• 1 Post By Josh Z
  • 1 Post By Gary Lightfoot

post #1 of 22 Old 07-08-2014, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 564
shaky cam film style on a big CIH screen is awful!

I sit 13' back from a 144" CIH screen. I just watched Superman, Man of Steel. I love the movie, but man, the shaky cam is horrible on my big CIH screen. HORRIBLE!

The last time I watched it was on a 106" 16x9 and I didn't even notice the shaky cam. Now with my new larger screen it almost made me sick. Same seating distance. Any one else experience this?

I guess my solution will be not to use Scope CIH format on shaky cam movies with my Panasonic AE8000U, and just use my smaller size 16x9 lens setting. It was really so unnerving that I wanted to turn the movie off, but because I had guests who hadn't seen it I didnt. They were annoyed by it as well. Not cool when you are showing off your theater and your guests reaction is the screen is so big it makes you ill --- when a non shaky cam movie is nothing short of impressive immersion at the exact same size.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

Last edited by Archaea; 07-10-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-09-2014, 04:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 120
The only movie I've had trouble with in my HT is Captain Philips, I felt like I was on a boat. But that may have been aggravated by overeating beforehand.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #3 of 22 Old 07-09-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 334
This has nothing to do with CIH and everything to do with the fact that you've increased your screen size.

I'm no fan of shaky-cam either, but I must point out that all of these movies played in cinemas with much larger screens.
Marc Wielage likes this.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #4 of 22 Old 07-09-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
This has nothing to do with CIH and everything to do with the fact that you've increased your screen size.

I'm no fan of shaky-cam either, but I must point out that all of these movies played in cinemas with much larger screens.
When I first built our current theater my wife complained that she felt a bit sea sick watching " 24 " on our 122" diagonal 16:9 screen from 13 1/2 feet away. She's slowly gotten used to it, and the sectional sofa is now at 12 1/2 feet ( and the same distance from the 128" diagonal 2.35:1 screen ). Too bad I can't afford a Stewart Director's Choice masking screen - you could tailor the size to match the content and to your tastes !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #5 of 22 Old 07-09-2014, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Quote:

A larger screen at the theater does not mean watching at the theater commands as much of your viewing peripheral vision as it does at home with a large screen. In fact my 144" scope screen (same as 152" 16x9 screen) at 13' well exceeds maximum viewing angles (which I knew going in). BUT - - I really like the big CIH for most movies --- however for shaky cam it's really bad --- that's the point of this topic. So it does have something to do with CIH - if only in a round about way. If I went with a 16x9 screen in my room (because I am height limited) I would have had to do a max of about a 120" 16x9. Perhaps then I wouldn't have had any problem since 106" didn't bother me in the least (didn't even notice as I mentioned earlier). Since I did CIH I could go the equivalent picture of a much bigger 16x9 image and thus the shaky cam frustration.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #6 of 22 Old 07-10-2014, 10:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
A larger screen at the theater does not mean watching at the theater commands as much of your viewing peripheral vision as it does at home with a large screen. In fact my 144" scope screen (same as 152" 16x9 screen) at 13' well exceeds maximum viewing angles (which I knew going in). BUT - - I really like the big CIH for most movies --- however for shaky cam it's really bad --- that's the point of this topic. So it does have something to do with CIH - if only in a round about way. If I went with a 16x9 screen in my room (because I am height limited) I would have had to do a max of about a 120" 16x9. Perhaps then I wouldn't have had any problem since 106" didn't bother me in the least (didn't even notice as I mentioned earlier). Since I did CIH I could go the equivalent picture of a much bigger 16x9 image and thus the shaky cam frustration.
Well, again, this has nothing to do with CIH and everything to do with screen size. Had you been able to install a super-large 16:9 screen, you'd have the same problem.

The fact that your larger screen is CIH is coincidental to this issue, not causative.

Josh Z

post #7 of 22 Old 07-10-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
When I first built our current theater my wife complained that she felt a bit sea sick watching " 24 " on our 122" diagonal 16:9 screen from 13 1/2 feet away. She's slowly gotten used to it, and the sectional sofa is now at 12 1/2 feet ( and the same distance from the 128" diagonal 2.35:1 screen ). Too bad I can't afford a Stewart Director's Choice masking screen - you could tailor the size to match the content and to your tastes !
I've had a few guests that feel the same about an image "too big" for their comfort. My sister especially suffers some vertigo if the image is too big, so I re-size my masked image to a comfortable size when she watched movies with us.
(E.g. between 100 to 105" diagonal for 16:9, vs my sometimes going up to 120 or 135" diagonal).
post #8 of 22 Old 07-10-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I hate shakey cam no matter what size it's on. I can no more enjoy it on my 60" LED upstairs than my 144" scope screen. C'mon guys, buy/hire a steady cam. Shakey is not cool.
Marc Wielage likes this.
post #9 of 22 Old 07-10-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 405
I'm sitting just past 10 feet back from 108" (2:35) wide screen and sometimes shaky cam does get to my eyes a little bit. It never was an issue on my 65" plasma.

I agree it's the sheer size, not aspect ratio. In fact, a taller image with the same width would only make the effect worse I imagine.

post #10 of 22 Old 07-10-2014, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've watched Man of steel (not superman) 3 or 4 times on my 120" screen and have never noticed an issue.....I can also fit 144" screen inside my peripheral

post #11 of 22 Old 07-10-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Archaea,

There is one thing you seem to not be taking into consideration.

Last I remember MOS is filtered at 30Hz, or something ridiculous. Try watching a shakycam movie with FULLBANDWIDTH audio and report back to us.

