly OT, is there a setting for pause on the OPPO 103D to be frame stepped? I can't seem to find that option in my set up menu.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!

Last edited by CAVX; 07-05-2014 at 06:30 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-10-2014, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post
If you are leaving the A-Lens in place all the time, then you will need to be able to both V-Stretch and H-Squeeze.

The OPPO may not be able to V-Stretch some Java titles. It won't V-Stretch select 3D titles.
The OPPO can not H-Squeeze at this time.

The OPPO 103D is an awesome player though and I really am loving mine right now. It loads super fast and just plays everything I have including DVD-A and SACD over HDMI.

I don't have a SIM2 but from what I can tell on my BenQ (I heard some of the SIMs are re-badged BenQs?) the difference is hardly noticeable. I do think scaling at the source is slightly better, but such a small difference it may or may not be important to you. From an ease of use POV, scaling at the projector wins.

Slightly OT, is there a setting for pause on the OPPO 103D to be frame stepped? I can't seem to find that option in my set up menu.
Do you know which 3D titles the Oppo 103D will not V-Stretch? I have a CIH setup that will be using a UH-480 lens on a powered sled. The projector I'm using doesn't do V-Stretch so I am relying on the 103D to do the stretch. I have tried Prometheus 3D on Blu-Ray and the Oppo will V-Stretch that title properly. Just wanted to know if you know of any specific titles the 103D won't stretch since I have no other means of V-Stretching at this time.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-16-2014, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Thanks CAVX. Yes, I figured that out pretty quickly - I have a fixed lens in place which works well for me. Sim2s sure give a lot of AR scaling flexibility. I may play around with the Sim2 memories (have never used these before) as a way to make it simpler for the Harmony One to select the appropriate AR setting on the PJ. Gotta make it wife-friendly!
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat
Gear in this thread - BDP-103? by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page