I think Cloverfield doesn't dig much lower than 17Hz, but is a good example to try out.

Why the hell am I even bringing this up? Because you're clearly subconsciously irritated at the audio mix and it's somehow skewing your subjective viewing preferences.

I am not a doctor.
post #12 of 22 Old 07-10-2014, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
Archaea,

There is one thing you seem to not be taking into consideration.

Last I remember MOS is filtered at 30Hz, or something ridiculous. Try watching a shakycam movie with FULLBANDWIDTH audio and report back to us.

I think Cloverfield doesn't dig much lower than 17Hz, but is a good example to try out.

Why the hell am I even bringing this up? Because you're clearly subconsciously irritated at the audio mix and it's somehow skewing your subjective viewing preferences.

I am not a doctor.
Yeah, I really wish these Director's would stop with it already. It is absolutely annoying and unnecessary. The big thing is you can't even see and take anything in before a flash to the next scene. And on and on and on!

Captain Phillips is one of the worst and I'll probably never watch it again because of it. Studio's, "Are you listening!"
post #13 of 22 Old 07-10-2014, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Sorry Popalock,

My reply was not meant to be attached to your comment.
post #14 of 22 Old 07-10-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post
C'mon guys, buy/hire a steady cam. Shakey is not cool.
In one of the behind-the-scenes featurettes for the 2009 Star Trek reboot, you can see J.J. Abrams crouching behind his camera operator and tapping on the film magazine with both hands to make the camera shake.

That's how shaky-cam is actually done. It's not just that the operator can't hold the camera steady. Someone has to go out of their way to rattle the camera around specifically to create that effect.
Marc Wielage likes this.

Josh Z

post #15 of 22 Old 07-10-2014, 08:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
In one of the behind-the-scenes featurettes for the 2009 Star Trek reboot, you can see J.J. Abrams crouching behind his camera operator and tapping on the film magazine with both hands to make the camera shake.

That's how shaky-cam is actually done. It's not just that the operator can't hold the camera steady. Someone has to go out of their way to rattle the camera around specifically to create that effect.
Now I really don't get it.
post #16 of 22 Old 07-10-2014, 08:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:

Then you factor in his lens flare...

post #17 of 22 Old 07-11-2014, 05:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Now I really don't get it.
I think it's supposed to give more of the effect that it was shot by someone live while the event was happening, to give you the feeling of being there. It's something that can be effective if done with moderation. I want to say Saving Private Ryan used it rather effectively, some of the combat scenes used it, but they didn't do like some movies today do where the entire movie looks like it was shot by some ADD kid with a cell phone.

FWIW, I don't recall the new Star Trek films being obnoxiously shaky, but yeah, I think a lot of movies overdo it.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #18 of 22 Old 07-11-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
FWIW, I don't recall the new Star Trek films being obnoxiously shaky, but yeah, I think a lot of movies overdo it.
"Obnoxiously" is subjective, of course, but yes Abrams' two Star Trek films are very shaky.

Josh Z

post #19 of 22 Old 07-14-2014, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
The shaky-cam feature I saw in a theater was actually at a theatre/pub. At $3/show, it is the cheapest place in town to see a movie on a big screen, plus they deliver food to your seat while watching the feature.

I saw Cloverfield at the theatre/pub. I turned to my left to the guy who was seated at the same table. "This must have been better with your drinking; it left me with a headache." He told me, "The beer didn't help."

Inquiries on fool.com had people coming down on two sides: those who ended up not liking the movie saw it at the theater; those who seemed to like it saw it on the small screen. (I now have a big screen HDTV, so I almost never make it to a theater, not even the theatre/pub.)

I haven't seen "Man of Steel" yet (it's in my Netflix queue), so I can't comment about it.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #20 of 22 Old 07-14-2014, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Whatever you do, don't watch Bourne Supremacy.

I totally agree, although in moderation, the "embedded reported" look can be cool. It was really used well in Battlestar Galactica (new series).

It is really sensitive to screen size/angle. Try zooming your screen smaller for those movies.
post #21 of 22 Old 07-14-2014, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Shaky cam doesn't bother me other than I'd like to see what's going on. With Bourne, I would have preferred to see the fight scene choreography than the blurry fast cuts and shaky cam. It didn't add anything for me, but instead detracted from the action.

If it's done well, it gives the effect of action going on/whatever the director is trying to achieve without losing focus on what is actually happening. I think Saving private Ryan was done like that, but for me that did add something.

Gary
John Schuermann likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #22 of 22 Old 07-14-2014, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
I hate shakey cam no matter what size it's on. I can no more enjoy it on my 60" LED upstairs than my 144" scope screen. C'mon guys, buy/hire a steady cam. Shakey is not cool.
There are far, far too many young hotshot directors and cinematographers who are compelled to inject all kinds of artificial "excitement" into their images, using gimmicks like shaky cam, weird color, harsh exposures, trick lenses, and all kinds of stuff. I think on some level they're terrified that their story and characters aren't strong enough to succeed on their own, so they desperately throw in the kitchen sink in order to distract the audience from the film's inadequacies (real or suspected).

I've often said that I don't mind honest handheld camerawork, where the camera is walking around and "observing" the action, but I do object when the camera is zooming and jerking around in a contrived way. I far prefer the use of Steadicam, keeping the motion smooth and unobtrusive, but these gimmicks tend to happen in patterns. This year, it's jerky cam and the orange & teal look; next year, it'll be blown-out whites and long shots without a lot of cutting. Trends come and go.
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page